LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 132 users in the forums

STAY AWAY from?

STAY AWAY from?

Of these 10 players, who do you think the Niners should stay away from at #7 overall?
Cam Newton
Originally posted by valrod33:
Cam Newton
I voted Robert Quinn. CoachingMatters broke down why in the "Robert Quinn thread". I'd also stay away from both QBs, Bowers (doesn't fit our team; 1 year wonder) and Fairley (dirty player; 1 year wonder).
Originally posted by communist:
Cam Newton

and Gabbert
who voted for Peterson
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Newton, Gabbert, and Fairley. I'd be fine with any of the other guys.
I'd have to say Newton b/c I don't think he's fit the WCO however if we do take him, I trust Harbaugh saw something special in him he thinks he can turn around. Don't forget Steve Young was a "running" QB when he first got here also... I'd love to have Peterson or Miller but both will most likely be gone after their showings at the combine. They'd have to really BOMB thier pro-days or get in trouble up until the draft. I think Prince, Quinn or Dareus will most likely be there for our pick. Maybe Gabbert. However I honestly think we can wait and get a QB in the later rounds. We don't have to get the best QB in the draft. We just have to get the best QB for the WCO in the draft. Coming out of college Phil Simms was by far the #1 rated QB even on Bill Walsh's board. However, Montana was perfect for the WCO and he grew with the system and we all know that turned out pretty well. Just like with Tebow last year, you don't need all 32 teams to believe you can be a starting QB. You only need 1 team to believe it and if you asked me Tebow looked pretty darn good at the end of last year and honestly if Elway was interested in trading him, i'd love to offer them a 3rd or 4th rd pick for him b/c he was VERY accurate in the short to intermediate throws which is what the WCO is all about. I think he could be a beast w/ Harbaugh coaching him up!!
[ Edited by joeymac49s on Mar 7, 2011 at 5:11 PM ]
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Cam Newton

and Gabbert

this wish i can choose two
Fairley

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Cam Newton

and Gabbert

this wish i can choose two

Newton for sure, but why Gabbert? Of all QBs in this draft Gabbert has the lowest risk. Mike Mayock would take him No. 1 ...
Originally posted by teeohh:
Fairley

I'm with you. Everyone else on the board seems to have "team leader" potential (Green is debatable). I think he represents the largest risk. Honestly, we wont pick Newton or Gabbert unless Harbaugh signs off on it, so a defensive player seems more and realistic. Fairley's stock is slumping going into his pro day, but he could "wow" scouts again and be right back at the top of the board.

My worst three:
1. Fairley
2. Amukamara
3. Dareus
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Mar 7, 2011 at 6:18 PM ]
Originally posted by Travisty13:
I voted Robert Quinn. CoachingMatters broke down why in the "Robert Quinn thread". I'd also stay away from both QBs, Bowers (doesn't fit our team; 1 year wonder) and Fairley (dirty player; 1 year wonder).

i would saw quinn too---the fact that he had a brain tumor in high school would concern me, even though it was benign
just say no to CM and NF
At 7?

Prince
Gabbert
Newton
Share 49ersWebzone