49ers vs. Seahawks Tickets Available! →

There are 378 users in the forums

Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue

Browse 49ers books and videos
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Kerrigan is a nice prospect, but likely not a game-changing type of football player. IMO, we need to find a way to come out of this next draft with a game-changer, regardless of position.

In my opinion, I think he is a game-changer. He always puts pressure on the QB, which can lead to throw away passes which, if we had ball-hawking DBs, would result in INTs. At the same time, last year he lead the NCAA in forced fumbles, This year he had another 5 FF. You put enough balls on the ground, that changed the game a lot. He lead the nation in TFL. So to me, he is the definition of a "game-changer".

I agree. And from watching some of his clips, he started to get double teamed throughout the game. This should open doors when we blitz.

Sounds a lot like Jared Allen...and how many playoffs, Super Bowls has he won?

Not trying to be an ass, just playing devil's advocate here.

Well, at the spot where we're picking, the only player that would be able to get us to the playoffs would be a QB, right? Locker or Mallett?

I don't really see any corners worth taking at the spot at the moment, so why not select one of the best pass rushers in the draft?

And yea, Jared Allen hasn't won a Super Bowl but he was a huge presence last year for the Vikings.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Kerrigan is a nice prospect, but likely not a game-changing type of football player. IMO, we need to find a way to come out of this next draft with a game-changer, regardless of position.

In my opinion, I think he is a game-changer. He always puts pressure on the QB, which can lead to throw away passes which, if we had ball-hawking DBs, would result in INTs. At the same time, last year he lead the NCAA in forced fumbles, This year he had another 5 FF. You put enough balls on the ground, that changed the game a lot. He lead the nation in TFL. So to me, he is the definition of a "game-changer".

I agree. And from watching some of his clips, he started to get double teamed throughout the game. This should open doors when we blitz.

Sounds a lot like Jared Allen...and how many playoffs, Super Bowls has he won?

Not trying to be an ass, just playing devil's advocate here.

Well, at the spot where we're picking, the only player that would be able to get us to the playoffs would be a QB, right? Locker or Mallett?

I don't really see any corners worth taking at the spot at the moment, so why not select one of the best pass rushers in the draft?

And yea, Jared Allen hasn't won a Super Bowl but he was a huge presence last year for the Vikings.

Yah, when I meant game-changers, I meant "high-impact" players...the kind that begins to turn the fortunes of a franchise around. That typically (but not always) means a QB. I'm not for reaching/drafting for need, but I also know that without a real QB, you can have the best pass rusher in the NFL and it won't amount to much (like the Dolphin's Wake who leads the NFL with 14 sacks, and will be sitting at home like me watching the playoffs).

Look, I'm not saying don't take a pass rusher or that Kerrigan isn't worthy...what I'm not so sure is, is Kerrigan worthy of being picked in or around the top 10, which is where we will likely be picking? Is he that special of an athlete/football player to where his Big-10 dominance will translate into NFL success?
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Kerrigan is a nice prospect, but likely not a game-changing type of football player. IMO, we need to find a way to come out of this next draft with a game-changer, regardless of position.

In my opinion, I think he is a game-changer. He always puts pressure on the QB, which can lead to throw away passes which, if we had ball-hawking DBs, would result in INTs. At the same time, last year he lead the NCAA in forced fumbles, This year he had another 5 FF. You put enough balls on the ground, that changed the game a lot. He lead the nation in TFL. So to me, he is the definition of a "game-changer".

I agree. And from watching some of his clips, he started to get double teamed throughout the game. This should open doors when we blitz.

Sounds a lot like Jared Allen...and how many playoffs, Super Bowls has he won?

Not trying to be an ass, just playing devil's advocate here.

Well, at the spot where we're picking, the only player that would be able to get us to the playoffs would be a QB, right? Locker or Mallett?

I don't really see any corners worth taking at the spot at the moment, so why not select one of the best pass rushers in the draft?

