LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 164 users in the forums

Denver May Have Had the Worst Draft I've Ever Seen

Originally posted by nickbradley:
They entered the draft with two major needs: Nose Tackle and Wide Receiver. Most Mocks had them taking Dan Williams or Dez Bryant at 11.

When they pick at 22, they PASS on a star like Bryant for a nobody (Thomas has never ran a route tree, has straight-line speed, so-so hands), and THEN they pass on Dan Williams for Tebow.

Now, nothing against Tebow, but Williams was rated in the Top 10 -- if he falls to you at 25 and you pass (and he's your #1 need), you're insane.

I think I'm so amazed because they were so close to have in the best draft in the NFL...but ended up with the worst.

Amazing...

How do you know it's that bad? Give it some time to see. You can't judge it yet.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
They entered the draft with two major needs: Nose Tackle and Wide Receiver. Most Mocks had them taking Dan Williams or Dez Bryant at 11.

When they pick at 22, they PASS on a star like Bryant for a nobody (Thomas has never ran a route tree, has straight-line speed, so-so hands), and THEN they pass on Dan Williams for Tebow.

Now, nothing against Tebow, but Williams was rated in the Top 10 -- if he falls to you at 25 and you pass (and he's your #1 need), you're insane.

I think I'm so amazed because they were so close to have in the best draft in the NFL...but ended up with the worst.

Amazing...

whats amazing is that you are not employeed by an NFL team with insight like this
  • kem99
  • Veteran
First, grades given at this point for a team's draft are virtually worthless. You won't really know for probably 3 years. They're just easy for media guys to give out to either make the fan base feel better or to stir the pot for local sports talk.

Second, perhaps picking Thomas instead of Bryant will be another Kevin Dyson before Randy Moss or, at least to date, Heyward-Bey going before Crabtree, but you're ignoring that obviously there were concerns about Bryant across many of the teams. You're also ignoring that Thomas was considered a 1st round talent. At this point, its just as likely that Thomas will be a good player in McDaniel's system and Bryant will implode once he's paid and become more trouble than he's worth as it is that Bryant will be a star and Thomas will be a bust.

Third, if McDaniel is able to develop Tebow and he becomes a star, the rest of it won't matter. It will be considered a good to great draft for Denver. If Tebow fails, it will be a bad draft and McDaniel probably will get fired.
Originally posted by Crown:

Amazing...

whats amazing is that you are not employeed by an NFL team with insight like this

lmmfao!!!!!!
the broncos with joshi are the new raiders/al davis.
So far Jacksonville has had the worst draft. Denver has simply taken the biggest gamble.
Originally posted by miked1978:
So far Jacksonville has had the worst draft. Denver has simply taken the biggest gamble.

OP is taking a beating on this thread, some funny, others are a little harsh.

Back on-topic, I agree w/ you. Jags picked what...a 2nd rd guy in the top 10. What team was that idiotic to do something so stupid that it was ridiculed nationwide? Oh yeah, the Raiders w/ DHB.
Share 49ersWebzone