LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 182 users in the forums

Article -Why No Corner??

• Walsh
  • Veteran
I would have loved grabbing a corner in the 2nd and couldn't understand why we didn't get one until I saw this article. That being said, I love the picks we did get. Mays is Ronnie Lott's favorite college safety and Bowman was once considered a first round pass rusher. Here's to long careers for these guys!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?&entry_id=62009
Maybe some how Cox will drop to one of our three 6th round picks. I doubt it, but who thought Claussen would fall to 48?
  • 49erFanOrlandoFl
  • Info N/A
There are still so many good CBs left...someone will be there for sure...I am hoping for AJ Jefferson if he doesn't go in the 4th round he will likely be there in the 6th for us....Plz let it happen Plz!
Corner really isn't a pressing need for us anyway. People like to point to the ONE bad game Nate had (Atlanta) last year as evidence that he's done. It's rubbish. Corners get beat sometimes, it comes along with the territory. Darrell Revis got owned last year by Ted Ginn. I remember Champ Bailey getting thoroughly embarrassed before by Chad Johnson. Hell, even our own Michael Crabtree went up and got his first NFL TD against last year's defensive player of the year, Charles Woodson. And mind you Roddy White is not only one of the fastest players in the NFL, but he's one of the best at his position.

It's not like it was random bum out there schooling Nate. It happens.

So with a healthy Nate back in the lineup, Spencer and Brown can battle it out for the #2 position with the loser becoming the nickel back. So we can definitely can use more depth at CB, I think our starters are pretty much set.

And with the said, between Nate, Goldson, and Mays we have some serious HITTERS out there. I'm excited to see what these guys can do as a group.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I hadn't even heard of Roddy White before he had that game against us last year.

I tracked him for the rest of the year after that, and he had nowhere near that type of a performance against anyone else.
Originally posted by kray28:
I hadn't even heard of Roddy White before he had that game against us last year.

I tracked him for the rest of the year after that, and he had nowhere near that type of a performance against anyone else.

Really? Do you not follow football outside of the 49ers? White has put together 3 thousand yard seasons in a row. He's been the Falcons #1 receiver the last few years.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I don't really watch the league much....I actually watched more this past season than the previous few (games not involving the 49ers, at least). Generally, I set aside a 2-3 hour block on fall Sunday afternoons for the 49ers. Frankly, I don't give a crap about any other team, and I'm not into fantasy football at all.

I'm an old school fan in many ways....I root for a team and its' players. I'm not a "football fan" and I don't really care about players that aren't 49ers.

Also, it's just getting older, having a family, and having a job that requires killer hours at times. I just can't sit around anymore and devote hours in front of the TV watching sports I don't really have any vested interest in.
I don't really watch the league much....I actually watched more this past season than the previous few (games not involving the 49ers, at least). Generally, I set aside a 2-3 hour block on fall Sunday afternoons for the 49ers. Frankly, I don't give a crap about any other team, and I'm not into fantasy football at all.

I'm an old school fan in many ways....I root for a team and its' players. I'm not a "football fan" and I don't really care about players that aren't 49ers.

Also, it's just getting older, having a family, and having a job that requires killer hours at times. I just can't sit around anymore and devote hours in front of the TV watching sports I don't really have any vested interest in.

Meaning . . . you've got some balance in your life? How dare you, man!
That's a concept foreign to many, but not lost on you apparently. Kudos!

On the subject of White and Clements: Yes, I understand that White is a pretty decent WR . . . but his day against Clements was the best he's had. Clements was supposed to be a shut down corner . . . he's not. To say that he just had an off day is flat wrong. Whenever called on to hold down his spot on an island, he gets burned. He had a similar performance against Dallas the year before. Brown is not the answer either.

To say that we don't need help at cornerback is a GROSS mis-assessment of the Niner's needs. Probably the Niner's greatest area of need. Someone who can play with the fast guys. And another who can play with the slots. The mordern day offense of the NFL has evolved into predominantly a passing attack. Speed, possession and the heavy participation of a slot receiver. The Nners need to keep up.
Clements
Spencer
Brown
Paymah

Our depth is alright. Nobody we could have gotten would crack top 3. I hope we get Jefferson in the 6th, and resign either bly or harris
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

On the subject of White and Clements: Yes, I understand that White is a pretty decent WR . . . but his day against Clements was the best he's had. Clements was supposed to be a shut down corner . . . he's not. To say that he just had an off day is flat wrong. Whenever called on to hold down his spot on an island, he gets burned. He had a similar performance against Dallas the year before. Brown is not the answer either.

To say that we don't need help at cornerback is a GROSS mis-assessment of the Niner's needs. Probably the Niner's greatest area of need. Someone who can play with the fast guys. And another who can play with the slots. The mordern day offense of the NFL has evolved into predominantly a passing attack. Speed, possession and the heavy participation of a slot receiver. The Nners need to keep up.