And yea, Jared Allen hasn't won a Super Bowl but he was a huge presence last year for the Vikings.

Yah, when I meant game-changers, I meant "high-impact" players...the kind that begins to turn the fortunes of a franchise around. That typically (but not always) means a QB. I'm not for reaching/drafting for need, but I also know that without a real QB, you can have the best pass rusher in the NFL and it won't amount to much (like the Dolphin's Wake who leads the NFL with 14 sacks, and will be sitting at home like me watching the playoffs).

Look, I'm not saying don't take a pass rusher or that Kerrigan isn't worthy...what I'm not so sure is, is Kerrigan worthy of being picked in or around the top 10, which is where we will likely be picking? Is he that special of an athlete/football player to where his Big-10 dominance will translate into NFL success?

I guess you and I have been looking at it a bit differently. Unfortunately, I see us as having a shot at making the playoffs, taking us out of the running for a corner (Prince/Peterson) and maybe a QB. Honestly, I'd still be all for taking Locker if we have a good offensive minded coach, I've stated this in other threads, but if we've won too many games and don't have a shot at Locker or Mallett, I wouldn't mind taking Kerrigan.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Kerrigan is a nice prospect, but likely not a game-changing type of football player. IMO, we need to find a way to come out of this next draft with a game-changer, regardless of position.

In my opinion, I think he is a game-changer. He always puts pressure on the QB, which can lead to throw away passes which, if we had ball-hawking DBs, would result in INTs. At the same time, last year he lead the NCAA in forced fumbles, This year he had another 5 FF. You put enough balls on the ground, that changed the game a lot. He lead the nation in TFL. So to me, he is the definition of a "game-changer".

I agree. And from watching some of his clips, he started to get double teamed throughout the game. This should open doors when we blitz.

Sounds a lot like Jared Allen...and how many playoffs, Super Bowls has he won?

Not trying to be an ass, just playing devil's advocate here.

Well, at the spot where we're picking, the only player that would be able to get us to the playoffs would be a QB, right? Locker or Mallett?

I don't really see any corners worth taking at the spot at the moment, so why not select one of the best pass rushers in the draft?

And yea, Jared Allen hasn't won a Super Bowl but he was a huge presence last year for the Vikings.

Yah, when I meant game-changers, I meant "high-impact" players...the kind that begins to turn the fortunes of a franchise around. That typically (but not always) means a QB. I'm not for reaching/drafting for need, but I also know that without a real QB, you can have the best pass rusher in the NFL and it won't amount to much (like the Dolphin's Wake who leads the NFL with 14 sacks, and will be sitting at home like me watching the playoffs).

Look, I'm not saying don't take a pass rusher or that Kerrigan isn't worthy...what I'm not so sure is, is Kerrigan worthy of being picked in or around the top 10, which is where we will likely be picking? Is he that special of an athlete/football player to where his Big-10 dominance will translate into NFL success?

I guess you and I have been looking at it a bit differently. Unfortunately, I see us as having a shot at making the playoffs, taking us out of the running for a corner (Prince/Peterson) and maybe a QB. Honestly, I'd still be all for taking Locker if we have a good offensive minded coach, I've stated this in other threads, but if we've won too many games and don't have a shot at Locker or Mallett, I wouldn't mind taking Kerrigan.

Yah, I just can't see us winning in St. Louis. Two things are assured when it comes to Nolan/Singletary teams:

1.) They will stink up the joint on the road
2.) They will choke in a must-win/critical game

We probably beat the Tards at home though to make us 6-10, putting us right around the 10-13 area.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Kerrigan is a nice prospect, but likely not a game-changing type of football player. IMO, we need to find a way to come out of this next draft with a game-changer, regardless of position.

In my opinion, I think he is a game-changer. He always puts pressure on the QB, which can lead to throw away passes which, if we had ball-hawking DBs, would result in INTs. At the same time, last year he lead the NCAA in forced fumbles, This year he had another 5 FF. You put enough balls on the ground, that changed the game a lot. He lead the nation in TFL. So to me, he is the definition of a "game-changer".

