LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

**** Best Available UDFA List (Updated with Signings) ****

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by susweel:
When was the last time the niners actually had a quality starter who was a UDFA ?

Derrick Deese ?

We had a Safety, Zack Bronson or something like that around 2002 ish.

Other than that, can't think of anyone else who contributed as an UDFA.

Junior Bryant
Derrick Deese
Dave Fiore
Zack Bronson-----had 7 picks one year I think it was 2001.
Jeff Garcia
With the Texans releasing Jacoby Jones, the chances for UNC product Dwight Jones to make that Texan team just got exponentially greater. I already thought he would make it, now.. well, I don't want to guarantee anything, so I'll just say I have even more reason to believe what I did to start.

I really like the Houston Texans and having lived in Texas for a while after moving from the Bay Area in the 90s after the 49ers Super Bowl against SD, I root for Houston each year to win the AFC. No team will ever compare to the 49ers, but if there is a "2nd most liked team" for me, it's Houston.

I'm happy they landed Jones instead of someone else because if he's going to succeed, I'd rather it be for a team I like instead of one I hate (Cowboys, Packers, Patriots).
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by susweel:
When was the last time the niners actually had a quality starter who was a UDFA ?

Derrick Deese ?

We had a Safety, Zack Bronson or something like that around 2002 ish.

Other than that, can't think of anyone else who contributed as an UDFA.

Junior Bryant
Derrick Deese
Dave Fiore
Zack Bronson-----had 7 picks one year I think it was 2001.
Jeff Garcia

Its been a long time since a UDFA has made any sort of contribution.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
With the Texans releasing Jacoby Jones, the chances for UNC product Dwight Jones to make that Texan team just got exponentially greater. I already thought he would make it, now.. well, I don't want to guarantee anything, so I'll just say I have even more reason to believe what I did to start.

I really like the Houston Texans and having lived in Texas for a while after moving from the Bay Area in the 90s after the 49ers Super Bowl against SD, I root for Houston each year to win the AFC. No team will ever compare to the 49ers, but if there is a "2nd most liked team" for me, it's Houston.

I'm happy they landed Jones instead of someone else because if he's going to succeed, I'd rather it be for a team I like instead of one I hate (Cowboys, Packers, Patriots).

Jacoby got released?
Originally posted by jreff22:
Jacoby got released?

Yep, couldn't find a trade partner, so they decided to waive him.
Jacoby got released?

i would take him and release Williams and Ginn
Jacoby got released?

In my opinion, Williams is a better receiver. Jones and Williams both have return ability, but they both don't protect the ball. Williams is faster and a better blocker. Jones is more of a possession type with height. I don't think we'd gain anything by adding Jacoby. That said, if we keep Ginn.. we have a lot of other return men now with James, Owusu if he makes it, and Perrish Cox.
Jacoby got released?

Why? Jones averages the same as Ginn. Ginn has less yardage and same average, while Jones has more yardage on punts and similar average. Both have fumbled 7 punts. Also both are 27, came in same year(2007). They are similar WR wise, I rather stay with Ginn, who helped us tremendously on Special Teams in 2011.
Jacoby got released?

Why? Jones averages the same as Ginn. Ginn has less yardage and same average, while Jones has more yardage on punts and similar average. Both have fumbled 7 punts. Also both are 27, came in same year(2007). They are similar WR wise, I rather stay with Ginn, who helped us tremendously on Special Teams in 2011.

Jones can offer more at WR IMO. Ginn is on yet another 1 year deal and who knows his future. If the team wont commit long term then he can be replaced in their eyes.
Jacoby got released?

Jones can offer more at WR IMO. Ginn is on yet another 1 year deal and who knows his future. If the team wont commit long term then he can be replaced in their eyes.

I agree Ginn isn't committed by us past 2012, but I'm not sure they will replace him this year, they will likely want to use James at some point in his career. I am not against Jones, but he probably gets no Playing Time at WR. If the team is believed that Moss will produce, they won't sign Jones.

I'm all for cutting Williams. I don't think at this point we keep 6 WRs, not with the way it seems roster wise. The only guy I would keep, but won't make it, is Owusu. He will make it through waivers and be on the PS for 2012 season, then signed for 2013 and given a full chance to make gthe 2013 squad when Moss is likely gone, and it's just Crabtree(Who may or may not be here), Manningham(Depends on 2012 production) and Jenkins at WR.

I in the future hope Crabtree works out, if not we should look in 2013 at a WR possibly. Jenkins will be a nice #2 WR.

If I had if my way, I would trade Crabtree in 2013 offseason, keep Manningham, add a WR through the draft, develop Owusu and Jenkins more. Possibly add a FA WR(Not sure who is FA at this point, have to check my worksheet to see who scheduled up after 2012). If we could get a 4th for Crabtree, then I would do it.

Have a Vet at #1, Manningham and Jenkins fight at #2, a new #4 and Owusu at #5.

Jacoby got released?

I agree Ginn isn't committed by us past 2012, but I'm not sure they will replace him this year, they will likely want to use James at some point in his career. I am not against Jones, but he probably gets no Playing Time at WR. If the team is believed that Moss will produce, they won't sign Jones.

I'm all for cutting Williams. I don't think at this point we keep 6 WRs, not with the way it seems roster wise. The only guy I would keep, but won't make it, is Owusu. He will make it through waivers and be on the PS for 2012 season, then signed for 2013 and given a full chance to make gthe 2013 squad when Moss is likely gone, and it's just Crabtree(Who may or may not be here), Manningham(Depends on 2012 production) and Jenkins at WR.

I in the future hope Crabtree works out, if not we should look in 2013 at a WR possibly. Jenkins will be a nice #2 WR.

If I had if my way, I would trade Crabtree in 2013 offseason, keep Manningham, add a WR through the draft, develop Owusu and Jenkins more. Possibly add a FA WR(Not sure who is FA at this point, have to check my worksheet to see who scheduled up after 2012). If we could get a 4th for Crabtree, then I would do it.

Have a Vet at #1, Manningham and Jenkins fight at #2, a new #4 and Owusu at #5.

I like Owusu...I just don't trust his head to last 16 games. I do agree that we go back to WR again next year, if Alex connects well with Moss I think we will look for a tall guy to help. Pretty much if we can find a Hill clone next year I'm all for it...but not in the 1st.
I have a feeling Moss will have more seasons as a Niner than Manningham.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
I have a feeling Moss will have more seasons as a Niner than Manningham.

You're just saying that cause your screen name has Moss in it
make a new one!
this list is kinda outdated
Share 49ersWebzone