I have to respectfully disagree and I think you'll see next year. And quite personally, to me having 2 bad games over the course of the 3 years or so he's been here isn't that bad. TO, and Roddy White have abused a lot of corners. That's what GOOD receivers do. That's what makes them good. To say that he can't hold his own "on an island" (the basing that sentiment off two games) is a stretch.

I'm not saying he's the best in the league right now, but he still is pretty damn good. My point is simply even good corners get beat from time to time. It's a fact of life.

Originally posted by baltien:
Corner really isn't a pressing need for us anyway. People like to point to the ONE bad game Nate had (Atlanta) last year as evidence that he's done. It's rubbish. Corners get beat sometimes, it comes along with the territory. Darrell Revis got owned last year by Ted Ginn. I remember Champ Bailey getting thoroughly embarrassed before by Chad Johnson. Hell, even our own Michael Crabtree went up and got his first NFL TD against last year's defensive player of the year, Charles Woodson. And mind you Roddy White is not only one of the fastest players in the NFL, but he's one of the best at his position.

It's not like it was random bum out there schooling Nate. It happens.

So with a healthy Nate back in the lineup, Spencer and Brown can battle it out for the #2 position with the loser becoming the nickel back. So we can definitely can use more depth at CB, I think our starters are pretty much set.

And with the said, between Nate, Goldson, and Mays we have some serious HITTERS out there. I'm excited to see what these guys can do as a group.

The other thing the media is loving to do these days is talk about how Clements was "benched" because the 49ers thought they had better match ups against the Colts receivers with our other good corners.

As a result, we did an excellent job against the Colts receivers.

Our corners have shut down the top wide receivers in the league. Fans of course expect them to do it all day, every game, every series, and if they don't then we have "corner issues". They also expect our corners to cover every running back and TE, even if they are not assigned to cover them; that's asking a lot.

Just get an offense that stops going 3n'out all the time, and our corners will not only give up fewer yards to WR's (which they were very good at last year) but they will also "give up" fewer yards to running backs and TE's, who they aren't assigned to cover anyway.

I have to respectfully disagree and I think you'll see next year. And quite personally, to me having 2 bad games over the course of the 3 years or so he's been here isn't that bad. TO, and Roddy White have abused a lot of corners. That's what GOOD receivers do. That's what makes them good. To say that he can't hold his own "on an island" (the basing that sentiment off two games) is a stretch.

I'm not saying he's the best in the league right now, but he still is pretty damn good. My point is simply even good corners get beat from time to time. It's a fact of life.

And the only "shut down" corner who ever played (and created that very term), was Deion Sanders. There are no other "shut down" corners.

And even Deion himself would get beat for long touchdowns from time to time.

Our fans expect an AWFUL LOT from our corners, and ignore the fact that they often shut down some of the best wide receivers/quarterbacks in the league.

Just stop the 3n'outs and everything will be rosy.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

And the only "shut down" corner who ever played (and created that very term), was Deion Sanders. There are no other "shut down" corners.

And even Deion himself would get beat for long touchdowns from time to time.

Our fans expect an AWFUL LOT from our corners, and ignore the fact that they often shut down some of the best wide receivers/quarterbacks in the league.

Just stop the 3n'outs and everything will be rosy.

I agree somewhat. Our CB's unit is above average. But we should add a young speedy prospect. You can't have enough good DB's.

But in the niners and briango's defense, I think this was not the year for that.
First, this draft class was kinda s**tty in CB's. I don't recall a recent draft class where no CB's ran sub 4.4. This year, no DB at the combine ran sub 4.4. First time in a long time. There's some good decent prospects this year but still alot weaker compared to past drafts.

Bottomline: I think our CB's are good enough to play this upcoming. This is the one year where Nate's contract won't hurt the Niners due to no salary cap. If Alex Smith or whoever our QB is plays as good as we hope, then CB probably becomes our #1 target next year. Not sure about next year's group of CB's but I suspect they'll be better.
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 24, 2010 at 11:40 AM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I'm also a believer in the idea that we're also better off improving our front 7 (DL and LB core)....pass rush and run support D...than relying too much on "shutdown corners" for good pass defense. It's more cost effective if anything than overspending resources on bigtime talent in the defensive backfield.

I'd rather have a great pass rush and so-so DBs, than a so-so pass rush and great DBs....because as the previous post pointed out, even Deion in his prime would get burned from time to time.
Originally posted by 49erFanOrlandoFl:
There are still so many good CBs left...someone will be there for sure...I am hoping for AJ Jefferson if he doesn't go in the 4th round he will likely be there in the 6th for us....Plz let it happen Plz!

no college INTs FTL

but I still want jefferson
Share 49ersWebzone