LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 273 users in the forums

Combine thread

Originally posted by buck:
On nfl.com they said that was the fastest 40 ever run by an offensive lineman.

Draft him and move him to TE.

oh, well maybe not.

Waiting for a webzoner to read what he ran and start a thread saying we should draft him just based on his 40. I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Would be nice to see a breakdown of how each player does in the NFL compared with each area of the combine. Doubt the 40 time is that important for linemen...would more look toward explosion off the LOS.

Dtg, they break it down into 10 yd, 20 yd, and 40 yd splits. If you were watching the Combine, you would see most of the coaches seated with their stopwatches at the 10 yd mark. That first split is the most important time for lineman.

I think its all pretty irrelevant since they tape shows if you are explosive or not. The drills are important. Warmack had terrible times but was a technician with his footwork and his pulls were a thing of a beauty
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Joe Staley ‏@jstaley74

It's funny how analysts tell people that u have to be a certain weight to play a position in nfl. I haven't been over 300 lbs in two years
Dtg, they break it down into 10 yd, 20 yd, and 40 yd splits. If you were watching the Combine, you would see most of the coaches seated with their stopwatches at the 10 yd mark. That first split is the most important time for lineman.

Yes, but they also do cone drills and other drills that are more important for OLinemen. My comment was in reply to those citing the 40 times as an important measure...for linemen no, for WRs yes. Nice to have speed but quickness and agility, along with explosiveness are more important.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 23, 2013 at 10:42 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Armstead second attempt 4.71; 1.69! Split

Insanity

do we have a position change to TE?
Lane Johnson had the best split after the first 10 yards supposedly.
Hey! Anyone catch that Te'o interview?!?

CAUSE THEY'RE SHOWING IT EVERY FRICKIN TEN MINUTES.
Originally posted by Genius1310:
Hey! Anyone catch that Te'o interview?!?

CAUSE THEY'RE SHOWING IT EVERY FRICKIN TEN MINUTES.
Tell me about it.
How about the TE workouts? Had to leave to run some errands. Who showed well in drills?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
How about the TE workouts? Had to leave to run some errands. Who showed well in drills?

Tyler Eifert, Chris Gragg, and Vance McDonald were all impressive to me athletically. Dion Sims is also very athletic for his size
[ Edited by Cooper22 on Feb 23, 2013 at 1:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Tyler Eifert, Chris Gragg, and Vance McDonald were all impressive to me athletically. Dion Sims is also very athletic for his size

Dion Sims did very well for himself with his size, great leaper too. Chris Gragg of Arkansas is the athletic freak of this draft at TE. Both of those guys made money today.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM ]
He may not test well but phillip lutzenkirchen of aubrun impressed me with every game i saw auburn play--he gets open and knows how to uncover in the red zone
Originally posted by hofer36:
He may not test well but phillip lutzenkirchen of aubrun impressed me with every game i saw auburn play--he gets open and knows how to uncover in the red zone

He is one of the guys I have to go back and watch film on, it's always hard to evaluate him and players like him from bad teams with bad QB situations but from my notes he needs to work on his separation and route running; all teachable
Originally posted by Jcool:

heading back to my room now, but I'll post something this evening about those how did well and those who didn't
Share 49ersWebzone