49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 527 users in the forums

Roster Revisited

Browse 49ers books and videos
Good read
  • Karma
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,190
Originally posted by AC49er:
Good read

Thank you. I had to write it all out so I had a chance to sleep tonight. I took a nap after the draft and had some very weird dreams about us trading players.
There is no way this team gives up on Balmer, Snyder, or Brandon Jones. Those guys are locks to make the squad.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,131
Originally posted by NickSh49:
There is no way this team gives up on Balmer, Snyder, or Brandon Jones. Those guys are locks to make the squad.

Balmer maybe, but if there was ever a good time to walk away from a bad contract its this year with no cap
  • 49erFanOrlandoFl
  • Info N/A
BTW They have signed 3 UDFA wide recievers There will be a Battle Royale in TC only Crabtree and Morgan are secure
  • Karma
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,190
Originally posted by NickSh49:
There is no way this team gives up on Balmer, Snyder, or Brandon Jones. Those guys are locks to make the squad.

I agree with you on Balmer and Jones to a point. If they are simply out played by their competition I don't see Singeltary having patience. He can taste the playoffs and he is going to put the best 53 out there.

Snyder is a different story. Balmer is still young and was improving last year before the injury, Jones hasn't really had a chance on the field besides returning punts, but Snyder has played enough to see his career trajectory. Snyder will never be good enough to start on this football team. Boone has more upside and is working hard. Why not make the move?
  • Karma
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,190
Originally posted by 49erFanOrlandoFl:
BTW They have signed 3 UDFA wide recievers There will be a Battle Royale in TC only Crabtree and Morgan are secure

I think Jason Hill and Ted Ginn are safe as well. No way they hand Jerry Sullivan three or four UDFAs and say, "What can you do with this?"

Hill produces when he is on the field and is improving his downfield blocking. He is my pick for most improved this year. He could be our Steve Breaston.

Barring any major injury or lapse in judgment, Ginn is a lock as well. They traded a 5th rounder for him; they wouldn't cut him loose without a one year test-drive.
Originally posted by AC49er:
Good read
Great read. Thanks a lot.
Good job Karma. I like how you are optimistic yet realistic.
I think Wragge could be on the outs. I don't seem to remember him taking any actual snaps at center either.

Snyder is one of the most valuable members of the reserve line. He can play 4 different line positions, and do each fairly well. He may not be starter-quality, but that kind of versatility and experience is hard to find.

I'm hoping Balmer can get fully healthy, and quick. We need him to develop and push Soap for PT. I don't see him as a NT at all. He, much like Soap now, is longer and leaner and just doesn't physically eat up space. I don't care about height/weight. Just look at Aubrayo. He takes up space, regardless of measurables.
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by 49erFanOrlandoFl:
BTW They have signed 3 UDFA wide recievers There will be a Battle Royale in TC only Crabtree and Morgan are secure

I think Jason Hill and Ted Ginn are safe as well. No way they hand Jerry Sullivan three or four UDFAs and say, "What can you do with this?"

Hill produces when he is on the field and is improving his downfield blocking. He is my pick for most improved this year. He could be our Steve Breaston.

Barring any major injury or lapse in judgment, Ginn is a lock as well. They traded a 5th rounder for him; they wouldn't cut him loose without a one year test-drive.


Ginn, yes. He is lock to make the team. Hill? Ignoring your general feelings on the subject, what specifically in the last 12 months makes you think he is a lock to make the roster? He barely saw the field. He had one good game against Tennessee. If the team sees something in Williams, Hill could be gone.
  • Karma
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,190
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
I think Wragge could be on the outs. I don't seem to remember him taking any actual snaps at center either.

Snyder is one of the most valuable members of the reserve line. He can play 4 different line positions, and do each fairly well. He may not be starter-quality, but that kind of versatility and experience is hard to find.

I'm hoping Balmer can get fully healthy, and quick. We need him to develop and push Soap for PT. I don't see him as a NT at all. He, much like Soap now, is longer and leaner and just doesn't physically eat up space. I don't care about height/weight. Just look at Aubrayo. He takes up space, regardless of measurables.

You might be right about Wragge being gone, but he has played Center before. When Heitmann broke his leg a few years ago Wragge stepped in. Wragge will be gone if they think Baas can be the back-up Center. If Wragge leaves Snyder and Boone could both make the roster. If not, there will be a competition.

Snyder might be able to play four positions, but it might be a case of Jack-of-all-trades, master of none. If one of the tackles gets hurt, who goes in? If Sims is first off the bench then Snyder is a third string tackle. Now, if an interior lineman gets hurt, who is the first off the bench? Baas or Wragge would be there before Snyder. So Snyder is a third stringer at four positions, which isn't that valuable. If Boone proves he is a better tackle, game over. I like Snyder, but this team needs to always look to getting better. Snyder won't get any better, but Boone will.
  • Karma
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,190
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
I think Wragge could be on the outs. I don't seem to remember him taking any actual snaps at center either.

Snyder is one of the most valuable members of the reserve line. He can play 4 different line positions, and do each fairly well. He may not be starter-quality, but that kind of versatility and experience is hard to find.

I'm hoping Balmer can get fully healthy, and quick. We need him to develop and push Soap for PT. I don't see him as a NT at all. He, much like Soap now, is longer and leaner and just doesn't physically eat up space. I don't care about height/weight. Just look at Aubrayo. He takes up space, regardless of measurables.

You might be right about Wragge being gone, but he has played Center before. When Heitmann broke his leg a few years ago Wragge stepped in. Wragge will be gone if they think Baas can be the back-up Center. If Wragge leaves Snyder and Boone could both make the roster. If not, there will be a competition.

Snyder might be able to play four positions, but it might be a case of Jack-of-all-trades, master of none. If one of the tackles gets hurt, who goes in? If Sims is first off the bench then Snyder is a third string tackle. Now, if an interior lineman gets hurt, who is the first off the bench? Baas or Wragge would be there before Snyder. So Snyder is a third stringer at four positions, which isn't that valuable. If Boone proves he is a better tackle, game over. I like Snyder, but this team needs to always look to getting better. Snyder won't get any better, but Boone will.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone