LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 263 users in the forums

AJ Green suspended 4 games?!?!?!?!

Bulls**t

For selling a jersey (which he donated back the money), he has to sit out 4 games? Are you serious?

The NCAA needs to quit acting like they give a rats @$$ about the integrity of college sports by suspending players and programs for frivolous actions (partying, selling jerseys, agent contact, etc.) and let the schools settle the problems in house.

If the players get suspensions, it should be at the hands of the school and coaches to decide how long and what punishment fits the crime.

For example, with what Green did, after he paid back the money to a charity, make him run sprints, do community service, and MAYBE serve a 1-game suspension. But 4 games? Way outta line....

Another example, with the sanction of programs like USC, you punish kids who weren't even on the team for 2-4 years by banning post-season play and scholarships b/c one dumba$$ took money? Punish the individual, not the program!

What does it prove? That the NCAA is "on the ball" with keeping the agents out by figuring out that Reggie Bush got money for his family 4 years later, which by some strange reason made him so talented that he was good enough to win the Heisman and carry his team to the National Championship? So money is now a PED in sports? No wonder all the Pros are soooooooooooo good, especially JaMarcus Russell...

What it shows to me is that the NCAA is a bunch of greedy, money-hungry b*****ds who don't care about the welfare of the students whom they make millions off of. They punish the wrong ppl and just want to make sure they get money in return or else it's an "inexcusable" offense to the integrity of college sports.....

Sorry for the rant, just sick and tired of the NCAA acting like they're just and fighting off the evils of the outside world when, in fact, if the could make money off of it, what they say is evil would be totally allowed.
and Julio Jones just became the first WR off the board.
Expose the NCAA, not the athletes

The architect of the modern NCAA, the organization’s former president, Walter Byers, spelled out all of this in his 1997 mea culpa, “Unsportsmanlike Conduct: Exploiting the Student-Athlete.”

Byers wrote: “Today the NCAA Presidents Commission is preoccupied with tightening a few loose bolts in a worn machine, firmly committed to the neo-plantation belief that the enormous proceeds from college games belong to the overseers (administrators) and supervisors (coaches). The plantation workers performing in the arena may only receive those benefits authorized by the overseers.”
What a joke. Let the kid play!
NCAA is going overboard
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

The architect of the modern NCAA, the organization’s former president, Walter Byers, spelled out all of this in his 1997 mea culpa, “Unsportsmanlike Conduct: Exploiting the Student-Athlete.”

Byers wrote: “Today the NCAA Presidents Commission is preoccupied with tightening a few loose bolts in a worn machine, firmly committed to the neo-plantation belief that the enormous proceeds from college games belong to the overseers (administrators) and supervisors (coaches). The plantation workers performing in the arena may only receive those benefits authorized by the overseers.”

I say pay the kids minimum wage for time spent and call it a day. Let the kids have a lil money for going out and having a good time.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

I say pay the kids minimum wage for time spent and call it a day. Let the kids have a lil money for going out and having a good time.

Why not take it one step further? Get the agents and the NFL to pay a certain amount of money to the NCAA to relegate to the schools to provide to pay the student athletes in football so that they agents are allowed to have contact with the players? (and no this doesn't fall under title IX)

This would reduce the number of infractions, allow the athletes a chance to learn if they should go into the pros or pursue other endeavors due to lack of interest, get the students money so they won't fall prey to boosters and other "shady" influences, and allow the NCAA to obtain their side profit they so drastically need to make themselves feel powerful. Also, it's basically a free "minor leagues" for the NFL, so might as well pay the players a little cut as the MLB and NBA do for theirs
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
NCAA = Thugs
  • evil
  • Veteran

You ain't got no love for me homie ?

Originally posted by KRS-1:

I LOVE Floyd, but I don't see him as the 1st WR taken. I have a feeling he may slip into the 2nd like Tate did, if we could grab him in the 2nd I would freak.

• evil
  • Veteran

I LOVE Floyd, but I don't see him as the 1st WR taken. I have a feeling he may slip into the 2nd like Tate did, if we could grab him in the 2nd I would freak.

*Sigh*

Your lack of homerism is making me a sad panda.

*Sigh*

Your lack of homerism is making me a sad panda.

I don't see him putting up the numbers with this system. If Clausen was under center I would be singing a much different tune. Once Jimmy left, I said this just killed Floyd's draft stock.
If that person was an "agent" (another thing that is going to come under scrutiny), I can understand the disciplinary action in itself. But let me ask this -- what the frick does that action do to cause any legitimate problem whatsoever?

This absolutely does NOT qualify as any sort of a bribe.

The second question is this: Other players who DID receive "improper benefits" nearly DOUBLING the amount A.J. got, which he donated back, got a slap on the wrist and 2-game suspensions. NCAA, DOES THIS SEEM LIKE LEVEL ENFORCEMENT OF THE RULES TO YOU?

No. No it's not. It's despicable, and the administration is a total joke and disgustingly proving themselves worthy of such characterization.

I'm sorry, NCAA, but if you're going to enforce these so-called policies of yours, you can't just willy-nilly hand out whatever you please without any sort of structure in place to handle and determine the severity of any sort of "infractions" that occur.
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Bulls**t

For selling a jersey (which he donated back the money), he has to sit out 4 games? Are you serious?

The NCAA needs to quit acting like they give a rats @$$ about the integrity of college sports by suspending players and programs for frivolous actions (partying, selling jerseys, agent contact, etc.) and let the schools settle the problems in house.

If the players get suspensions, it should be at the hands of the school and coaches to decide how long and what punishment fits the crime.

For example, with what Green did, after he paid back the money to a charity, make him run sprints, do community service, and MAYBE serve a 1-game suspension. But 4 games? Way outta line....

Another example, with the sanction of programs like USC, you punish kids who weren't even on the team for 2-4 years by banning post-season play and scholarships b/c one dumba$$ took money? Punish the individual, not the program!

What does it prove? That the NCAA is "on the ball" with keeping the agents out by figuring out that Reggie Bush got money for his family 4 years later, which by some strange reason made him so talented that he was good enough to win the Heisman and carry his team to the National Championship? So money is now a PED in sports? No wonder all the Pros are soooooooooooo good, especially JaMarcus Russell...

What it shows to me is that the NCAA is a bunch of greedy, money-hungry b*****ds who don't care about the welfare of the students whom they make millions off of. They punish the wrong ppl and just want to make sure they get money in return or else it's an "inexcusable" offense to the integrity of college sports.....

Sorry for the rant, just sick and tired of the NCAA acting like they're just and fighting off the evils of the outside world when, in fact, if the could make money off of it, what they say is evil would be totally allowed.

Are you serious?
The NCAA was helped set up originally by Teddy Roosevelt to protect student athletes.

Right now the NCAA is just there to make money off of the kids, and punish them for trying to compensate for this exploitative situation.

Is the NCAA really protecting these athlete slaves by punishing them brutally for receiving benefits form agents wine-ing and dining these students? Taking away a 3rd of a season from a kid with millions at stake in the draft? Or even worse, what they did to Dez Bryant? Are they really looking out for the best interest of the kids here? The answer here is obvious.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know a little more about how the NCAA weaseled it's way into it's position as the collectors and distributors of the wealth that they did nothing to create? Because the NCAA certainly isn't protecting athletes anymore, as is seen by their refusal to pay workers compensation and putting limits on how much financial aid an athlete to get. Plus their previously mentioned unreasonable harsh penalties. All in the name of protecting the players and the integrity of the game.

Bulls**t. Complete bulls**t.
Share 49ersWebzone