LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Final Ghost mocking

I like it as we get extra ordinary value at both picks, Bulaga a top 10 on most boards and the same with Thomas. Both take care of needs and provide anchors at their respective positions for years to come.

I have read some of the same scouting analysis on Bulaga and the "short arms" issue. Still, he's a "natural" at LOT in the zone scheme from what I read. Sure he doesn't have that much more upside because he's already there physically. Hey, he handled Morgan on a top stage in front of God and everybody. I know it is one game, but damn, that was some domination. Then you have tape of Graham absolutely terrorizing him.

Given value, need and market, I just can't see Bulaga falling from Seattle's clutches at #6. There just won't be one at #14 and is eight spots worth rolling the dice on a franchise need at LOT?

Originally posted by ninertico:
I like it as we get extra ordinary value at both picks, Bulaga a top 10 on most boards and the same with Thomas. Both take care of needs and provide anchors at their respective positions for years to come.

I have read some of the same scouting analysis on Bulaga and the "short arms" issue. Still, he's a "natural" at LOT in the zone scheme from what I read. Sure he doesn't have that much more upside because he's already there physically. Hey, he handled Morgan on a top stage in front of God and everybody. I know it is one game, but damn, that was some domination. Then you have tape of Graham absolutely terrorizing him.

Given value, need and market, I just can't see Bulaga falling from Seattle's clutches at #6. There just won't be one at #14 and is eight spots worth rolling the dice on a franchise need at LOT?

I personally don't see Seattle reaching for Bulaga when Carroll has deep insight into Charles Brown (who is probably a better pure/athletic LT than Bulaga) who could likely be had at #17.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I personally don't see Seattle reaching for Bulaga when Carroll has deep insight into Charles Brown (who is probably a better pure/athletic LT than Bulaga) who could likely be had at #17.

I get that argument and would ordinarily concur, but not on this one especially when Brown is mostly considered a late round prospect as opposed to a mid round one, at least what I have read and heard. Therefore, I expect less or a reach for Bulaga at #6 VS Brown at #14.

I just see Seattle having more options at DE when they pick at #14 in Morgan, JPP, and Griffen. Heck, they may take T. Williams at #6 if he drops. IMO, their board would have Bulaga over Morgan. Hey, but that is just one "arm chair GM's" opinion.

Do you really see Brown that high? Yes, I have read the article comparing both he and Davis, but in this class?

This brings even more intrigue to the mid round. I'd watch out for NYG. I think they may go with an OL, too.

I get that argument and would ordinarily concur, but not on this one especially when Brown is mostly considered a late round prospect as opposed to a mid round one, at least what I have read and heard. Therefore, I expect less or a reach for Bulaga at #6 VS Brown at #14.

I just see Seattle having more options at DE when they pick at #14 in Morgan, JPP, and Griffen. Heck, they may take T. Williams at #6 if he drops. IMO, their board would have Bulaga over Morgan. Hey, but that is just one "arm chair GM's" opinion.

Do you really see Brown that high? Yes, I have read the article comparing both he and Davis, but in this class?

This brings even more intrigue to the mid round. I'd watch out for NYG. I think they may go with an OL, too.

If Duane Brown could be drafted in the 1st round (26th) in 2008 (was generally considered a 2nd-3rd rounder), Charles Brown could definitely go in the mid-1st. More importantly, Carroll knows exactly what he's getting in Charles Brown, so the chances are high they go in that direction.

I think you're right about Trent Williams though, if he's still there for Seattle at #6 I think they rush to the podium and grab him.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Don't like the idea of going safety, safety in Thomas and Jones. Yeah that plan is to convert Thomas to corner but I'm just not high on that idea.

In the NFL these days, it's all about being able to make plays in the secondary...this guy has that ability. Will it take him a year or two to put it all together as a CB, very likely...but that probably goes for any "pure" CB we would draft who would also sit behind Clements and Spencer. The more research you do on Thomas, the more you see what a talent he is, and adding him to your secondary in ANY capacity is simply a smart move.