I agree. And from watching some of his clips, he started to get double teamed throughout the game. This should open doors when we blitz.

Sounds a lot like Jared Allen...and how many playoffs, Super Bowls has he won?

Not trying to be an ass, just playing devil's advocate here.

Well, at the spot where we're picking, the only player that would be able to get us to the playoffs would be a QB, right? Locker or Mallett?

I don't really see any corners worth taking at the spot at the moment, so why not select one of the best pass rushers in the draft?

And yea, Jared Allen hasn't won a Super Bowl but he was a huge presence last year for the Vikings.

Yah, when I meant game-changers, I meant "high-impact" players...the kind that begins to turn the fortunes of a franchise around. That typically (but not always) means a QB. I'm not for reaching/drafting for need, but I also know that without a real QB, you can have the best pass rusher in the NFL and it won't amount to much (like the Dolphin's Wake who leads the NFL with 14 sacks, and will be sitting at home like me watching the playoffs).

Look, I'm not saying don't take a pass rusher or that Kerrigan isn't worthy...what I'm not so sure is, is Kerrigan worthy of being picked in or around the top 10, which is where we will likely be picking? Is he that special of an athlete/football player to where his Big-10 dominance will translate into NFL success?

I guess you and I have been looking at it a bit differently. Unfortunately, I see us as having a shot at making the playoffs, taking us out of the running for a corner (Prince/Peterson) and maybe a QB. Honestly, I'd still be all for taking Locker if we have a good offensive minded coach, I've stated this in other threads, but if we've won too many games and don't have a shot at Locker or Mallett, I wouldn't mind taking Kerrigan.

Yah, I just can't see us winning in St. Louis. Two things are assured when it comes to Nolan/Singletary teams:

1.) They will stink up the joint on the road
2.) They will choke in a must-win/critical game

We probably beat the Tards at home though to make us 6-10, putting us right around the 10-13 area.

10-13 area still gives us a shot at Locker IMO.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Kerrigan is a nice prospect, but likely not a game-changing type of football player. IMO, we need to find a way to come out of this next draft with a game-changer, regardless of position.

In my opinion, I think he is a game-changer. He always puts pressure on the QB, which can lead to throw away passes which, if we had ball-hawking DBs, would result in INTs. At the same time, last year he lead the NCAA in forced fumbles, This year he had another 5 FF. You put enough balls on the ground, that changed the game a lot. He lead the nation in TFL. So to me, he is the definition of a "game-changer".

I agree. And from watching some of his clips, he started to get double teamed throughout the game. This should open doors when we blitz.

Sounds a lot like Jared Allen...and how many playoffs, Super Bowls has he won?

Not trying to be an ass, just playing devil's advocate here.

Well, at the spot where we're picking, the only player that would be able to get us to the playoffs would be a QB, right? Locker or Mallett?

I don't really see any corners worth taking at the spot at the moment, so why not select one of the best pass rushers in the draft?

And yea, Jared Allen hasn't won a Super Bowl but he was a huge presence last year for the Vikings.

Yah, when I meant game-changers, I meant "high-impact" players...the kind that begins to turn the fortunes of a franchise around. That typically (but not always) means a QB. I'm not for reaching/drafting for need, but I also know that without a real QB, you can have the best pass rusher in the NFL and it won't amount to much (like the Dolphin's Wake who leads the NFL with 14 sacks, and will be sitting at home like me watching the playoffs).

Look, I'm not saying don't take a pass rusher or that Kerrigan isn't worthy...what I'm not so sure is, is Kerrigan worthy of being picked in or around the top 10, which is where we will likely be picking? Is he that special of an athlete/football player to where his Big-10 dominance will translate into NFL success?

