LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Identity Crisis' 2013 Mock Draft

Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Datone Jones is no 3-4 DE. I am a UCLA alum, and I've seen him extensively... I know he's popular on the boards, and I absolutely love him, think he's a beast, but not the right guy for us.

He's a lot closer to being a 3-4 DE than Justin Smith was coming out of college. Yes, he's somewhat underweight and he'd be asked to do some different things, but he's got entire skillset and all the tools necessary to succeed.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
The way its looking he will be gone anyway. Guys his size that can rush the QB like he can usually go fast. Dallas is switching to a 4-3 and could grab him. I could also see Indy as a spot.

I disagree, I still see him winding up in the early-mid 2nd round. People at this point last year were predicting Kendall Reyes to go as high as 20th in the 1st, instead he dropped off into about the mid 2nd. Because of all the other defensive line prospects, as well as the depth at offensive tackle which is something a lot of teams need, along with increased focus on improved secondaries...etc, I think the 49ers will have their shot at Jones if they want him, just by staying put.
Datone Jones is no 3-4 DE. I am a UCLA alum, and I've seen him extensively... I know he's popular on the boards, and I absolutely love him, think he's a beast, but not the right guy for us.

agreed.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He's a lot closer to being a 3-4 DE than Justin Smith was coming out of college. Yes, he's somewhat underweight and he'd be asked to do some different things, but he's got entire skillset and all the tools necessary to succeed.
he is a developmental guy for us, the next justin smith. He will put on the needed weight in a year and he can serve on limited snaps as a pure pass rusher
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
he is a developmental guy for us, the next justin smith. He will put on the needed weight in a year and he can serve on limited snaps as a pure pass rusher

This. 49ers aren't bringing in a DE to start immediately, they need a guy who can provide some depth while developing. Jones has the best combination of traits to eventually replace Justin of all the players who will be available to the 49ers.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The way its looking he will be gone anyway. Guys his size that can rush the QB like he can usually go fast. Dallas is switching to a 4-3 and could grab him. I could also see Indy as a spot.

I disagree, I still see him winding up in the early-mid 2nd round. People at this point last year were predicting Kendall Reyes to go as high as 20th in the 1st, instead he dropped off into about the mid 2nd. Because of all the other defensive line prospects, as well as the depth at offensive tackle which is something a lot of teams need, along with increased focus on improved secondaries...etc, I think the 49ers will have their shot at Jones if they want him, just by staying put.

Last year was a much deeper draft and lots of talented guys like Reyes did fall. If Jones is a star at the combines I could easily see him going somewhere in the high 20s. NFL Draftscout actually has him as their 21st ranked player
Originally posted by 60sfan:
Still have a problem with a NT at the top of our draft. Would rather see a 5 technique DE like, Dotone Jones or try and move up and get Sheldon Richardson. I know Williams has experience at DE, but is not agile enough in my opinion to develop into a good pass rusher. Our ability to be effective against the run with our nickel should allow us to get a run stuffer, like Kawame Geathers, further down the draft. Besides, most teams want to run 3 receiver formations at us so we go into the nickle.

Man I think he'd be perfect for both of those teams.
Share 49ersWebzone