LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Todd McShay Mock Draft on ESPN

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Sitting in the sixth slot this season, we are staring at one of the better defensive linemen (the depth of this draft), like a Fairley, Clayborn, Dareus, Bowers, Quinn, or see if a player like Green slips to number 6.

If we miss out on Luck, this seems like the year to trade down. Green and Peterson are worth that early pick, but after that, there's plenty of lineman that fit our defensive and several OLBs that can get after the QB. This seems to be a defense-heavy class.

Ideally, we trade back a few times, like the Broncos last did this year and trade a few early pick for Kolb. I know that sounds like Madden, but really, trading back would serve this franchise better. We need a QB, atleast one CB, a FS (IMO), a DE, maybe a NT...

I know we say this every year, but trading down makes a lot of sense. A lot can change between now and then, so we'll see.

Thing is there has to be someone worth taking if we are gonna trade down. It's easy to say, oh just trade down and stockpile picks. If we pick in the top 5 and there isn't necessarily top 5 talent there, gonna be very hard to trade out of there.
As much as I'd love to take a QB in the 1st, if it's not Luck I'd be happier with Peterson who will be an immediate and substantial upgrade to our secondary. If Stanzi is around in the 2nd I'd love to have him too, but Luck is the only QB I'd be eyeing early in the 1st and I don't think he'll be there when we pick (IF he even comes out).
sitting at 6th overall, I agree with MD we could look at one of the big DL(Dareus, Heyward, Quinn, Clayborn or Fairley).

As for Green, I dont see him falling.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
sitting at 6th overall, I agree with MD we could look at one of the big DL(Dareus, Heyward, Quinn, Clayborn or Fairley).

I know a rabid CLE fan that would love to get him...
  • dj43
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Trade our 2nd for Kolb, bring in Gruden, and we're looking pretty good.

I rather keep our 2nd, draft Stanzi and bring in Murlarkey. Sorry, Gruden is not my first choice like everyone else around here.

And who would be the starter at QB? We have a small window of opportunity, we need to bring in a vet that can start and be at least solid right away.

Well Troy Smith is putting on a good showing, and Pennington will be available. We could always go Matt Hasselbeck as a stop-gap QB for maybe half the season.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Can you come up with something better than that please?

I just did, no one said you have to agree with it. But would much rather take my chances and groom Stanzi, than take one with Kolb. But to tell you the truth, I wouldn't be mad if we traded for Kolb either, but I like Pennington's experience in the playoffs. And as for Hasselbeck, hes battled back from injuries, bad O-line play and bad coaching, who knows he could fair better with a change of scenery, especially if we went back to the WCO.

But we know that kolb can play in this league. I think that Chad would just be a waste of a pickup. Plus he know the WCO. which wil fit this team perfectly.
From Pennington's comments Sunday night it sounds like his career is over. He believes this latest shoulder injury "is telling me it is time to begin thinking about my life without football."
  • dj43
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
our #1 priority this off season HAS to be to bring in a QB that can take us to the promise land.

+1 Even if Patrick Patterson is available. We need a new QB, new hope, new buzz, new hype, new moxie... we don't have any of that. Kolb may be pretty good, but I'd rather roll the dice on Mallett.

I would take Patrick Peterson on my list over any QB in the draft besides Luck who may be gone or may not declare. I really like Stanzi alot and have been keeping my eye on him since the beginning of the season but hes not worth to pick that high up. We are getting torched by QB's and WR's in games and it really puts us in a bind. We know we are preety good against the run but we struggle against the pass (especially deep balls). If we cant stop teams from throwing the ball over our heads for TD's then we have no chance at winning games. Peterson really puts on a good show when you watch him play. I watched him shut down Julio Jones (me being a Bama fan) and he just showed so much fire and intensity to me. I would love to have this guy. He has a great physique build to him and is tough and hard nosed. If he is there I would take him over Locker, Mallet, Ponder, Devlin.

