Debated mock draft - SF OTC

Originally posted by kingkong916:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
1. Car - Newton
2. Den - Peterson
3. SF (from Buf) - Gabbert

Trade #7, 3rd rounder, 4th rounder, and next year's 2nd rounder

for #3

NO WAY! not trading all of those picks for Gabbert...

That's chump change if Gabbert becomes a true franchise QB, which I believe he will. Its very similar to how the Jets did it:

Year 1: Draft 2 O-line in the first round
Year 2: Trade up and draft a QB.
- Year 2: Make playoff run
1. Car - Newton
2. Den - Peterson

for #3

I don't see it for several reasons:

1) the idea of getting Harbaugh is that he can develope any QB, not have to trade up for the elite one

2) waaaaaaay too many holes on the defense

3) too many impact players in the top 7

However.... If Harbaugh says that he can turn Gabbert into Luck, then they'll definitely do all they can to grab him.

I wanted to do the draft without trades, but I'll strongly consider this
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
1. Car - Newton
2. Den - Peterson

for #3

1) the idea of getting Harbaugh is that he can develope any QB, not have to trade up for the elite one

However.... If Harbaugh says that he can turn Gabbert into Luck, then they'll definitely do all they can to grab him.

While I agree that there are plenty of wholes scattered throughout the defense, landing a franchise QB ranks higher than taking a 3rd or 4th round chance on a guy. This road requires more FA moves however, and I don't know if Jed York/Baalke are ready to pony up with the big bucks.

Every year we talk about getting 1 to 2 starters and 2 to 4 developmental projects per draft. And what I have stated above would be no different. I also kept this years' 2nd pick to secure a CB or OLB like Aaron Williams or Brooks Reed.
1. Car - Newton
2. Den - Peterson

for #3

While I agree that there are plenty of wholes scattered throughout the defense, landing a franchise QB ranks higher than taking a 3rd or 4th round chance on a guy. This road requires more FA moves however, and I don't know if Jed York/Baalke are ready to pony up with the big bucks.

Every year we talk about getting 1 to 2 starters and 2 to 4 developmental projects per draft. And what I have stated above would be no different. I also kept this years' 2nd pick to secure a CB or OLB like Aaron Williams or Brooks Reed.

Here are NY thoughts:

-we took a risk with a young inexperienced Jr. QB before. Will Baalke do it again?
-look at Harbaugh's track record with QBs: developed no name Josh Johnson, took largely unknown Andrew Luck, and evaluated small school undrafted Tony Romo as a starting QB. He was also not buying Carr or Harrington. Just based on that, I feel lime Harbaugh will decide that he can develope a kid like Ponder or Kaepernick. Or even a lesser known guy.

-new regimes mean new QBs
-Ponder may not be in the 2nd any longer
-lots of youung QBs have had recent success
-how good can Gabbert be with Harbaugh's coaching!

So there are arguments both ways. Right now, I don't see a trade up. Not based on Harbaugh's treck record
Dareus is the best fit for Buffalo imo
1. Car - Newton
2. Den - Peterson

for #3

Hopefully not
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
1. Car - Newton
2. Den - Peterson

for #3

Hopefully not

this gabbert had one "good year" who the hell gets 16 td and 7 int in a spread offense he is inaccurate and doesnt make good decisions if this was next years draft he would be a second rounder at best
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
1. Car - Newton
2. Den - Peterson

for #3

Hopefully not

this gabbert had one "good year" who the hell gets 16 td and 7 int in a spread offense he is inaccurate and doesnt make good decisions if this was next years draft he would be a second rounder at best

I don't think niners trade up for Gabbert, but there's a good chance they'd take him if he's on the board
Still think Buffalo keeps this pick. I'm thinking:

1. Fairly
2. Dareus
3. Miller
4. Quinn
5. Bowers
  • mike
  • Veteran
1. newton
2. dareus
3. peterson
4. green
5. miller
6. bowers
7. quinn unless we're really tempted to get gabbert

Originally posted by mike:
1. newton
2. dareus
3. peterson
4. green
5. miller
6. bowers

In the mock I'm trying to do, Newton and Peterson are off the board, and Buf is OTC. Any suggestions?
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mike:
1. newton
2. dareus
3. peterson
4. green
5. miller
6. bowers

In the mock I'm trying to do, Newton and Peterson are off the board, and Buf is OTC. Any suggestions?

Buffalo can use help in many places, but they were worst in the league at defending the run, Dareus would be an incredible pick for them at that spot as he pretty much requires a double team, he's stout and he's explosive.

A lot of people think they could go QB, but with their crap defense and the fact that most of these QB's take a few years to develop, it's a really risky move. Fitz is a decent enough guy they can stick with him until a 2nd or 3rd rounder can be groomed in or a FA can be found. If they're dead set on a 1st round qb they could definitely trade down too, but like I said I think they go defense.

[ Edited by mike on Mar 13, 2011 at 00:40:30 ]

1. Fairly
2. Dareus
3. Miller
4. Quinn
5. Bowers

i agree with this i think bills take fairley they have high need for DL and farley is the best daerus is also not a bad choice
Gabbert is also an option. This is, after all, a fairly new regime, and new regimes often mean new QBs. Fitzpatrick has been OK, but if they don't upgrade the position now, when will they? I'm still leaning DT, and starting to think Dareus makes more sense because at #3 they may want to avoid the character concerns. Also he's a better fit for the 34 front that they wish to install.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

1. Fairly
2. Dareus
3. Miller
4. Quinn
5. Bowers

i agree with this i think bills take fairley they have high need for DL and farley is the best daerus is also not a bad choice

Yeh I rank dareus higher after the combine but a team might like fairley's game tapes better especially the rose bowl, not sure. Dareus seemed more explosive at the combine for a bigger guy(who'd fit a 3-4 better) but ultimately we all know that guys can end up being more explosive or fast on the field than their combine #'s suggested. Or they could be slower/take plays off.

[ Edited by mike on Mar 13, 2011 at 12:10:46 ]
Share 49ersWebzone