LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 159 users in the forums

the case for jake locker

Originally posted by frenchmov:
4/15 for 52 yards is f**king awful. i don't care whether it's pro, college or highschool or who the opponent is. locker has looked pretty mediocre for a college qb. i can only imagine him in the nfl.

someone will draft him in the first few rounds and i hope its not us based on this game

Did you even watch the game? Locker wasn't given many opportunities to throw the ball down the field, and when he did his receivers were manhandled and shoved out of bounds. He had one nice downfield throw and several that were incomplete because of his receivers getting absolutely destroyed. His other incompletions were throw aways, I saw only mabye 2 poor throws. He did everything asked of him and showed the toughness, leadership, and athleticism that his team NEEDED to win this game. Yes, Polk did a great job but Locker did what he needed to do and finishes his career on top
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Lou Holtz called it. His WR's are horrible. I've been saying this all year. The can't get any separation at all. And when they do and he hits them in the hands they drop it. WA is just a terrible overall team.

there you are....no more jakescuses....there was one drop that his WR had...the rest of his passes havent even been on target....he is one read and run.

That team is 2 years removed from 0 - 12. Now 7 - 6 and winning a Bowl game vs. a Nebraska team nobody though they could beat. Locker did well. He let the game come to him. Run when you have an opening. Hit the WR's as you can. His talent around him is a joke. The slowest WR's in the NCAA. And they can't catch too. The RB's aren't super either. At least the defense showed up tonight. All things considered it's mostly Locker that makes this team a winning program.
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
4/15 for 52 yards is f**king awful. i don't care whether it's pro, college or highschool or who the opponent is. locker has looked pretty mediocre for a college qb. i can only imagine him in the nfl.

someone will draft him in the first few rounds and i hope its not us based on this game

based off this game, his stock SHOULD drop to right in between 48 where Clausen was picked and 85 where Mccoy was picked and if he drops anywhere in that vicinity, he would be a STEAL, especially with a great QB coach

I really hope we don't wait till the 3rd round to pick a QB.

LMAO me either

Its all about scouting. Yeah we will all like to grab one and get it over with but WHO? Who is worth taking with that 9-11th pick? Luck won't be there and the only QB I would consider AT THAT SPOT would be Mallet but he may be gone as well. We can trade back and collect some extra picks but again, it's all about scouting. nobody thought Mccoy would drop ALL THE WAY to 85, very few people thought Clausen would drop to 48 but that's why we are not scouts and they are. Both of those QB's (hindsight being 20/20) of course, would have been a HUGE reach to take in the top 20 like they were originally projected
not true, i've understood already why a lot of you guys dont like walterfootball but he stated all the last season long that colt wont go before the 3rd round, at best...
and i can see why...nobody needs a noodle-armed qb.
Lou Holtz called it. His WR's are horrible. I've been saying this all year. The can't get any separation at all. And when they do and he hits them in the hands they drop it. WA is just a terrible overall team.

there you are....no more jakescuses....there was one drop that his WR had...the rest of his passes havent even been on target....he is one read and run.

That team is 2 years removed from 0 - 12. Now 7 - 6 and winning a Bowl game vs. a Nebraska team nobody though they could beat. Locker did well. He let the game come to him. Run when you have an opening. Hit the WR's as you can. His talent around him is a joke. The slowest WR's in the NCAA. And they can't catch too. The RB's aren't super either. At least the defense showed up tonight. All things considered it's mostly Locker that makes this team a winning program.
i'm all on your statements except for this one.

[ Edited by communist on Dec 30, 2010 at 22:58:49 ]
Originally posted by spizzy:

Did you even watch the game? Locker wasn't given many opportunities to throw the ball down the field, and when he did his receivers were manhandled and shoved out of bounds. He had one nice downfield throw and several that were incomplete because of his receivers getting absolutely destroyed. His other incompletions were throw aways, I saw only mabye 2 poor throws. He did everything asked of him and showed the toughness, leadership, and athleticism that his team NEEDED to win this game. Yes, Polk did a great job but Locker did what he needed to do and finishes his career on top

^^^

This. You got it. He used his head and let the game come to him. Instead of forcing the issue. And he has the worst talent in the PAC 10 around him. His WR's are garbage.
Originally posted by communist:

based off this game, his stock SHOULD drop to right in between 48 where Clausen was picked and 85 where Mccoy was picked and if he drops anywhere in that vicinity, he would be a STEAL, especially with a great QB coach
stop, clausen range, could be...but mccoy??? he was a checkdown monster and had a way better team around him...no sorry.
Do you even know what that means or do you just hear other say it and repeat it? Jordan Shipley had a pretty nice number of catches playing with a QB who was a 'checkdown monster', which you're implying means he simply checked down to his backs constantly, correct?

