LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 239 users in the forums

Greg McEllroy

I don't get to see college football from the UK so I'm hoping someone can tell me why no-one is talking about Greg McEllroy as a possible draft pick?

What's the pluses and knocks on him?

From purely a statistical perspective he led the nation in passing efficiency, has decent size, is bright enough to play the QB position, has good leadership skills (apparently), is a winner, is clearly competitive and has some agility (see film below), has good numbers and has been around football all his life (similar to Harbaugh....father a coach etc)

He played for the national champions too - in the SEC each year and against good high quality defences / teams.

I can't see any 'buzz' about him which suggests to me that he might be a mid-round draft pick and if so, then I think he'd be a very good draft pick for Harbaugh and the 49ers.

what do you think?

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mcelroy_greg00.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQPVv4pafN8
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Wow, the kid looks good. I'm riding shot gun.

Greg McElroy - 6'3", 225 lbs.

Bleacher Report: 1/21

" The 49ers would do much better to bridge the gap at QB with a known commodity and take a later-round QB at a much more reasonable price. Alabama’s Greg McElroy, Iowa’s Ricky Stanzi, Florida State’s Christian Ponder, TCU’s Andy Dalton, or Delaware’s Pat Devlin could all make reasonable choices.

McElroy is likely the biggest name. While people have questioned his arm strength, they said the same about a guy named Joe Montana in 1979. If the 49ers do return to the West Coast Offense under Harbaugh, arm strength will not be a major issue. McElroy can throw an accurate ball long enough to be a vertical threat, and that is all that matters.

The big names at the top of the board are too big a risk and the 49ers are not setup to develop a young QB on the field."
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 22, 2011 at 5:38 AM ]
The kid is winner, very high opinion on him, IMO he could get pick as high as 3 rd after the senior bowl and combine.

Maybe cuz he never had to carry the team over his shoulders ( high talent sorround him) draftniks tend to understimate him.

At least He'll be a decent back up in the NFL something this team lacks.
I love this kid. People say he's a manager but that's such a weak term. He was efficient, not spectacular and didn't make mistakes.

It would take some time I believe for Harbaugh to mold him but I think he's a guy we should target because of his winning attitude and his calmness in the pocket.

Greg McElroy Monorail!
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
I love this kid. People say he's a manager but that's such a weak term. He was efficient, not spectacular and didn't make mistakes.

It would take some time I believe for Harbaugh to mold him but I think he's a guy we should target because of his winning attitude and his calmness in the pocket.

Greg McElroy Monorail!

He seems average to me, IMO. His situation is not so unlike Sanchez with the Jets - Powerful running game and Defense. Makes him look better than he really is.
Am I wrong in thinking this guy is the most accurate QB in the class this year? I'm not sure how everything will shake out after the senior bowl and combine, but I wouldn't mind grabbing Dalton and McEllroy in the mid rounds.
Am I wrong in thinking this guy is the most accurate QB in the class this year? I'm not sure how everything will shake out after the senior bowl and combine, but I wouldn't mind grabbing Dalton and McEllroy in the mid rounds.
Sorry for the multiple posts. Internet issues.
[ Edited by jb49ers80 on Jan 22, 2011 at 8:14 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Sorry for the multiple posts. Internet issues.

Gremlins, ha.
where is he projected, the 4th or later? I would take him if available in the late rounds, assuming we take someone in the 2nd or 3rd. We need more QB's on the roster and I like that the kid wins, though I've never been super impressed by his play. I'd like to see us sign a FA QB and then draft a couple in the mid-to-late rounds, or sign a UDFA and see what happens when the dust settles in the summer. I don't want us to peg everything on one high priced QB.

Alabama ran a pro-style offense so that's a big plus. He's been mentioned along with other later than 1st round candidates. We could do worse.
Alabama ran a pro-style offense so that's a big plus. He's been mentioned along with other later than 1st round candidates. We could do worse.
There go the gremlins again, lol.
Eww. That one team I did watch play. Greg reminds me to much of Dorsey..
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fakers23:
Eww. That one team I did watch play. Greg reminds me to much of Dorsey..

He's got a way better arm than Dorsey.
Share 49ersWebzone