LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Trying to mock Trent Baalke's 2012 draft

In this upcoming draft, we 49ers fans are very excited for the future of the team. We have learned that we have a very competent front office. We've seen first hand of a coaching staff prepare AND adjust, pregame, ingame, and post game. And us Diehard Faithful know how talented of a team we have put together over recent years.

This new year is getting started with a bang with free agency and we all can see Greatness in the now.

I want to have a topic about what we think Trent Baalke's draft will look like; almost to dissect what his thoughts, plans and decisions will look like. All input is appreciated because as Niner Faithful, we can collectively try to predict this years draft!

To start, I think Trent may have slipped a little too much info to the public this week. He may indeed have a favorite prospect since maybe January, and I think he does. Jim Harbaugh has since tried to downplay the talk, and for good reason.

We all know Baalke is aggressive and will make moves to get his guy. But whats different this year than his first two is the lack of quantity that allows us to manuever. I do see Baalke doing his thing and he will make moves, but I dont think he will make drastic trades this year that will yield us only 5 or less draftees.
I think we come out with 6 players drafted with an extra mid rounder next year through a couple moves this year.

On to what i think he will do...

1st round: Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina.
He has the tape. He fits a big need. His stock dropped precombine, but after running well and coming in to the combine in excellent shape, his name hasnt resurfaced in the late mocks Ive seen. I dont see TB making any early trades this year, so I see AJ pick in our 30 slot. Baalke, i think can see Jeffery as a monster contributor in our offense.

And I believe the coaches are very high on 3 olinemen (Kilgore, Person, Boone) on our roster already so guard is not as big a need as we think.
(I personally would try to trade up to 25 with Denver and get Coby Fleener, and thats why I dont run franchises. )

2nd round: Cam Johnson, OLB, Virginia
Good character who is versatile. Baalke and company loves versatility. Early specialteamer who with coaching can become the threat we want on the other side of Aldon.
Hes powerful, rushes inside and out, and will become a better runstopper and rusher than Haralson, sooner rather than later.

3rd round: Antonio Allen, S, South Carolina
A safety to play Whitners SS position and not to take over for Goldson. A tremendous hitter who reminds me of Goldson, but who I think is a better tackler. Very quick in his change of direction who has good coverage skills to go with his intimidating presense. Plays like as linebacker in the run game and UNLIKE Goldson, he runs much better with the ball in his hands. (I think this is a prototype athlete that Baalke and Donatell see on this defense.)

4th round: T Y Hilton, WR;PR;KR;RB;Wildcat, Florida International
This is a trade up to the early 4th. Call him whatever you want, just make sure you add "a big play waiting to happen," and "a diamond in the rough." Call him 6', the guy flat out burned up the clock at his pro day running a 4.35 40 and burned up his competition with over 22 yards averaged on his punt returns and 30 returning kicks. Very good in the slot also. (I promise I do like Kyle Williams , but we need production more than mishaps.)
Hiltons tape does not lie to Baalke.

(With a couple trades-one up and one down, I see us without a fifth this year and an extra fourth next year.)

7th round: Michael Brewster, C, Ohio State
He has the excellent footwork, good use with his hands, and very good getting to the next level in the run game. Plays with a very good low pad level and is noticably quick off the snap. can read the defense. Only question is is how he dropped to the early seventh round. Can he be a starter for us next year too, we want to know!

7th round: Travian Robertson, DL, South Carolina
WOW, it will be a pleasure for you guys to learn who this guy is. He anchored a great defense. Can play the 3technique or 5technique. He can beat double teams
He is a very stand up guy for playing with such good pad level . He fits the mold of a true 49er and I want him on our team. A mature young man with leagership qualities.

*One footnote is that most of our drafted players are going to have to contribute on ST to even make the roster.

thoughts and predictions appreciated from all you draft experts please... sorry for such a long post. Cheers?
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Apr 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM ]
If we pick Alshon Jeffrey in the 1st I will stab somebody.
i like the mock personally though instead of TY hilton i would target someone else like a wright joe adams or someone else with a deep threat hilton is just too small for my liking

unlike a lot i love the alshon jeffery pick dude is top 10 talent who just feel because of his bad naame

he showed uup at 216 pounds and ran a 4.4 in the combine
Yes, Jeffery is very intriguing as to why he fell on the boards. ...although he is not my first or second choice either SanDiego
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Apr 21, 2012 at 7:11 PM ]
I dont think Baalke let anything slip. He told what he wanted to tell.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Yes, Jeffery is very intriguing as to why he fell on the boards. ...although he is not my first or second choice either SanDiego

Yeah, he was highly touted when the season ended. His weight issues and speed were the concerns, but his weight is in check and he's running around 4.5. Speed never was what made him special in college. People are saying he can't get separation, but he's physical and uses his body to separate. Plus he has great awareness when the ball is in the air, good body control, and great hands. He's like a more physical version of Hakeem Nicks, with a little less quickness.

He might not look great on paper, but he dominated some of the best college CBs in the nation every Saturday. Some of those guys are in the NFL now too. I have a hard time believing he's going to fall out of the 1st. Every year players like Hill shoot up draft boards for their offseason workouts and guys like Jeffery fall. We'll see who turns out to be the better pro.
1 OL in the 7th? Doubt it, but then many were surprised we did not draft a NT after releasing Franklin.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

This

more like i'll go on a flat out shooting rampage
Jeffery would be a shock for sure to me.

lol i guess im one of the few that really like alshon
Been high on Hilton for months...would love to see him replace Williams/Ginn
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

Yeah, he was highly touted when the season ended. His weight issues and speed were the concerns, but his weight is in check and he's running around 4.5. Speed never was what made him special in college. People are saying he can't get separation, but he's physical and uses his body to separate. Plus he has great awareness when the ball is in the air, good body control, and great hands. He's like a more physical version of Hakeem Nicks, with a little less quickness.

He might not look great on paper, but he dominated some of the best college CBs in the nation every Saturday. Some of those guys are in the NFL now too. I have a hard time believing he's going to fall out of the 1st. Every year players like Hill shoot up draft boards for their offseason workouts and guys like Jeffery fall. We'll see who turns out to be the better pro.

Originally posted by drake49er:

This

+1
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
lol i guess im one of the few that really like alshon
I actually like Alshon as well he seems like the type of player with alot of talent that just needs to go to a good team enviroment. To me he's one of the few wideouts in the draft that could be a true number 1.
Alshon is a beast, he can snatch the ball at the highest point, beating DBs in tight coverage. Which is perfect for Alex Smith because he has a tendency to throw it high to receivers anyways. Why are people against AJ, i don't understand why? He has the potential with good size and speed. He's a steal
Share 49ersWebzone