LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 207 users in the forums

Draft players visiting the niners, and niners going to Prodays

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m #Georgia DT John Jenkins, down to a 338 pounds, is visiting the #Titans today. He's got a #49ers visit scheduled for next week.
Players we with at the Senior Bowl

JC Tretter (OT)
Jamie Collins (OLB)
Robert Alford (CB)
Ty Powell (OLB)
Aaron Mellette (WR)
Blidi Wreh-Wilson (CB)
Philip Thomas(S)

Players met @ East/West Shrine Game

Jeff Baca (OL)
Terry Hawthorne (CB)
Gerald Hodges (LB)
Zach Line (RB)
Sio Moore (LB)
Zeke Motta (S)
Shamarko Thomas (S)
Melvin White (CB)

Combine

Quinton Patton (WR)
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Tyrone Goard - WR, Eastern Kentucky.
Quinton Dial DL Alabama is visting 49ers according to rotoworld
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I never used to follow the draft this closely, I would like to know with our previous high draft picks such as Aldon, Kaep, AJ Jenkins and so on, was it known publicly that say Aldon and AJ both visited the 9ers and we worked out Kaep in private ? I am just trying to guage the players we have no news on visiting still have a chance in getting picked.

Does anyone know ?
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersfaithful85:

UDFA
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersfaithful85:

Nice first post, faithful85.
http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013meetingsteams.php

has a list of all players we've met with from East West Shrine Game to pre draft visits

Keenan Allen, WR, California (COM) Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia (PRI) Jeff Baca, OL, UCLA (EW) Jonathan Cyprien, DB, Florida International (PRI) Quinton Dial, DL, Alabama (PRI) Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford (COM) Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State (PRO) Matt Furstenburg, TE, Maryland (PRI) Tyrone Goard, WR, Eastern Kentucky (PRI) Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois (EW) Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn State (EW) John Jenkins, DL, Georgia (PRI) Luke Joeckel, OL, Texas A&M (COM) Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati (COM) Zach Line, RB, SMU (COM) (EW) Tyrann Mathieu, DB, LSU (PRI) Sio Moore, LB, Connecticut (EW) Zeke Motta, S, Notre Dame (EW) Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech (COM) Eric Reid, DB, LSU (VINT) Sheldon Richardson, DL, Missouri (COM) Phillip Thomas, DB, Fresno State (SR) Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse (EW) Melvin White, CB, Louisiana Lafayette (EW) Duke Williams, DB, Nevada (PRI) Robert Woods, WR, USC (COM)
Originally posted by Rascal:
I never used to follow the draft this closely, I would like to know with our previous high draft picks such as Aldon, Kaep, AJ Jenkins and so on, was it known publicly that say Aldon and AJ both visited the 9ers and we worked out Kaep in private ? I am just trying to guage the players we have no news on visiting still have a chance in getting picked.

Does anyone know ?

Yes it was public. The only one that I'm not 100% sure on is Aldon, but I'm pretty sure he visited 49ers HQ prior too
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Does anyone know ?

Yes it was public. The only one that I'm not 100% sure on is Aldon, but I'm pretty sure he visited 49ers HQ prior too

That is exactly my concern. I am yet to hear any news of a visit or private workout with Junstin Hunter. I am just astonished if we invited Tavon Austin for a visit we didn't do the same with Cordarelle Patterson.

Does anyone know ?
Here is last year's thread:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/164759-visit-workout-tracker-update-drafted-jenkins-fleming-slowey/search=sfout

2011: Of #49ers' pre-draft visitors last year, they drafted 2 (QB Colin Kaepernick, RB Kendall Hunter) and one came undrafted (WR Joe Hastings)
2012: Jenkins, Fleming and Slowey all visited

So whoever we are looking at if they fall to a pick we are comfortable taking them at and they are near the top of our board we probably pull the trigger. We have selected 3 players in the past 2 drafts that we had pre-draft visits so it probably will happen again.

