There are 229 users in the forums

KID9R 2013 Draft + FA Mock

• KID9R
  • Veteran
J.Goodwin stays for one more year. We had the best O-line in the league last year, let's just leave it alone.
Goodwin graded out as our lowest OL but still was top 10 in the league.per Pro Football Focus
"The worst you can say is that Jonathan Goodwin is a Top 10 center, whereas the rest of the guys are Top 3 at their positions."
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/4/

Re-sign
Dashon Goldson FS Its not looking good, but I would rather keep Goldson, move him to SS and give Whitner's money to him
I.Sopoaga to be a backup at any of the D-Line positions. Will hopefully be cheap 1 year deal. A good NT but prefers DE.
Gooden or Grant: Hopefully Grant but if someone pays him to be a starter, he's gone.

Players not to re-sign
Eric Bakhtiari DE not good
Tramaine Brock CB not good
Leonard Davis G old
Ted Ginn Jr. WR not good
Tavares Gooden Larry Grant LB one stays one goes
Clark Haggans LB old
Brandon Jacobs RB crap
Ricky Jean Francois DE too expensive
John Matthews WR not good
Darcel McBath S not good
Ryan Pontbriand C not good
Delanie Walker TE want him but to expensive
Mike Wilhoite LB

FA
BUF WR David Nelson.
Height: 6-5 Weight: 214 Age: 26
Had 61 rec in 2011. Tore his ACL in week 1 in 2012. Bills have elected not to tender him.
Should be fairly cheap on a 1 or 2 year prove it deal. My hope is that Wheaton is the starter day one but just
in case, Nelson would add some experience on a young WR core.

DET DT Sammie Lee Hill
Height: 6-4 Weight: 329 Age: 26
A good player that has had to play behind Suh, Fairly and Corey Williams. Short amount of playing time could equal a cheaper deal for us.
Would compete for NT and add depth to the whole D-Line.

CLE QB Josh Johnson
Height: 6-3 Weight: 205 Age: 26
Cheap, knows the offence, can run zone read, familliar. Would compete with C.Klein for a spot.

CUTS/TRADE
A.Smith
M.Manningham (injury settlement)
D.Akers
A.Dixon
C.Hall
The following might have trade value with Eagles,Browns,Saints and possibly Falcons and/or Bills Switching to a 3-4.
But they get cut either way. Shhhhh
I.Williams
P.Haralson
W.Tukuafu
Donte Whitner
Draft

Round 1-31
Datone Jones DE or Margus Hunt DE
6'4 283 6'8 277
Who ever is still there. Leaning towards Jones, Margus is a freak but he's overaged.

Round 2-34
Trade down to 54 with Miami. We get a 3rd(#82 via CHI) and a 5th(#140). We use those two picks and pakage them with
our 3rd(#95) to move to about a 2nd(#57).

Round 2-54
Jordan Poyer DB Oregon State
6'0 191

Half of Poyer's six career interceptions came against NFL-caliber quarterbacks, as he picked off Brock Osweiler twice last year and
Matt Barkley in OSU's stunning 36-7 demolition of the Trojans in 2010. Not only did Poyer demonstrate the
confidence and athleticism necessary to handle the one on one responsibilities expected of cornerbacks in
OSU's blitz-heavy scheme, he continued in his role as the Beavers' primary returner, averaging a gaudy 14.1 yards per
return on punts (including an 85-yard touchdown vs. UCLA) and carrying a 25.9 career average on kick returns.
CBSsports.com

Round 2-57
Markus Wheaton WR Oregon State (My only must have player in the draft. IMO He will be the best WR in this class.)
5'11 189

First Team All Pac-12 honors with 91 grabs for 1,244 yards and 11 touchdowns in a breakout performance
that helped him surge past Rodgers, Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh to leave Oregon State as the
school's all-time record holder with 227 career receptions.

A willing receiver over the middle with the toughness to handle running with the ball on the fly-sweep,
Wheaton has the production to prove that he isn't just a track athlete in football pads... he's a big play
waiting to happen. Wheaton tends to play too fast at times in his routes, but when controlled he has the
sudden moves and athleticism to create and make smooth adjustments to the ball. cbssports.com

Round 2-63
Brandon Williams NT Missouri Southern
6'1 335

Just the third player in Division II history to be recognized as a three-time All-American,
Williams earned an opportunity to prove himself against the nation's elite at the Senior Bowl and
turned heads in doing so.
Despite possessing the frame of a traditional run-stuffing nose guard, Williams was used up and down
the line at Missouri Southern and proved to be quite a pass rushing terror, smashing the school record
with 27 career sacks. This wasn't the case of a player dominating weak competition in a few games,
Williams recorded at least one tackle for loss in all but one contest during his senior season.
He ranked second on the team with 68 tackles in 2012 (including 31 solo stops) and recorded 16.5
tackles for loss, 8.5 of which were sacks.
Cbssports.com

Round 3-74
Phillip Thomas FS Fresno State
6'1 208

Blessed with good physical traits and even more impressive instincts and toughness, Thomas has proven
himself to be a natural playmaker over four starting seasons with the Bulldogs. He's responsible for
producing 20 turnovers (13 interceptions, six forced fumbles, one fumble recovery) over his career and
joined Alabama's Dee Milliner and Mississippi State's Johnthan Banks as a finalist for
the 2012 Thorpe Award as the nation's top defender.
cbssports.com

Round 3-comp
Jamie Collins OLB Southern Mississippi
6'4 250
(not sure he'll still be here) mad hops though

Round 4-127
Trade for 2014 3rd round

Round 5-152
Chris Harper WR Kansas State
6'1 230
(Delanie 2.0 exept he can catch.)