The problem I have is I don't want him pegged at corner. I'm fine with drafting him and using him in a role similiar to Meriweather but if he's best suited to be a safety then that's where he should go. We lose some of that luxury with the Jones pick.

Personally I would only take one of those two guys.

You plug in Iupati or Ducasse at guard instead and the line is set for years to come.

Yea that's the only thing I don't understand about this mock. Two of your 1st 3 picks will just be sitting and learning. That's not a recipe for success theses days in the NFL. If your secondary is suspect why are you drafting guys who can't come in and play right now. Last time i checked coaches don't have enough job security to wait 2/3 seasons for guys to develop and make an impact. The good teams identify guys who can come in and contribute right away. Then what if Thomas has to move back to safety and you have him and Jones along with Goldson. One of those draft picks becomes a complete waste. I like Thomas and Jones I just don't get drafting them both. I'd take an OG like Jon Jerry over Jones in the 2nd and this would be perfect.

Sidenote I really think Casserly and Kiper talk to each other a lot b/c they say almost the something about the same players specifically Bulaga. Kiper was saying the something on a podcast bout 3 weeks ago that many teams view him as strictly and RT and he lacks athleticism.

I disagree on a few counts here.

1.) I see 2 out of the 3 top picks being able to contribute heavily right away. Obviously Bulaga, but also Thomas. Now, it's a matter of being realistic. No CB that we draft is going to start over Nate and Spencer and I'm sure you realize this. However, Thomas has the kind of cover/playmaking skills that allow him to immediately contribute as a nickel CB, and given how often teams play nickel, he'll be on the field a lot. We have to remember, just because a guy isn't starting doesn't mean he's not contributing heavily. Now, after a year of playing heavy nickel and maybe even picking up a few starts here and there, Thomas could be ready to take over for Nate in 2011 (as his contract just gets more bloated and his production seems to wane). Should we just grab a pure CB like Kyle Wilson? Sure, I wouldn't have a problem with that...I just prefer Thomas' overall skills and versatility over Wilson's, so it's more a matter of preference for me.

2.) I believe the best teams identify guys who can develop into star players over time. We fans want instant satisfaction, so we want our teams to draft guys that can fill areas of need and get on the field right away. That doesn't always translate into long-term success, though. A guy like Reshad Jones is an ideal combo safety in that he's big enough to be a force against the run, and athletic enough to make plays in pass coverage....however, he's very raw and needs seasoning. You might want to pass on a guy like that for instant impact in 2010 (and I'm not saying you're wrong either), but a smart team will see a guy like Jones and work with him to develop his skills and hopefully turn him into a pro-bowl safety in the years to come.

3.) I always take what Kiper says with a grain of salt. If I remember correctly, he said neither David Carr or Joey Harrington would be a bust.

I can roll with that for the most part. See when i saw your roster options you had Thomas and Jones both listed as 5th at there positions. I thought that meant you didn't expect either to play much. I shouldn't have assumed that. And if Brown can be replaced by Thomas then Thomas could challenge Nate for his spot b/c Brown took Nate's spot last year before injury. So I wouldn't sit here and say nobody they draft wouldn't be good enough to replace Nate or Spencer. More than likely a slim chance but it is a chance especially if Nate isn't 100%.

As for Jones I like him a lot but as you mentioned he's really raw. Personally I would prefer a ready to play OG if possible. I don't have a problem waiting on guys to develop but I would like to see him developing while still seeing the field.

As for Kiper I take what he says with a grain of salt also. But I do that for all of these guys just not Kiper. All of these guys have major hits and misses.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't think your picks are bad by any means, but I'm thinking the offense needs more improvement. Bulaga is an awesome start but we need another guy for defenses to be afraid of.

I thought about that and have been a huge advocate for Spiller (or someone like him) early on. But you know, another year with the same QB and same playbook for guys like Davis, Gore, Crabtree, Walker, Morgan, Jones, Hill, etc., along with talent at RT and we should be in real good shape.

Not only that, if we upgrade our special teams (Vann and McCann are both super fast and extremely productive), we'll have much better field position and possibly even score on occasion on kickoffs/punts.

But I get where you're coming from and wouldn't be opposed to having a more offensive-minded draft, especially at the top.

But you would still be ok with Spiller right? I'd like a RT also but Spiller wouldn't dissapoint me.

I'm liking a Spiller and Anthony Davis first round, then go defense round 2 and 3.

This. That would be a perfect draft for me. Give that woeful offense a shot in the arm with a big upgrade at RT and a guy who can lineup all over the field for mismatches, while taking care of return duties.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
I don't think your picks are bad by any means, but I'm thinking the offense needs more improvement. Bulaga is an awesome start but we need another guy for defenses to be afraid of.

I thought about that and have been a huge advocate for Spiller (or someone like him) early on. But you know, another year with the same QB and same playbook for guys like Davis, Gore, Crabtree, Walker, Morgan, Jones, Hill, etc., along with talent at RT and we should be in real good shape.

Not only that, if we upgrade our special teams (Vann and McCann are both super fast and extremely productive), we'll have much better field position and possibly even score on occasion on kickoffs/punts.

But I get where you're coming from and wouldn't be opposed to having a more offensive-minded draft, especially at the top.

But you would still be ok with Spiller right? I'd like a RT also but Spiller wouldn't dissapoint me.

I'm liking a Spiller and Anthony Davis first round, then go defense round 2 and 3.

This. That would be a perfect draft for me. Give that woeful offense a shot in the arm with a big upgrade at RT and a guy who can lineup all over the field for mismatches, while taking care of return duties.

If I was drafting, I would definitely/absolutely/positively target Davis and Spiller...I just don't believe Davis will be there (to talented, even with the bad PR he's been getting) and I don't think we'll draft Spiller.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

If I was drafting, I would definitely/absolutely/positively target Davis and Spiller...I just don't believe Davis will be there (to talented, even with the bad PR he's been getting) and I don't think we'll draft Spiller.

I partially agree. I do think Davis has a chance to slip, after all, we did get Crabs at 10 when he could have gone much earlier. His character concerns could factor in much more after people saw what happened with Andre Smith in Cincy.

As far as Spiller goes, I'm afraid the team won't have him valued high enough to choose him with one of our selections. So I agree that I don't THINK we'll draft him, but I still have hope that we do.

I'm hopefully someone throws the return stat sheet on the table in the war room so we can be reminded of Battle's .7 yard avg and Delanie Walker's .8 yd avg. (Those are literally what the stats were, if not they are very close to the real thing. Going off of memory)
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Nice job 74, but I guess I'm alone in thinking Jones is overrated at safety. And I'd rather Wilson than Thomas, but that's nitpicking.

I know Davis has some flee's but, I warming up to him at 13 or 17.

If Duane Brown could be drafted in the 1st round (26th) in 2008 (was generally considered a 2nd-3rd rounder), Charles Brown could definitely go in the mid-1st. More importantly, Carroll knows exactly what he's getting in Charles Brown, so the chances are high they go in that direction.

I think you're right about Trent Williams though, if he's still there for Seattle at #6 I think they rush to the podium and grab him.

You know something, I also think that E. Thomas could potentially go to the Dolphins. It is between he and D. Williams as you picked. I don't see McClain as they just picked up Dansby who will play MIKE if I am not mistaken. If Thomas goes to the Dolphins, do we go after him with #13 or risk NYG taking him?

You know something Ghost, more and more I see us landing two outstanding, immediately contributing players whose value would be top 10 in most drafts. This one is surely special. Man, that Carolina pick is huge, McC's legacy will be that one move, seriously. I love the fact we can land any one of these guys at #17:
Spiller
Haden
Thomas
D. Williams
Graham
Kindle

...all of whom would fit a need and would be of value no matter how you cut it. If somehow A. Davis slips and lands on our laps at #13, I would consider #17 simply a huge helping of gravy. #17 really could be where the value will be for us...a starting corner, safety, NT, pass rusher, or the best RB/RS. Thank you Carolina!