San Diego State TE Gavin Escobar has met with the San Francisco 49ers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/24135/sdsu-te-escobar-meets-with-49ers-buccaneers
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 8, 2013 at 1:32 AM ]
Gavin Escobar is for real. Living here in San Diego I've been to a lot of his games. He really stands out. 6'6" 252 lbs TE. He's big strong and has very natural hands. Snatches it away from his body. He doesn't wait until it hits his pads or chest. He catches away from his body. A natural hands catcher. He's also a very big target. He was clearly one of the best players on San Diego St. IMO. He'd relplace DW in another way. Not as fast but a huge target with far better hands. He has the size and strength to be a good blocker too.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Here is last year's thread:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/164759-visit-workout-tracker-update-drafted-jenkins-fleming-slowey/search=sfout

2011: Of #49ers' pre-draft visitors last year, they drafted 2 (QB Colin Kaepernick, RB Kendall Hunter) and one came undrafted (WR Joe Hastings)
2012: Jenkins, Fleming and Slowey all visited

So whoever we are looking at if they fall to a pick we are comfortable taking them at and they are near the top of our board we probably pull the trigger. We have selected 3 players in the past 2 drafts that we had pre-draft visits so it probably will happen again.

San Diego State TE Gavin Escobar has met with the San Francisco 49ers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/24135/sdsu-te-escobar-meets-with-49ers-buccaneers

Thanks !! That's pretty interesting. Looks like we missed out on David Wilson then. Sigh...

So, in other words, are you saying Combine interviews or having scouts at pro-days probably don't add up to anything unless there is a private workout or formal visit ?

If that is the case, today is already April 8, if there are no more visits announced from now till the draft, noone other than the ones who have either worked out or visited us will stand a chance of being picked ?
Thanks !! That's pretty interesting. Looks like we missed out on David Wilson then. Sigh...

So, in other words, are you saying Combine interviews or having scouts at pro-days probably don't add up to anything unless there is a private workout or formal visit ?

If that is the case, today is already April 8, if there are no more visits announced from now till the draft, noone other than the ones who have either worked out or visited us will stand a chance of being picked ?

Definitely not saying that we have to have a pre-draft visit. I am sure we have picked guys who we have just watched workout. Probably some we didn't show any interest in at all. When they draft a player imo it's like the stars have to align or everything has to fall into place. In the past I have heard Baalke and/or Haraugh say we wanted to draft guys like Marecic, Sherman, Baldin, etc and other non-Stanford players but it just didn't fall into place. Think about us drafting... 1 the player has to be around at our pick obviously 2. it has to be the right round and the right spot... (value) 3. He has to be the highest rated on our board or the highest player at that position. 4. the need has to be there along with best player available (bpa)... not saying we wont get guys that are bpa even if it isn't a need but it's unlikely. Like we wouldn't take a ILB in the 1st round just because he is the BPA. 5. he has to fit our system 6. he has to be our type of player/person... we will cross off many guys who don't fit our scheme, our player type/person type. Some teams automatically cross of troubled players. Some teams don't. Some like smaller faster players, some like big strong players... (ex: small quick CB vs a Richard Sherman type). So that's a lot of things that have to add up. It just isn't we had a pre-draft visit we will get him if he is there. Or we didn't have a visit or watch him workout we won't pick him. Baalke is very hard to predict... we hold our cards tight. So anyways, it's a lot of stars aligning for a player to be picked.

Just an example how a draft can change like that... let's say we were next on the board and were ready to pick Datone Jones at 31. The team in front of us picks him. All of a sudden we went from ready to take a DE to taking a TE. Our (#2 or whatever) ranked DE was rated below the TE we are taking now. So we totally changed positions... and let's say at 61 we don't feel the DE's left are worth value... now we went from DE at 31 to DE 1st beign picked at possibly 74... big difference. I am sure it's happened where we were dead set on a player. He was taked the pick before or a few picks before. We feel the player we have #2 on our board will still be there so we trade down or maybe even give the pick away for a higher round pick next year. We did this with bowman in 2010... We were picking in the 70s I believe. We thought he would still be there in the 90s so we traded down and got San Diego's 4th rounder next year and still got our man. It's a lot of risk... we probably had the list of teams between us and SD and said they aren't likely to take a LB.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:21 AM ]
This Leon Sandcastle nonsense is a waste of time. Okay, it's funny for a five minute slot but NFL Network has him on every hour. Some guys won't let go of the playing and the media hype.
Share 49ersWebzone