+1

I realize that Patrick Peterson is going to be the next elite CB talent. But when it comes down to it, the teams vying for championships have franchise QBs, and until we have one of those, we will continue to be in a position to continually draft elite talented skill position players like Crabtree, Davis, Willis, and potentially A. Davis. If we are to become a championship caliber team, we need to start by selecting a QB high in the draft. Its also a perfect situation for a rookie to be successful, with an improving O-line, quality skill position players, and a good (or at least I like to think it is) defense. Add on a new coaching staff, and you have an instant turnaround situation.

After a franchise QB, the next most important player in today's pass-oriented NFL is a true shut down corner. If Peterson is that guy, and Luck is not available, then you take the shutdown guy.

Here is a question I have pondered: If Peyton Manning and Deion Sanders were coming out of college together, and had a choice of the two, which would I pick?

Both changed the game for their opponent.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

I know a rabid CLE fan that would love to get him...

indeed,
  • dj43
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Sitting in the sixth slot this season, we are staring at one of the better defensive linemen (the depth of this draft), like a Fairley, Clayborn, Dareus, Bowers, Quinn, or see if a player like Green slips to number 6.

If we miss out on Luck, this seems like the year to trade down. Green and Peterson are worth that early pick, but after that, there's plenty of lineman that fit our defensive and several OLBs that can get after the QB. This seems to be a defense-heavy class.

Ideally, we trade back a few times, like the Broncos last did this year and trade a few early pick for Kolb. I know that sounds like Madden, but really, trading back would serve this franchise better. We need a QB, atleast one CB, a FS (IMO), a DE, maybe a NT...

I know we say this every year, but trading down makes a lot of sense. A lot can change between now and then, so we'll see.

Thing is there has to be someone worth taking if we are gonna trade down. It's easy to say, oh just trade down and stockpile picks. If we pick in the top 5 and there isn't necessarily top 5 talent there, gonna be very hard to trade out of there.
If Luck is not available without sacrificing other picks, then you go pass rush or shutdown corner, whichever is there.

A pass rusher will make the entire secondary look better than it is. A shutdown corner will make the pass rush better due to coverage sacks. Either way it will solve a major need.

Trading down only works if one of your MAJOR needs will not be solved with your natural pick, otherwise get the playmaker all teams must have.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dj43:

I rather keep our 2nd, draft Stanzi and bring in Murlarkey. Sorry, Gruden is not my first choice like everyone else around here.

And who would be the starter at QB? We have a small window of opportunity, we need to bring in a vet that can start and be at least solid right away.

Well Troy Smith is putting on a good showing, and Pennington will be available. We could always go Matt Hasselbeck as a stop-gap QB for maybe half the season.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I just did, no one said you have to agree with it. But would much rather take my chances and groom Stanzi, than take one with Kolb. But to tell you the truth, I wouldn't be mad if we traded for Kolb either, but I like Pennington's experience in the playoffs. And as for Hasselbeck, hes battled back from injuries, bad O-line play and bad coaching, who knows he could fair better with a change of scenery, especially if we went back to the WCO.

But we know that kolb can play in this league. I think that Chad would just be a waste of a pickup. Plus he know the WCO. which wil fit this team perfectly.
From Pennington's comments Sunday night it sounds like his career is over. He believes this latest shoulder injury "is telling me it is time to begin thinking about my life without football."

Yup, my reply was before his injury, now I think I can cross Pennington off the list.

• dmax
  • Veteran
Its simple really...if luck isnt available...you go for the best pass rusher in the draft
point blank period...da'quan bowers maybe

[ Edited by dmax on Nov 24, 2010 at 11:05:58 ]
My biggest concern this upcoming draft is that Luck falls to the Cardinals.
Originally posted by dmax:
Its simple really...if luck isnt available...you go for the best pass rusher in the draft
point blank period...da'quan bowers maybe

my main issue with Bowers is I dont believe he is a 3-4 End, and would need to be a 3-4 rush LB which I dont know if he has ever or could play OLB.

I would rather take Marcel Dareus or Cameron Heyward for 3-4 End, or R.Quinn or Beal at rush OLB.
  • Chief
  • Veteran

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Troy Smith and Pennington?

Yikes..
this is a qb driven league, period end of discussioin. you do everything possible to find that one outstanding qb to lead you to a superbowl.
Share 49ersWebzone