LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Why's everyone so hot on grabbing a CB?

• Chico
  • Veteran
i thought or DBs/Safety's played pretty good! They picked off Jay Cutler 5 times and Kurt Warner 4-5 times....our D-line had 44-45 sacks which helps the corners. Nate and Spencer are still young and solid. T Brown has speed and potential Goldson is a stud...i can see us getting a Safety like Taylor Mays but i don't think we need a CB. If anything, i think we need a speedy RB to compliment Gore.

thoughts?
I think more people would rather see a Safety to replace Lewis than a CB. The only thing with our CBs is they can't keep up with the younger faster WRs (see Roddy White). And most of those sacks that you posted came from our LBs. Personally I would love Taylor Mays or Nate Allen with our next pick
no taylor mays plz...i know that you could try to build him up but we havent any time to teach a 2nd-rounder how to cover.
and yes, a good safety or a fast cb, is what we need in our secondary badly...
Originally posted by Chico:
i thought or DBs/Safety's played pretty good! They picked off Jay Cutler 5 times and Kurt Warner 4-5 times....our D-line had 44-45 sacks which helps the corners. Nate and Spencer are still young and solid. T Brown has speed and potential Goldson is a stud...i can see us getting a Safety like Taylor Mays but i don't think we need a CB. If anything, i think we need a speedy RB to compliment Gore.

thoughts?

they do have Nate, Spencer, and Brown and thats it. Last yr Brown was hurt , Nate wasn't as good pluse he was hurt. they lost Bly, and Haris. They need some help at CB. fresh leg that can keep up with the fast WR
I guess they figure their team needs some help against the pass (since I keep hearing that the NFL has become a "pass-oriented league" (probably didn't say that phrase right...)). We should be ok in the CB (except that we need better help in the secondary (as we saw last year with Clements out most of the season due to injury)), but we really need some veteran help in the safety position (like others have said before).

I am completely ignorant as to what is available in the restricted free agent department (for safetys, of course), but I remember hearing that we could see our 9ers get some help in June or July (is that when RFA are allowed to trade with (restricted?) teams?) with other positions we need help in; is there any truth to us being able to get some help from a player that is not able to come to us at the moment?
you are correct our cb's playd well for the most part, but injuries make a team pretty thin, as you saw last yr with clements out, brown got handled against gb and bly was a very good cb for us. We already have Smith as a backup safety and the lsu rookie from last year as a backup.

We really are drafting for the future here b/c 1 more concussion to lewis and he is out, and if 1 cb goes down again we start getting thin.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
thanks for the replies. i just think we have more pressing needs. we addressed the line for the first time in a decade! WR are good, QB good/decent, Defense seems solid...i really think we need a change of pace RB to compliment Frank...KR is set with Ginn Jr., maybe a new kicker as Nedney is getting older??
  • Frisch
  • Info N/A
They need to get Mays, Allen, or Kindle in the 2nd. Our CBs are SLOW. Just as asu49ers talked about the Falcons, that game was rough to watch sense none of the CBs could keep up with there WR. Jordan Shipley in the 3rd...he is a beast.
[ Edited by Frisch on Apr 23, 2010 at 6:49 AM ]
taylor mays ss from usc or s kindle olb texas or spikes mlb gators my favorite is taylor mays fastest safety at combine huge hitter reminds me of lott he goes with the 49ers theme physical with f like iupati and davis extremely physical and mark roman sucks and michael lewis is one concussion away from retirement and slow as hell i agree we need a safety i want taylor mays more than a cb but i also understand why cb is important as well nate clement is no revis island and he is being paid like one i like nate and spencer but even jets drafted a young corner and the have great tandem revis and cromratie as much as teams throw u can never have to many good corners i want areanas cb from alabama and kr and pr or mccluster rb/wr/kr/pr from ol miss
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Nate Clements has me concerned... prior to his injury he was replaced because of his lack of speed... he is tough and physical, but just can't run with speed recievers. If we draft a corner it needs to be someone with cover skills and top end speed (see: Franks, Dominique) and not another slow physical guy. I would like to see if Clements could make a Rod Woodson type transition to FS alowing Goldson to move to SS.

On a side not Franks was a very good punt returner at OU as well... ya know in case those folks in Miami were right about Ginn being shaky on punts.

Nate Allen or Perrish Cox on Day 2 would be nice with some pass rush with the other pick, and we're moving firmly in the right direction with this draft.

Disappointed we don't have a 4th and a 5th so I guess a lot of guys I like will bypass us and land elsewhere but hopefully we'll have some drop into 6 or 7.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
clements is close to done as a starting cb in this league, brown and spencer are ok as 2nd and 3rd string players but they aint good enough to be starters. we need help at cb.
  • Indy49er1980
  • Info N/A
Last year I wanted the niners to draft dline so the secondary had some help. They can't be asked to cover wideouts like fitz for longer than 15 sec. We didn't draft that position and our dline and linebackers had the best year they have had in a long time. So this year because of the losses of Walt and Dre it is time to improve the secondary. Everyone remembers the Favre prayer right? That is why we need secondary. There is no reason that should of ever happened. Everyone seems to be a Talyor Mays Hater. My question is why? He was a premier talent in college and he dominated the combine. He is a physical freak just like Vernon was coming out of college. He is a huge guy. He is cocky and confident. It's like drafting a faster TO to play safety. He may not live up to the hype but I think we can't take the chance and pass up on the guy. The opportunity to have a dominant safety like Lott after some many years is in our grasp. I also would love to see Kindle in a niner uniform. If we trade away some picks to get these 2 guys I would be the happiest niner fan alive. With the 2 ol and these 2 defensive players there is no doubt we will win the division.
Draft a CB and move Nate to S.
CB is one of the most critical positions on defense...with Clements probably in his last year with the team, it would make a ton of sense to draft a good CB. In the NFC West, if you don't have good CB's, you're screwed. So, 2nd rd would be a great spot to get the best one on the board.
Share 49ersWebzone