There are 224 users in the forums

Cam Newton getting MRI following game

i think it would be a dream if we could land him in the second but some team will take a flyer on him. his talent whether it translates the same or not is too great to not give it a shot.

i dont see how if he slipped out of round 1 that cincy wouldnt scoop him up. if carson returns to form in his second time around in cincy then no problem but if he doesnt they have cam waiting in the wings.

i dont think tenn will go after him because too much like vy but minnesota would probably if they thought joe webb or tavaris would be decent they must think newton is a god
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by highwayone:
What team would waste a 1st round on this moron? Just my opinion, but maybe because I know the Niners are back to WCO, which takes more than 1/2 a brain.

i think he's a nice pick around late 2nd to 3rd round in terms of value. but knowing the nfl, someone is gonna pull a tim tebow and draft him in the first.

the whole point of the WCO is to simplify things on offense, i dont think he would have trouble with it.

Uhhh, maybe when Walsh ran it. But do you really think a modern implementation of WCO concepts would be "simple"? Have you seen the stuff Reid and McCarthy run? What about Kyle Shanahan (Mcnabb and his low wonderlic picked it up GREAT lol)? We need an intelligent QB with good instincts and accuracy. Newton is not intelligent and is not accurate.

Tell us again......about the great complex andy reid.....

Then about mcnabb or vick
Originally posted by Dshearn:
What team would waste a 1st round on this moron? Just my opinion, but maybe because I know the Niners are back to WCO, which takes more than 1/2 a brain.

i think he's a nice pick around late 2nd to 3rd round in terms of value. but knowing the nfl, someone is gonna pull a tim tebow and draft him in the first.

the whole point of the WCO is to simplify things on offense, i dont think he would have trouble with it.

Uhhh, maybe when Walsh ran it. But do you really think a modern implementation of WCO concepts would be "simple"? Have you seen the stuff Reid and McCarthy run? What about Kyle Shanahan (Mcnabb and his low wonderlic picked it up GREAT lol)? We need an intelligent QB with good instincts and accuracy. Newton is not intelligent and is not accurate.

Ouch.

As much as I'd like an Brady type qb with a 33 wonderlich score, we kinda do need a Mcnabb/Vick type qb because of our awful Oline.

Now if we could find another Steve Young type, we'd really be in a good place...but unfortunately he's a once in an era type player.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jan 11, 2011 at 6:01 AM ]

You just proved my point. It took Mcnabb years to grasp Reid's Offense. Vick was what, an 8 year veteran? And he sat a year, his case doesn't really apply. Not only that, he had years with Knapp when he was in ATL.

You could have said Garcia, but Garcia was in a similar system here.
[ Edited by binary2nd on Jan 11, 2011 at 6:07 AM ]

You just proved my point. It took Mcnabb years to grasp Reid's Offense. Vick was what, an 8 year veteran? And he sat a year, his case doesn't really apply.

To be fair, Vick's Wonderlic was much higher than McNabb's...not that it is saying much.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Say what you will about Cam Newton but I think he will make a fine NFL QB with the proper coaching.

LOTS of coaching
Originally posted by Jakemall:

You just proved my point. It took Mcnabb years to grasp Reid's Offense. Vick was what, an 8 year veteran? And he sat a year, his case doesn't really apply.

To be fair, Vick's Wonderlic was much higher than McNabb's...not that it is saying much.

Vick is the only QB in the league with a below average wonderlic that is having any sort of success in the entire league. Congrats to him, but he has a mastermind and great WRs on his side. Hoping we can get someone similar to fill that role or equate to that sort of success, is a complete shot in the dark.

Garrard is worth mentioning, but he's totally up and down every year, and completely relies on his running game.
[ Edited by binary2nd on Jan 11, 2011 at 6:12 AM ]
Wonderlic aside, I thought McNabb was a better prospect coming out of Syracuse than Newton.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Speaking of morons....

Would YOU draft him Mr. non moron?

Yes I would he won with his arm again. He learned an entire offense and won on the biggest stag in football.
Newton has a shot at being good with good coaching, but he's too risky for a pick inside the top 20.

Originally posted by LBSI9ers:

Speaking of morons....

Yes I would he won with his arm again. He learned an entire offense and won on the biggest stag in football.

Behold, the biggest stag in football:

Dude, you're F-ing IDIOT!!! Who gives a damn about wonderlic scores, not to mention Cam has not even taken the test of yet. What basis are you using to validate his intelligence? You are simply pre-judging him based off stereotypes and I had to say something! You are probably one of the same fools on here that are in love (for some insane reason) with Alex "Wonderlic" Smith. Great wonderlic score and no football IQ, the same BUST that has taken 6 years to learn the NFL game and still SUXS!!!

I'll take Cam over Alex anyday of the week and twice on Sundays! The guy is a back to back college champion, Alex couldn't win a game on playstation!! LOL

True evaluators will analyze Cam overall skills and he will be drafted in the first round....I hope it's @ #7 so we can finally have a winner under center. Let's go Jim H, pull the trigger on Cam!
Binary, really you wanna go with the wonderlic scores again? Really? Ya just don't learn the first time do you?

And it took years for McNabb to learn Reid's offense? What rock have you been living under? After playing half the year his rookie year, as an option qb at Syracuse, Donovan in his 2nd year took the eagles to 5 straight NFC title game appearances....so where do you get it took him "years" to learn Reids west coast offense?

And Vick also took the Falcons to the playoffs in his 2nd year....injured his 3rd, and next took the Falcons to the NFC title game his 4th....so come on binary, enough of your rediculous speculations and fact givings....they are all incorrect....and if you want to bring out the wonderlic stuff, please re read it in another thread.
Originally posted by Atl49er:

Dude, you're F-ing IDIOT!!! Who gives a damn about wonderlic scores, not to mention Cam has not even taken the test of yet. What basis are you using to validate his intelligence? You are simply pre-judging him based off stereotypes and I had to say something! You are probably one of the same fools on here that are in love (for some insane reason) with Alex "Wonderlic" Smith. Great wonderlic score and no football IQ, the same BUST that has taken 6 years to learn the NFL game and still SUXS!!!

I'll take Cam over Alex anyday of the week and twice on Sundays! The guy is a back to back college champion, Alex couldn't win a game on playstation!! LOL

True evaluators will analyze Cam overall skills and he will be drafted in the first round....I hope it's @ #7 so we can finally have a winner under center. Let's go Jim H, pull the trigger on Cam!

I reread all of the above posts and yep nonone mentioned A. Smith. I hope Alex leaves so people can stop talking about him.

Speaking of morons....

In the 1st round? Absolutely.

With the #7?

Not completely sure about that yet, but it's a consideration. Let's see what he did this year:

~Took his team to an undeafeated season and a National Championship
~Finished 2nd in the nation in QB passer rating (182.05)
~Finished 1st overall in yards per attempt (10.2)
~Finished tied for 14th in completion % (66.1)
~Finished tied for 12th in TD passes (30)
~Passed for nearly 3000 yards
~Rushed for nearly 1500 yards
~Accounted for 50 TDs (30 passing, 20 rushing)

He's 6'6", 250, has a cannon for an arm, is extremely elusive and has won back-to-back championships so far on both levels that he's played (Junior College, and BCS).

But since he's not perfect in every way, and wasn't perfect last night (even though he won) according to some on the this board, he's .

I thank God you guys aren't scouts.
Share 49ersWebzone