There are 180 users in the forums

"Tape"

This was stated a few years ago, but seems like it needs to be restated. You don't have GAME TAPE, you've never seen GAME TAPE, so please stop telling people to "go watch the tape" or "I like this player on tape." Now, I understand this does not apply to all of you, and I apologize for those who actually do have access to something most of us do not have access to, but by and large, this claim of "game tape" is absurd.

Now there are 4 types of tape that I know of:

Scouting Tape: This has every angle of a player, and follows the player, not the play, through every play they've been in. Trent Baalke and staff watch this. NFL Network crews have this. 99-100% of people here have never seen this.

Game Tape: This is recordings of the actual game. While this has limited use for certain positions (CBs--because if they play well, they won't show up on game footage), it does give you a strong sense of a player if you focus on them. While many have seen Andrew Luck on this type of tape, please don't tell me you've evaluated the likes of Stephen Hill. I may be a pessimist on the topic, but somehow I don't think many people recorded Georgia Tech games to watch in the offseason.

YouTube isolated plays: This is the best resource I know. It has several players (far from all), and shows every play they've participated in for a few games. Highlights, lowlights, and even blocking plays for WRs. This isn't perfect, but gives a good sense. If this is what you refer to watching, I can appreciate that. It's efficient and effective, and given that none of us are paid evaluators, it's pretty good for our purpose.

YouTube highlights: This is the lowest possible form of evaluation. It is a compilation of good plays a player has had, with slow motion, background music, and limited special effects. I can put together a highlight reel of ever NFL player, including Kwame Harris, JT O'Sullivan, and Mark Roman (OK, maybe not Mark Roman). If this is the "tape" you've watched, please be honest and say, "In his highlights, this player has not dropped passes" rather than "shows great hands on tape"

Again, my apologies if this does not apply to you, but there are some that I believe have been mis-using the term "tape" to imply something that is not accurate.
lulz thanks for this man. I see some people posting that too. I never say anything, just let out a little giggle. We all know that most of you consider YouTube highlights as "tape"
I think we have this thread every year.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
I think we have this thread every year.

This.

Though I admit, I do record a lot of games (2-3 per weekend) and rewatch them when I can, isolating certain players of need (recorded/re-watched a ton of Newton, Gabbert and Kap's games in 2010). In no way is it "watching tape" in the true sense of the phrase, but it does give me a deeper appreciation for some of these players.
I honestly think this is inciting, especially since it is talked about every year and there's nothing any one of us can do to change it and if there were, then we would be too busy and important to be posting our findings on the zone.

I'm sure no one is just consolidating others' mock drafts and them making their own big board from that. Ghost and MD and others are probably working hard and if I were them, I would see this "game film" yearly comment as a slap in the face at the hard work being done with whatever resources you guys can get.

It is really a non conversation and turns into negative things.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I honestly think this is inciting, especially since it is talked about every year and there's nothing any one of us can do to change it and if there were, then we would be too busy and important to be posting our findings on the zone.

I'm sure no one is just consolidating others' mock drafts and them making their own big board from that. Ghost and MD and others are probably working hard and if I were them, I would see this "game film" yearly comment as a slap in the face at the hard work being done with whatever resources you guys can get.

I follow college football and the draft very closely like a lot of you do, but I know that I don't have access to any kind of "tape." I do what Ghost does and I record the games of teams with players I feel are either fits for the Niners or top rated prospects. That's the best that I could do with the occasional Youtube videos.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

I follow college football and the draft very closely like a lot of you do, but I know that I don't have access to any kind of "tape." I do what Ghost does and I record the games of teams with players I feel are either fits for the Niners or top rated prospects. That's the best that I could do with the occasional Youtube videos.

In the context on this forum, though. Isn't it just semantics? No need to get so stuck on terms. Everybody knows the meaning of the phrase when posed to eachother on this board.

Really... the use of "doe", "dem", "dat" is much more annoying.
[ Edited by OKC49erFan on Mar 1, 2012 at 9:08 AM ]

In the context on this forum, though. Isn't it just semantics? No need to get so stuck on terms. Everybody knows the meaning of the phrase when posed to eachother on this board.

It is still inciting negatively towards people's hard work/hobbie. Talking about Alex Smith is one thing since no one is invested in anything in Alex unless Alex rides this board and posts...but throwing this in the face of the folks who put some info together for us always turns bad and it is a topic that never goes in a positive direction.

It is still inciting negatively towards people's hard work/hobbie. Talking about Alex Smith is one thing since no one is invested in anything in Alex unless Alex rides this board and posts...but throwing this in the face of the folks who put some info together for us always turns bad and it is a topic that never goes in a positive direction.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I don't see the need for the yearly "none of you has game tape" thread. I think this is understood by everybody. When the phrase "go watch the tape" is used, I'm pretty sure everybody knows they are simply saying go watch the prospect playing in an actual game. The word "tape" isn't really exclusively reserved for coach's game tape. A simple phrase, nothing more to it.
What did he say? I'm busy watching tape

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
What did he say? I'm busy watching tape

Just to clarify. This is not meant as a slight to Ghost, OTC, MD, and a few others. I'm referring more to people who throw the term around loosely, and don't actually even watch games, instead look exclusively at highlights. Perhaps the better topic title is "highlights are not tape". I meant the other 3 tape options as perfectly valid, and completely understand that really the mid 2 are the best resources any of us have. I apologize if it came off as insulting to people who record and watch games, because I really respect that. It's particularly the "I watched a 30 second highlight, and thus think I can talk about tape" people that I'm trying to speak to.
ESPN3 anybody?
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Just to clarify. This is not meant as a slight to Ghost, OTC, MD, and a few others. I'm referring more to people who throw the term around loosely, and don't actually even watch games, instead look exclusively at highlights. Perhaps the better topic title is "highlights are not tape". I meant the other 3 tape options as perfectly valid, and completely understand that really the mid 2 are the best resources any of us have. I apologize if it came off as insulting to people who record and watch games, because I really respect that. It's particularly the "I watched a 30 second highlight, and thus think I can talk about tape" people that I'm trying to speak to.

With that... yeah, you're right.

U mad, doe
Share 49ersWebzone