49ers vs. Seahawks Tickets Available! →

There are 599 users in the forums

Bady 6 and our drafting a QB

Browse 49ers books and videos
Greg McElroy IMO. He's real accurate, from a pro style O, and is a winner, but nobody wants to give him credit and they downplay his talent because he had Ingram as his RB.
Mallett to me seems like the guy who will want to either prove everyone wrong or just give up or get into trouble once he gets his money. Depends on who is around him and how the team treats him. I can see him being the guy that cracks once 1 small thing goes wrong. Kind of like the pitcher who can go 6 shutout inning than a fielder makes an error and it just snowballs from there. Next thing you know he's given up 4 runs and is irate. Not sure he is the guy who can be like Joe Cool or Brady who basically stay calm no matter what.

Gabbert doesn't strike me as the player that wants to be the best. Honestly, fewer and fewer players are that way every year. Fewer players have that drive and dedication every year. Unfortunately, a lot of them are fine settling for a paycheck. And I'm not talking about the rookies, a lot of vets do that too.

P.S. If you think about it these guys have put in 1,000s of hours working out, studying film, practicing, traveling, playing the games for 0 pay (most of them any ways). Now I can understand how some say I want to get to the NFL and get paid. That's fine but there's that small percentage who say getting to the NFL was the start, I want to be the best ever. Imagine what Jerry Rice put in from pee wee football and catching bricks with his Dad all the way through 20 years of the NFL. How many people out there could put that much into something?
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 10, 2011 at 5:20 PM ]
This was the ESPN thingy? How long was the show? I want to try and catch it.

-9fA
Originally posted by WildBill:
Saw the piece on Brady, wow the guy was emotional. Was projected and told by some teams that he may go as high as the 2nd. Then finally went in the sixth. He made it clear although not in these exact words that he was going to show the others (including the niners who took the great one Gio whats his name).

One can never underestimate the heart. That is why I don't want a Cam and Gabbert, they feel like they are entitled if they are taken so high. Maybe (though we know it won't happen), if they slid to the third, they may change their attitude and strive, but I feel they will get that thinking I arrived and feel everything will fall into place instead of trying to strive to be better. Although Mallet may not fit the bill of what JH says he wants, Mallet he fall into the category of wanting to prove those wrong if he falls into the second.

Though the talent still has to be there, I think heart and as they say the it factor should never be overlooked.

So who do you think posses(sp?) as that type-someone who will fall and prevail with that mad at the world attitude, I'll show you demeanor?

Agree that many top choices feel entitled and are less coachable. This includes WRs, QBs and CBs. Probably true for all but the higher profile positions tend to be more extreme. While it's difficult to evaluate heart I believe it is the most necessary attribute for becoming a great player at the highest level.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Mallett to me seems like the guy who will want to either prove everyone wrong or just give up or get into trouble once he gets his money. Depends on who is around him and how the team treats him. I can see him being the guy that cracks once 1 small thing goes wrong. Kind of like the pitcher who can go 6 shutout inning than a fielder makes an error and it just snowballs from there. Next thing you know he's given up 4 runs and is irate. Not sure he is the guy who can be like Joe Cool or Brady who basically stay calm no matter what.

Gabbert doesn't strike me as the player that wants to be the best. Honestly, fewer and fewer players are that way every year. Fewer players have that drive and dedication every year. Unfortunately, a lot of them are fine settling for a paycheck. And I'm not talking about the rookies, a lot of vets do that too.

P.S. If you think about it these guys have put in 1,000s of hours working out, studying film, practicing, traveling, playing the games for 0 pay (most of them any ways). Now I can understand how some say I want to get to the NFL and get paid. That's fine but there's that small percentage who say getting to the NFL was the start, I want to be the best ever. Imagine what Jerry Rice put in from pee wee football and catching bricks with his Dad all the way through 20 years of the NFL. How many people out there could put that much into something?

I wouldn't touch Mallet unless he fell to #45. The guy screams immature to me. He may want to prove people wrong but even at his best he doesn't have things that would make him a good fit for this system. A WCO QB doesn't need a rocket arm but he does need to be able to move around a bit. As soon as Mallett gets some pressure at him he looks like a 7th round level QB. Throwing on the move? His accuracy goes out the window.

Not to mention he'll probably be like Favre out there constantly thinking his arm is good enough to make a throw that shouldn't be made.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Mallett to me seems like the guy who will want to either prove everyone wrong or just give up or get into trouble once he gets his money. Depends on who is around him and how the team treats him. I can see him being the guy that cracks once 1 small thing goes wrong. Kind of like the pitcher who can go 6 shutout inning than a fielder makes an error and it just snowballs from there. Next thing you know he's given up 4 runs and is irate. Not sure he is the guy who can be like Joe Cool or Brady who basically stay calm no matter what.

Gabbert doesn't strike me as the player that wants to be the best. Honestly, fewer and fewer players are that way every year. Fewer players have that drive and dedication every year. Unfortunately, a lot of them are fine settling for a paycheck. And I'm not talking about the rookies, a lot of vets do that too.

P.S. If you think about it these guys have put in 1,000s of hours working out, studying film, practicing, traveling, playing the games for 0 pay (most of them any ways). Now I can understand how some say I want to get to the NFL and get paid. That's fine but there's that small percentage who say getting to the NFL was the start, I want to be the best ever. Imagine what Jerry Rice put in from pee wee football and catching bricks with his Dad all the way through 20 years of the NFL. How many people out there could put that much into something?

I don't want Mallet either, but that comparison is way off in my opinion. Ryan Mallet is nothing like Barry Zito............ he throws much harder
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Mallett to me seems like the guy who will want to either prove everyone wrong or just give up or get into trouble once he gets his money. Depends on who is around him and how the team treats him. I can see him being the guy that cracks once 1 small thing goes wrong. Kind of like the pitcher who can go 6 shutout inning than a fielder makes an error and it just snowballs from there. Next thing you know he's given up 4 runs and is irate. Not sure he is the guy who can be like Joe Cool or Brady who basically stay calm no matter what.

Gabbert doesn't strike me as the player that wants to be the best. Honestly, fewer and fewer players are that way every year. Fewer players have that drive and dedication every year. Unfortunately, a lot of them are fine settling for a paycheck. And I'm not talking about the rookies, a lot of vets do that too.

P.S. If you think about it these guys have put in 1,000s of hours working out, studying film, practicing, traveling, playing the games for 0 pay (most of them any ways). Now I can understand how some say I want to get to the NFL and get paid. That's fine but there's that small percentage who say getting to the NFL was the start, I want to be the best ever. Imagine what Jerry Rice put in from pee wee football and catching bricks with his Dad all the way through 20 years of the NFL. How many people out there could put that much into something?

Not to digress, but rice didn't play pee wee football. His drive came because he replaced Solomon and Walsh was always looking for WR talent like Renaldo and others, flet very insecure like someone was always going to take away his dream. That is what drove him.

However, that is what needs to be instilled in players, that it is not a right but a privillege to be in the NFL and what was given can be taken away in the blink of an eye by the man upstairs. Ask Montana, ask Bledsoe etc.
Well then Brady should be pissed at the Patriots as well, they passed on him several times too!

Make 'em pay Tom!
Cam put the team on his back and won plenty of times last year. Steve Young was a 1st overall pick and he wasnt ruined by being too entitled for being picked too high. either was peyton manning, matt ryan and a bunch of other guys. we need to take a guy who fits what we want to do and shows he can put everything on his back when the game is on the line.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone