LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 426 users in the forums

Report: Niners 'lukewarm' on slipping Gabbert

• 4ML
  • Veteran
According to NFL Network's Mike Lombardi, the 49ers' interest in Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert is "lukewarm."

Lombardi believes Gabbert's stock is "slipping," and that he will be available at No. 7 for San Francisco. Lombardi even suggested Gabbert "could easily slide out of the top ten." Meanwhile, NFLN draft analyst Mike Mayock believes Gabbert's "worst case scenario" is going eighth to the Titans. With the draft just three days away, we still have a poor feel for Gabbert's landing spot.

Link

With 2 days to go, can't take this very seriously...but if true, I'm not surprised.
Im confident in saying that the Niners will not draft Gabbert if he is there at 7
The whole crop of qb's are shaky. No need to take one that early. Newton or Gabbert. I'd pass on both of them.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lamontb:
The whole crop of qb's are shaky. No need to take one that early. Newton or Gabbert. I'd pass on both of them.
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Context is really an issue here. NFL-N needed to fill time on Path to the Draft so they were discussing possibilities of guys falling.

Lombardi made an off-hand remark saying he hears that SF is lukewarm so he may fall past 7.

Now I think SF is lukewarm on Gabbert. And I myself, am lukewarm on Gabbert. But to the extent this is being reported I really feel like they are grasping at straws.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Im confident in saying that the Niners will not draft Gabbert if he is there at 7

I'm more on the hopeful side.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
If Gabbert is there at 7, and Peterson is not - I believe we will get a trading partner. Vikings and Redskins will be potential partners, while Miami and Jackonville with the outside chance.
This just means that at #7, the 49ers don't consider Gabbert a top 7 player (which he isn't), but they would be comfortable taking him somewhere in the Josh Freeman/Joe Flacco range.

If Peterson, Von Miller, or Dareus are off the board by the 49ers pick, then I expect a trade down, but the team who wants to come up probably is not targeting Gabbert either.

If the 49ers don't consider Gabbert a top 7 player, then you can bet most teams don't either, so any team trading up is probably targeting Julio Jones, Robert Quinn, or Bowers etc.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I just don't see Gabbert lasting till 7. Teams are going to want to jump ahead of us in fear that we may want him too.

I pray that Gabbert, Newton, AJ Green are all gone by the time we pick. That would mean Dareus, PP, Miller, and/or Quinn will still be on the board.

• evil
  • Veteran
It could also be a smokescreen, perhaps they are red hot about Gabbert.
Originally posted by susweel:
There is so much smoke filling the room these days, that it is impossible to see the truth. I doubt a slide past the Bengals at 4. What are the Bengals going to do? Start Jordan Palmer?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
There is so much smoke filling the room these days, that it is impossible to see the truth. I doubt a slide past the Bengals at 4. What are the Bengals going to do? Start Jordan Palmer?

Agreed. Though I see them taking Green, and a QB in the 2nd.

The Giants were "lukewarm" on Pepper Johnson under Parcells. These comments don't mean anything.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 26, 2011 at 09:54:38 ]
Originally posted by KRS-1:
It could also be a smokescreen, perhaps they are red hot about Gabbert.

Exactly. This year even more than most, what teams wants to leak out their plans (one would only do this if they felt it wouldn't matter and not hurt themselves)? Makes way more sense to leak false info.
Share 49ersWebzone