I guess you and I have been looking at it a bit differently. Unfortunately, I see us as having a shot at making the playoffs, taking us out of the running for a corner (Prince/Peterson) and maybe a QB. Honestly, I'd still be all for taking Locker if we have a good offensive minded coach, I've stated this in other threads, but if we've won too many games and don't have a shot at Locker or Mallett, I wouldn't mind taking Kerrigan.

Yah, I just can't see us winning in St. Louis. Two things are assured when it comes to Nolan/Singletary teams:

1.) They will stink up the joint on the road
2.) They will choke in a must-win/critical game

We probably beat the Tards at home though to make us 6-10, putting us right around the 10-13 area.

10-13 area still gives us a shot at Locker IMO.

And possibly Newton, if teams have character concerns. We could also consider trading up to grab Mallett depending on the circumstances/cost.
Scott Wright posted his scouting report for Ryan Kerrigan:
Quote:
Strengths:
• Good size with a nice frame and growth potential
• More quick than fast but has a burst to close
• Able to get around the edge and run the arch
• Strong, powerful and an outstanding bull rusher
• Has a wide array of moves in pass rush repertoire
• Competitive and relentless with a non-stop motor
• Good range and does a great job in pursuit
• Reliable tackler who can deliver the big hit
• More than holds his own versus the run
• Displays violent hands and uses them well
• Shows the ability to disengage from blockers
• Smart with terrific instincts and awareness
• Utilizes proper technique and understands leverage
• Super tough and will play through pain / injuries
• Productive with a knack for making impact plays
• Superb leadership qualities and amazing work ethic
• Offers some positional and schematic versatility
• Lots of quality experience and a great pedigree

Weaknesses:
• Not a smooth athlete or overly explosive
• Average speed, agility and change of direction
• Ability to play on feet in space is a question mark
• May lack fluid hips and is unproven in coverage
• Some minor durability and health concerns
• Overall upside might be relatively limited
• May be a bit of a positional 'tweener

Notes:
A three-year starter and team captain for the Boilermakers --- Named 1st Team All-Big Ten in 2009 and 2010 --- A unanimous All-American selection in 2010 --- Honored as the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and Defensive Lineman of the Year after leading the conference in sacks as a senior --- Also garnered notice from the Big Ten for his work in the classroom --- Led the entire nation in tackles for a loss as a senior --- Finished career at Purdue tied for second on the school's all-time sack list --- 14 career forced fumbles set the Big Ten record and tied the NCAA mark --- Hails from the same college program that produced NFL pass rushers such as Rosevelt Colvin, Chike Okeafor, Shaun Phillips, Ray Edwards, Rob Ninkovich, Anthony Spencer and Cliff Avril --- Suffered a broken foot in the final game of the 2009 season, which had to be surgically repaired --- Could project to defensive end in a 4-3 scheme or outside linebacker in an odd (3-4) front --- Fantastic football player who compensates for a lack of eye-popping physical tools with top-notch intangibles --- Draft stock soared after a standout senior campaign and it seemed as though everyone who saw him play came away singing his praises --- Might never be an "elite" sack artist along the lines of Julius Peppers but will be a very good player for a long time -- Profiles as a Chris Long-type of presence at the next level.

2010
Tackles: 70
Tackles for a Loss: 26
Sacks: 12.5

Career (4 seasons)
Tackles: 209
Tackles for a Loss: 55.5
Sacks: 37.5

[ Edited by SF69ers on Dec 30, 2010 at 12:01:54 ]
BUMP!!!

All this hype on Von Miller is all well and good, and the guy is decent, but I think Ryan Kerrigan should be our pick if we were to select a pass rusher.

Originally posted by SF69ers:
BUMP!!!

All this hype on Von Miller is all well and good, and the guy is decent, but I think Ryan Kerrigan should be our pick if we were to select a pass rusher.


Decent? C'mon man!

If we traded back, would be allllllll for it!!!
Originally posted by SF69ers:
BUMP!!!

All this hype on Von Miller is all well and good, and the guy is decent, but I think Ryan Kerrigan should be our pick if we were to select a pass rusher.