Harper is a coordinated athlete with above average body control and focus, tracking the ball
beautifully and snatching it out of the air with his reliable hands. Harper isn't overly explosive and
is more of a one-speed player, but has been improving each game as a route runner and is an effective
perimeter blocker with a strong core for the position. While not a track star, Harper has good-enough
football speed and is one of the more underrated receivers for the 2013 class
cbssport.com

Round 5-159
Reid Fragel OT Ohio State
6'8 308
up against Margus Hunt a lot on this

Round 6-171
Knile Davis RB Arkansas
5'11 227

Round 6-191
Dustin Hopkins K Florida State

Round 7-213
Mark Harrison WR Rutgers
6'3 231

Round 7-213
Joseph Fauria TE UCLA6'7 259

Round 7-comp
Cooper Taylor SS Richmond6'4 229

Round 7-comp
Justice Cunningham TE South Carolina
6'3 258

UDFA
Collin Klein QB Kansas State
6'5 226

QB
C.Kaepernick
S.Tolzien
J.Johnson or C.Klein(PS)

RB
F.Gore
K.Hunter
L.James
K.Davis

FB
B.Miller
D.Dobbs

TE
V.Davis
C.Harper
G.Celek or J.Cunningham(PS)
J.Fauria
D.Dobbs

WR
M.Crabtree
D.Nelson
M.Wheaton
K.Williams(slot)
AJ.Jenkins
M.Harrison

OT
J.Staley
A.Davis
R.Fragel

OG
M.Iupati
A.Boone
J.Looney

C
J.Goodwin
D.Killgore

DE
J.Smith
R.McDonald
Jones or Hunt
I.Sopoaga
S.Hill

NT
S.Hill
B.Williams
I.Sopoaga

OLB
A.Smith
A.Brooks
J.Collins
D.Fleming
C.Johnson

ILB
P.Willis
N.Bowman
L.GrantT.Gooden

CB
T.Brown
C.Culliver
C.Rogers
J.Poyer
P.Cox

FS
P.Thomas
T.Robinson

SS
D.Goldson
CJ.Spillman
C.Taylor

K
D.Hopkins

P
A.Lee

LS
B.Jennings
No way Thomas is there at 74,

Neither will Knile davis in round 6, guy is surgeing up the draft boards.
I like the idea of signing that dood from Detroit. I think he can be a star player under the right circumstance.
Fauria N Hopkins will be gone by them picks N why are ppl so high on hunt he's old we'll have to replace him in 5-6 yrs
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Nice mock, KID9R. Thanks for the effort.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I like the idea of signing that dood from Detroit. I think he can be a star player under the right circumstance.

Sammie Lee Hill played behind some # 1's in Detroit, he could take off with some PT.
An Oregon State fan huh? Your bias shows in your selections and analysis.

Wheaten is in no way, shape, or form the best WR in this draft class. He consistently catches the ball with his body instead of plucking it out of the air. If he doesn't fix this in the NFL, Kaepernick's hard passes will bounce right off his chest and NFL DBs with tight coverage will easily swat the ball away. He has speed and quickness, but he has below average size. He is nowhere near the pass catcher or route runner that Tavon Austin is (another small WR in this class). I'd pick him no sooner than the 3rd round.

Poyer also has no business being selected that soon. He is physically weak and doesn't possess elite speed to help make-up for it. He's a late 3rd rounder.
On the plus side though, I like Datone Jones in the 1st. Your late round selections also look pretty good. And the FA signings are both realistic and would help out our team immensely.
That's a lot of work - thanks.

I really like the Sammi Lee Hill pick-up.

He and Brandon Williams could also be our new jumbo package on D

I like you FA signings. especially the sammy lee hill and David nelson signing.
Datone Jones and Jordan Poyer additions make this an A+ no matter what else you did.

Add in Phillip Thomas, Taylor, Fauria, and oh my!
I like the FA moves (except Ilike keeping D. Walker), no to all the WR's in draft, (we got 3 under contract, and I hear J. Cribbs has drawn our interest-dats 4 WR, just need to draft 1), also, want to keep the #34 pick and take Jessie Williams. Otherwise,I wouldnt feel bad at all if it went your way though.. AND TO ALL THOSE WHO SAY 'THIS GUY,OR THAT GUY WONT BE THERE IN THAT ROUND, ETC...", Remember when all of you said Ray Malauga was a top 10 pick (he went 2nd. rd. ???)..NEVER SAY NEVER !!!
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
I like the FA moves (except Ilike keeping D. Walker), no to all the WR's in draft, (we got 3 under contract, and I hear J. Cribbs has drawn our interest-dats 4 WR, just need to draft 1), also, want to keep the #34 pick and take Jessie Williams. Otherwise,I wouldnt feel bad at all if it went your way though.. AND TO ALL THOSE WHO SAY 'THIS GUY,OR THAT GUY WONT BE THERE IN THAT ROUND, ETC...", Remember when all of you said Ray Malauga was a top 10 pick (he went 2nd. rd. ???)..NEVER SAY NEVER !!!

Preciate the feedback but it's really drafting 2 wide receivers because Harper would move to TE like Walker did. And im Hopeful that Harrison would make the team but more than likely would be a practice squad player
[ Edited by KID9R on Mar 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM ]
I really don't see us bring in Josh Johnson in again he didn't make it last season we us why is this yr different
Share 49ersWebzone