Because his YPA as a senior was higher than Locker's. 8.91 as a Junior, Locker never topped 7.09. For a checkdown monster, in his senior year, McCoy's top 6 receivers in terms of catches were WRs. His RB caught 14 balls........

CHECKDOWNZZZ!!!!!! The only thing Locker has on McCoy, the only thing, is maybe 2 inches in height, and a stronger arm.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I really hope we don't wait till the 3rd round to pick a QB.

LMAO me either

Its all about scouting. Yeah we will all like to grab one and get it over with but WHO? Who is worth taking with that 9-11th pick? Luck won't be there and the only QB I would consider AT THAT SPOT would be Mallet but he may be gone as well. We can trade back and collect some extra picks but again, it's all about scouting. nobody thought Mccoy would drop ALL THE WAY to 85, very few people thought Clausen would drop to 48 but that's why we are not scouts and they are. Both of those QB's (hindsight being 20/20) of course, would have been a HUGE reach to take in the top 20 like they were originally projected
not true, i've understood already why a lot of you guys dont like walterfootball but he stated all the last season long that colt wont go before the 3rd round, at best...
and i can see why...nobody needs a noodle-armed qb.

i'm all on your statements except for this one.

if you are accurate and can win....that will make a difference.
Originally posted by jojomellon:

stop, clausen range, could be...but mccoy??? he was a checkdown monster and had a way better team around him...no sorry.
Do you even know what that means or do you just hear other say it and repeat it? Jordan Shipley had a pretty nice number of catches playing with a QB who was a 'checkdown monster', which you're implying means he simply checked down to his backs constantly, correct?

Because his YPA as a senior was higher than Locker's. 8.91 as a Junior, Locker never topped 7.09. For a checkdown monster, in his senior year, McCoy's top 6 receivers in terms of catches were WRs. His RB caught 14 balls........

CHECKDOWNZZZ!!!!!! The only thing Locker has on McCoy, the only thing, is maybe 2 inches in height, and a stronger arm.
do u even know how YPA are measured??? and you know what? i even wanted to mention shipley b/c HE was the guy who made a lot of YAC for colt...
ya Washington's receivers are terrible they never were open all day, and when the ball hit them in the hands they just dropped it. The senior bowl is going to be huge for Locker.
yeah i watched the game. most of his throws were inaccurate, even when the guy was open. it seems like locker has 1 read and if that read isn't open he starts running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

maybe i'm being too hard on him because i've listened to 6 years of excuses about alex smith while i see other QB's succeed with garbage around them.

You should have went to the game lol

^^^

This. You got it. He used his head and let the game come to him. Instead of forcing the issue. And he has the worst talent in the PAC 10 around him. His WR's are garbage.
Amazing how much people will just shut their eyes and spew nonsense in order to not have to admit to being wrong. The insane loyalty to a college football player is exactly that, insane. You know, Jay Cutler played for an awful team in college too, worse than Jake Locker's Washington team. And yet, I dont recall him looking this bad in college, ever. He still put up numbers despite his team. UW could have won tonight with any of us in at QB. Im convinced that Locker could go 0/20 with 7 ints and you'd spin it into saying it wasnt his fault.

^^^

Amazing how much people will just shut their eyes and spew nonsense in order to not have to admit to being wrong. The insane loyalty to a college football player is exactly that, insane. You know, Jay Cutler played for an awful team in college too, worse than Jake Locker's Washington team. And yet, I dont recall him looking this bad in college, ever. He still put up numbers despite his team. UW could have won tonight with any of us in at QB. Im convinced that Locker could go 0/20 with 7 ints and you'd spin it into saying it wasnt his fault.

yeah i watched the game. most of his throws were inaccurate, even when the guy was open. it seems like locker has 1 read and if that read isn't open he starts running around like a chicken with his head cut off.
how many times did you see a guy running around open??? i saw about 1-2 opportunities, at best...even in the nfl you see some dropped opportunities by pro bowl quarterbacks.

nobody said that he was amazing tonight...but YOU cant admit that he made a solid job, at least, to manage that win...the difference is that he DIDNT throw several interceptions.

[ Edited by communist on Dec 30, 2010 at 23:08:23 ]

do u even know how YPA are measured??? and you know what? i even wanted to mention shipley b/c HE was the guy who made a lot of YAC for colt...
Sure do. Oh ok, Colt must have just 'checked it down' every time he threw to Shipley who was behind the line of scrimmage and he would get the 11 other yards he would average a catch. How foolish of me.

Sure do. Oh ok, Colt must have just 'checked it down' every time he threw to Shipley who was behind the line of scrimmage and he would get the 11 other yards he would average a catch. How foolish of me.
just another overrated system-qb...thats what i'm talking about...i think that you was one of those guys who werent surprised to see clausen dropping to the 2nd round...now explain to me, how colt could drop to the third??? and i would bet that he would have fallen to the 4th if holmgren didnt pick him.
Share 49ersWebzone