Amen brother. Me and you are definitely driving the Kerrigan train. I'd love for my favorite player in the draft to be a Niner.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
BUMP!!!

All this hype on Von Miller is all well and good, and the guy is decent, but I think Ryan Kerrigan should be our pick if we were to select a pass rusher.


Amen brother. Me and you are definitely driving the Kerrigan train. I'd love for my favorite player in the draft to be a Niner.



Having him and Justin Smith on one side would be monstrous.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
BUMP!!!

All this hype on Von Miller is all well and good, and the guy is decent, but I think Ryan Kerrigan should be our pick if we were to select a pass rusher.


Decent? C'mon man!

If we traded back, would be allllllll for it!!!

Sorry, I like Von, I really do and I wouldn't be overly upset if we selected him, but I feel that Kerrigan would be a much better fit.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
BUMP!!!

All this hype on Von Miller is all well and good, and the guy is decent, but I think Ryan Kerrigan should be our pick if we were to select a pass rusher.


Amen brother. Me and you are definitely driving the Kerrigan train. I'd love for my favorite player in the draft to be a Niner.



Having him and Justin Smith on one side would be monstrous.

That definitely would be sweet. I could only imagine how good are D would be with them going after the QB. It would help our DB play a lot too.
All this hype for Robert Quinn is crazy to me. If we want a OLB with the size, speed, and strength of Quinn, but better production. We need to go Kerrigan.

Kerrigan posted a 4.67 in the 40 at the combine.
Quinn posted a 4.62.
Kerrigan is 6'4, 267. Quinn is 6'4, 265. They had identical 10 yard splits at the combine - 1.61.
Kerrigan had better strength with 31 reps to Quinn's 22. Kerrigan had a better broad jump - 10'02 to Quinn's 9'08. Vertical was similiar Quinn had a 34' and Kerrigan had a 33 1/2'. Similiar 20 yard shuttle: Kerrigan 4.39, Quinn had a 4.40. 3-Cone Drill was similiar: Kerrigan 7.18, Quinn 7.13. So you can't make a case for Quinn being "more athletic, stronger, must faster" then Kerrigan.

Where the real competition gets one sided is in the actual game film.
Kerrigan had 57 Career TFL, 33.5 sacks, 14 Forced Fumbles (Ties FBS All-Time Record).
Quinn had 25.5 careeer TFL, 13 sacks, 8 forced fumbles.

Quinn gets a lot of credit for his "great" sophomore season. Games against weaker competition (Citadel, East Carolina, Virgina, Georgia Southern, Duke) Quinn had 10 of his 11 sacks and 14 of his 19 TFL. Against the more equal competition (UConn, Georgia Tech, Florida St., Virginia Tech, Miami (FL), NC St., and Pitt), Quinn had only 1 sack and 5 TFL. Alot of people say he had a lot of QB hurries. Again, that's a myth. He was credited with 12, with 11 coming against the weaker competition I mentioned and 1 coming versus Miami. Not very dominant.

Going back to Kerrigan's sophomore year, he had only 7 sacks and 11.5 TFL. His 7 sacks coming against strong competition (#8 Penn St., 2 vs. #9 Ohio St., 3 vs. Michigan, and a sack vs. #20 Iowa) and 10 of his 11.5 TFL coming against those same teams. So Kerrigan to me had a better sophomore year.

Kerrigan's final 2 seasons, were his real coming out party. He led the Big Ten in sacks and TFL both seasons. He ranked 5th in the country his Sr.Year in sacks (12.5), and 4th his Jr.Year (12.0). He was 2nd in the country in FF his Sr. Year and was 1st his Jr. Year. He led the country in TFL his Sr.Year.

So production vs. potential? I pick what the tape and the stats tell me. Kerrigan is just great an athlete and more productive.
He's a high character player, huge motor, team captain. Stop drinking the Quinn Kool-Aid and face the facts. Kerrigan is way better the Quinn.



A agree. Trade down and pick Kerrigan between ~12-20 range?
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone