Looks like the majority so far would like us to trade up from #45 to grab Ponder, Dalton or Kaepernick.
Seems like that's probably the most likely, so there should be some happy 49er fans next week.
I voted for Locker, who is still, despite his senior season, my favorite QB this year. But I'd also be very happy with Kaepernick or Ponder (in that order).
I would be nice to get some more votes in here. I know there are more than 13 people on this board with an opinion on this....
There are 794 users in the forums
Which QB would you take?
Browse 49ers books and videos
Which QB would you take?
Apr 22, 2011 at 4:02 PM
- TheFunkyChicken
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,364
Apr 22, 2011 at 4:08 PM
- susweel
- Hall of Nepal
- Posts: 122,127
In all honesty none of these dudes are overly impressive prospects. Andrew Luck would have easily been the number 1 pick, the drop off between him and the rest of these dudes is tremendous.
Apr 22, 2011 at 4:21 PM
- WildBill
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,217
Originally posted by susweel:
In all honesty none of these dudes are overly impressive prospects. Andrew Luck would have easily been the number 1 pick, the drop off between him and the rest of these dudes is tremendous.
Forget about Luck, he ain't in the draft. You gotta deal with the hand you are dealt in the here and now.
As the draft makes the final turn around the corner Christian Ponder is in the lead, Closely followed by Kaep and Dalton who are neck and neck. Oh my look who is breaking around the corner and making a mad dash for 49ers QB of the future, its its its..........we will be right about after a word from our sponsors.
Apr 22, 2011 at 4:28 PM
- SanDiego49er
- Veteran
- Posts: 52,314
Blaine Gabbert at #7. Or trade up from #45 for Andy Dalton or Christian Ponder. Or take Kaepernick in the 2nd at #45. Those are the only scenarios worthwhile IMO. Maybe Stanzi staying put in the 3rd round.
Apr 22, 2011 at 4:32 PM
- susweel
- Hall of Nepal
- Posts: 122,127
Originally posted by WildBill:Originally posted by susweel:
In all honesty none of these dudes are overly impressive prospects. Andrew Luck would have easily been the number 1 pick, the drop off between him and the rest of these dudes is tremendous.
Forget about Luck, he ain't in the draft. You gotta deal with the hand you are dealt in the here and now.
As the draft makes the final turn around the corner Christian Ponder is in the lead, Closely followed by Kaep and Dalton who are neck and neck. Oh my look who is breaking around the corner and making a mad dash for 49ers QB of the future, its its its..........we will be right about after a word from our sponsors.
Cam Newton probably is best prospect.
Apr 22, 2011 at 4:42 PM
- jacklegniner
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,206
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Looks like the majority so far would like us to trade up from #45 to grab Ponder, Dalton or Kaepernick.
Seems like that's probably the most likely, so there should be some happy 49er fans next week.
I voted for Locker, who is still, despite his senior season, my favorite QB this year. But I'd also be very happy with Kaepernick or Ponder (in that order).
I would be nice to get some more votes in here. I know there are more than 13 people on this board with an opinion on this....
I was the same way. I'm fine with the Ponder, Dalton or Kaep route. I voted for trading back to grab Locker. I just like the guy. Because we are at the end of the Qb push in round 2, i would be ok to trade back in the first and just pick any of the QB's we want to rest assure that we get the guy we want.
Apr 22, 2011 at 4:46 PM
- WildBill
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,217
Originally posted by susweel:Originally posted by WildBill:Originally posted by susweel:
In all honesty none of these dudes are overly impressive prospects. Andrew Luck would have easily been the number 1 pick, the drop off between him and the rest of these dudes is tremendous.
Forget about Luck, he ain't in the draft. You gotta deal with the hand you are dealt in the here and now.
As the draft makes the final turn around the corner Christian Ponder is in the lead, Closely followed by Kaep and Dalton who are neck and neck. Oh my look who is breaking around the corner and making a mad dash for 49ers QB of the future, its its its..........we will be right about after a word from our sponsors.
Cam Newton probably is best prospect.
I am gonna go on record and say that Cam and Gabbert's career will be like Harbaugh himself, plays a long time but nothing special. Meaning I don't want them and think they are the next best thing. I say let someone else take Cam and after he fails because of expectations, then maybe pick him up and hopes he has a Doug William's revival.
I am hoping for a Brady/Brees/Montana/Marino/Young kind of Xmas. In other words a QB you don't use a high pick (top ten) on.
Apr 22, 2011 at 5:16 PM
- susweel
- Hall of Nepal
- Posts: 122,127
Originally posted by WildBill:Originally posted by susweel:Originally posted by WildBill:Originally posted by susweel:
In all honesty none of these dudes are overly impressive prospects. Andrew Luck would have easily been the number 1 pick, the drop off between him and the rest of these dudes is tremendous.
Forget about Luck, he ain't in the draft. You gotta deal with the hand you are dealt in the here and now.
As the draft makes the final turn around the corner Christian Ponder is in the lead, Closely followed by Kaep and Dalton who are neck and neck. Oh my look who is breaking around the corner and making a mad dash for 49ers QB of the future, its its its..........we will be right about after a word from our sponsors.
Cam Newton probably is best prospect.
I am gonna go on record and say that Cam and Gabbert's career will be like Harbaugh himself, plays a long time but nothing special. Meaning I don't want them and think they are the next best thing. I say let someone else take Cam and after he fails because of expectations, then maybe pick him up and hopes he has a Doug William's revival.
I am hoping for a Brady/Brees/Montana/Marino/Young kind of Xmas. In other words a QB you don't use a high pick (top ten) on.
Yes I agree, lower pick QBs have less pressure on them to succeed.
Apr 22, 2011 at 5:25 PM
- WildBill
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,217
Originally posted by susweel:Originally posted by WildBill:Originally posted by susweel:Originally posted by WildBill:Originally posted by susweel:
In all honesty none of these dudes are overly impressive prospects. Andrew Luck would have easily been the number 1 pick, the drop off between him and the rest of these dudes is tremendous.
Forget about Luck, he ain't in the draft. You gotta deal with the hand you are dealt in the here and now.
As the draft makes the final turn around the corner Christian Ponder is in the lead, Closely followed by Kaep and Dalton who are neck and neck. Oh my look who is breaking around the corner and making a mad dash for 49ers QB of the future, its its its..........we will be right about after a word from our sponsors.
Cam Newton probably is best prospect.
I am gonna go on record and say that Cam and Gabbert's career will be like Harbaugh himself, plays a long time but nothing special. Meaning I don't want them and think they are the next best thing. I say let someone else take Cam and after he fails because of expectations, then maybe pick him up and hopes he has a Doug William's revival.
I am hoping for a Brady/Brees/Montana/Marino/Young kind of Xmas. In other words a QB you don't use a high pick (top ten) on.
Yes I agree, lower pick QBs have less pressure on them to succeed.
Not only that but they might be pissed (if you pick the right one) that they were passed over for another QB? ala Brady. With that in mind, which QB in this class grew up idolizing Manning or Brady and watched him play? He is the one!!!
Apr 22, 2011 at 5:30 PM
- TheFunkyChicken
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,364
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Blaine Gabbert at #7. Or trade up from #45 for Andy Dalton or Christian Ponder. Or take Kaepernick in the 2nd at #45. Those are the only scenarios worthwhile IMO. Maybe Stanzi staying put in the 3rd round.
I think Kaepernick at #45 or Stanzi with out third are certainly possible outcomes. But right now it seems like all the QBs are going to go a little earlier than expected. So I tried to slot them in spots where we would take them if we really want them. Rather than slot them in places where we could get lucky and have them drop.
I mean sure, if Mallett or Locker drop to #45 that'd be awesome. But I think we will have to make a deliberate move to get our guy. That could be trading up or down. Or it could be "reaching" for a guy to make sure he doesn't slip away.
If we don't make a deliberate move for a QB, and just wait to see who falls to us, then I think that means Harbaugh isn't too excited about any of these guys.
Apr 22, 2011 at 5:38 PM
- 24plus25er
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,180
Honestly I would love to get a proverbial "stud" like Gabbert, Dalton, or Ponder but I think after this whole Alex scenario we need to lay low on high pick quaterbacks. The mass majority of our fan base has very high expectations when it comes to being the QB for the 49ers, and have very little tolerance for failure.
I can't be mad at them because Joe Montana and Steve Young are HOF'ers, but nor Joe/Steve were number one overall picks neither. Nor Steve or Joe had to play amongst pure iggnorance and bafoonery for seven straight years with a diffrent offensive coordinator every year. We got Joe with a late round pick, and Steve for what he was worth at the time to what he developed into we got him for dirt cheap.
I think this draft we need to lay low and go with a guy like Greg McElroy. Not a lot of teams are talking about him, but he has all the intangibles a team in our position needs. He's smart, well prepared, has the skills to play the game, and will quitely hold the clip board and learn the ins and out of the WCO to a T until his number is called.