On another page, I wanted your thought on something and I am not sure if this has been covered elsewhere. What is your thought on a Dan Williams/Brandon Graham combo seeing as Franklin and Lawson are both question marks for 2011? If we sign Franklin long term, then fine. But if we don't, NT will be a huge need. Why not grab one now?

The same goes for Manny. I just don't think he will be back next year and LaBoy would only be replacing him...we still would need another pass rusher. Why not Graham or Kindle at #17? Both would fit well in our scheme with Graham being more relentless, IMO.

Both D. Williams and one of those two pass rushing hybrids would go well together like PB&J if we can't get that tackle. Still, I hope for A. Davis, Spiller or Haden at #13.

Like I said before KC, Oakland and Buffalo hold the cards to our OT hopes. One drops, he's ours above all else.
oops, dbl post...doooooohhhhhhhh
[ Edited by ninertico on Apr 15, 2010 at 1:37 PM ]

You know something, I also think that E. Thomas could potentially go to the Dolphins. It is between he and D. Williams as you picked. I don't see McClain as they just picked up Dansby who will play MIKE if I am not mistaken. If Thomas goes to the Dolphins, do we go after him with #13 or risk NYG taking him?

You know something Ghost, more and more I see us landing two outstanding, immediately contributing players whose value would be top 10 in most drafts. This one is surely special. Man, that Carolina pick is huge, McC's legacy will be that one move, seriously. I love the fact we can land any one of these guys at #17:
Spiller
Haden
Thomas
D. Williams
Graham
Kindle

...all of whom would fit a need and would be of value no matter how you cut it. If somehow A. Davis slips and lands on our laps at #13, I would consider #17 simply a huge helping of gravy. #17 really could be where the value will be for us...a starting corner, safety, NT, pass rusher, or the best RB/RS. Thank you Carolina!

On another page, I wanted your thought on something and I am not sure if this has been covered elsewhere. What is your thought on a Dan Williams/Brandon Graham combo seeing as Franklin and Lawson are both question marks for 2011? If we sign Franklin long term, then fine. But if we don't, NT will be a huge need. Why not grab one now?

The same goes for Manny. I just don't think he will be back next year and LaBoy would only be replacing him...we still would need another pass rusher. Why not Graham or Kindle at #17? Both would fit well in our scheme with Graham being more relentless, IMO.

Both D. Williams and one of those two pass rushing hybrids would go well together like PB&J if we can't get that tackle. Still, I hope for A. Davis, Spiller or Haden at #13.

Like I said before KC, Oakland and Buffalo hold the cards to our OT hopes. One drops, he's ours above all else.

Ninertico:
I have had some of the same thoughts. If the headlliners OTs are off the board and Haden is off the board, what would it be like to get D. Williams at NT and then Wilson/Spiller/Graham/Thomas at 17? Is D. Williams a can't miss NT? If we took this route would it indicate that there is a RT in the lower rounds, or the possibility of Boone being a RT growing stronger under Solari?

Spiller
Haden
Thomas
D. Williams
Graham
Kindle

I'm perfectly fine with not reaching for an OT if the top guys are gone, and going with guys like Williams, Graham, Thomas or even Morgan or JPP (if they're still on the board). I might then trade up in the 2nd to grab Saffold and plug him in at RT...so if we ended up (for example) with Williams, Graham and Saffold in the 1st 3 picks, that would be huge! But, I just think the RT position is such a huge need, I don't think we'll wait until later to address it...for good or for bad, I think we definitely will use #13 or #17 on an OT regardless of the perceived value.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Hmmm.... reported today that Walter Jones may retire - has not shown up for OTAs. This almost assures they will need a 1st round OT.

True, im sure it was already a high priority. We can still get our guy at #13
Share 49ersWebzone