I think if Jim is REALLY going to try and give it one more run with Alex then he needs his rookie QB to be self sufficent and not worried about getting first team snaps. Jim needs someone who you can teach without holding their hand or giving them a false sense of entitlement.
If we do decide to give Alex one more song and dance, lets keep a plan b. but not someone like Gabbert, Dalton, or any of the other top QB's who I think would cause more confusion at this point than bring stability.
I would like our QB roster to be;
1. Marc Bulger
2. Alex Smith
3. Greg McElroy
From what I've seen from these three I think they could work together and help each other be ready to play if their number is called, but at the same time keep the qb battle intresting during camp.
I can't be mad at them because Joe Montana and Steve Young are HOF'ers, but nor Joe/Steve were number one overall picks neither. Nor Steve or Joe had to play amongst pure iggnorance and bafoonery for seven straight years with a diffrent offensive coordinator every year. We got Joe with a late round pick, and Steve for what he was worth at the time to what he developed into we got him for dirt cheap.
I think this draft we need to lay low and go with a guy like Greg McElroy. Not a lot of teams are talking about him, but he has all the intangibles a team in our position needs. He's smart, well prepared, has the skills to play the game, and will quitely hold the clip board and learn the ins and out of the WCO to a T until his number is called.
I think if Jim is REALLY going to try and give it one more run with Alex then he needs his rookie QB to be self sufficent and not worried about getting first team snaps. Jim needs someone who you can teach without holding their hand or giving them a false sense of entitlement.
If we do decide to give Alex one more song and dance, lets keep a plan b. but not someone like Gabbert, Dalton, or any of the other top QB's who I think would cause more confusion at this point than bring stability.
I would like our QB roster to be;
1. Marc Bulger
2. Alex Smith
3. Greg McElroy
From what I've seen from these three I think they could work together and help each other be ready to play if their number is called, but at the same time keep the qb battle intresting during camp.
[ Edited by 24plus25er on Apr 22, 2011 at 5:42 PM ]
Apr 22, 2011 at 6:24 PM
- iceberg450r
- Veteran
- Posts: 342
Jake Locker.... IMO has the most raw talent and we got the right coach to mold him .... reminds me of a Steve Young he can make plays with his feet but could be injury prone.
Apr 22, 2011 at 7:32 PM
- jacklegniner
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,206
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Honestly I would love to get a proverbial "stud" like Gabbert, Dalton, or Ponder but I think after this whole Alex scenario we need to lay low on high pick quaterbacks. The mass majority of our fan base has very high expectations when it comes to being the QB for the 49ers, and have very little tolerance for failure.
I can't be mad at them because Joe Montana and Steve Young are HOF'ers, but nor Joe/Steve were number one overall picks neither. Nor Steve or Joe had to play amongst pure iggnorance and bafoonery for seven straight years with a diffrent offensive coordinator every year. We got Joe with a late round pick, and Steve for what he was worth at the time to what he developed into we got him for dirt cheap.
I think this draft we need to lay low and go with a guy like Greg McElroy. Not a lot of teams are talking about him, but he has all the intangibles a team in our position needs. He's smart, well prepared, has the skills to play the game, and will quitely hold the clip board and learn the ins and out of the WCO to a T until his number is called.
I think if Jim is REALLY going to try and give it one more run with Alex then he needs his rookie QB to be self sufficent and not worried about getting first team snaps. Jim needs someone who you can teach without holding their hand or giving them a false sense of entitlement.
If we do decide to give Alex one more song and dance, lets keep a plan b. but not someone like Gabbert, Dalton, or any of the other top QB's who I think would cause more confusion at this point than bring stability.
I would like our QB roster to be;
1. Marc Bulger
2. Alex Smith
3. Greg McElroy
From what I've seen from these three I think they could work together and help each other be ready to play if their number is called, but at the same time keep the qb battle intresting during camp.
i am not coming down on you, but man that QB roster to me looks Disgusting!!! If Smith comes back than whatever, i can't do anything about it. I would rather just close the door. I wouldn't mind TJ Yates or Stanzi and in the beginning i liked McElroy but it scares me that No One showed to his pro day. using some of those 6th or 7th rounders on a QB would be good because those guys don't have too much of a chance at making the team.
i wouldn't mind:
1. Bulger or Mcnabb or V. Young - all can be cheap options
2. Stanzi
3. TJ Yates or another 7th rounder