LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Some draft musings...

You seem to be under the assumption that the Raiders are going to make a sane pick.

It really only takes 1 or 2 surprise picks for the right guy to fall. KC takes Tyson Jackson, Oakland takes Heyward Bey next thing you know the unlikely happens and we have ourselves Michael Crabtree.
No offense but that seemed more like the rantings of a mad man than what I'd call draft musings.

The 49ers are in very good position to improve their team at 13 and 17. Just because a guy doesn't see the field right away doesn't mean he's not a good pick. You don't draft just for the 2010 season.

Best case scenario one of the top 3 OTs slides to us and we gladly grab him at #13 but the odds of that are slim.

I find it funny that you wave off good players because they won't see the field that much but figure drafting Mays is a good idea because he could start at SS???? The guy is more athlete than player.

If both him and Thomas are on the board you take Earl and don't look back. Goldson would switch to SS where he's more well suited to play and Thomas does what he does best as a center fielder.

I pray to god someone takes Spiller in the top 12. If we're not getting an OT in the first round we need to improve the team at other weak positions. RB is not that position for us.

Someone will fall to us there is no reason to panic and trade up before you see how the draft shakes out. For all you know Earl Thomas goes top 8, CJ Spiller is taken by Buffalo, Dez Bryant goes to the Dolphins and Bryan Bulaga is sitting there at #13.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
You seem to be under the assumption that the Raiders are going to make a sane pick.

It really only takes 1 or 2 surprise picks for the right guy to fall. KC takes Tyson Jackson, Oakland takes Heyward Bey next thing you know the unlikely happens and we have ourselves Michael Crabtree.

exactly. There are some real wild cards picking ahead of us. It's been a long time since the top 10 picks shook out exactly like everyone predicted.

Just looking at the last 5 years - here are the WTF picks before pick #13

#3 Tyson Jackson
#7 Derrius Heyward Bey - thank you Al Davis
#11 Aaron Maybin
#12 Knowshon Moreno

#8 Derrick Harvey

#8 Jamaal Anderson
#9 Ted Ginn jr
#11 Patrick Willis

#8 Donte Whitner

#7 Troy Williamson
#10 Mike Williams - only cuz he went to Detroit

I tried to include the most WTF moment picks in those years. Some other picks could've been mentioned but these ones stood out the most out of the blue to me. Some you can kind of argue against like Maybin and Anderson but given who was available I know I was pretty surprised by the pick.

And of course I'm joking about Willis.

You'll also notice that Buffalo shows up on there a couple of times as well as Jax. Nobody knows whether Al Davis will take his pills that day so weirder things have happened.

Best thing we can do is stay put and see if the players available meet our needs or if they're too good to pass up. This team isn't perfect and they're not 1 or 2 players away.
best bet is stay where we are. thomas will be an instant upgrade to the safety position. with goldson moving to ss its upgrading two spots with one pick. kyle wilson, jpp, graham with the 17 pick. no need to reach for a RT, we can get one in the second. our defense was good, making it better will only help our offense. with a true center fielder like thomas maybe we can create better field position, give the opposing quarterback something to think about so our pass rush could finally get there
Trading down would be a good idea just not to far down. I think if Dez Bryant was drafted he would be a starter over Morgan. plus there are all the DE or OLB that would be there, the DB are still there. there are some real good player still up there that they could take at 13.
Originally posted by 209niner:
best bet is stay where we are. thomas will be an instant upgrade to the safety position. with goldson moving to ss its upgrading two spots with one pick. kyle wilson, jpp, graham with the 17 pick. no need to reach for a RT, we can get one in the second. our defense was good, making it better will only help our offense. with a true center fielder like thomas maybe we can create better field position, give the opposing quarterback something to think about so our pass rush could finally get there

Hey, guy, welcome to the WebZone! Nice first post.

I like your idea of a "two for one" upgrade with Thomas, it's just not a position of great need for us. Even so, I'll take it if it comes to that. Mays would also be an upgrade at SS, though not, as you point out, a two for one.

But I'm afraid they'd be drafting Thomas for CB, and that is a work in progress and I want a starter with either of our first rounders.

Consider: Smith (maybe he won't turn out to be a bust--right now he's our starting QB), Davis, Lawson, Willis, Staley are all first rounders who are starting for us. That's what we need in this draft too.

Wilson, Pierre-Paul, Graham? Do they start for us? I don't think so. Will they help improve our team. I'll give you that, but I want more.

I agree that if the big three OTs are gone, we should look to the second round or think about Gaither.

Should be an interesting draft, in any case.

Oh, and now that McNabb's gone to Washington, I think there's only one QB going in the top twelve.

Which costs us another chance at a for sure starter.

Oh, well...
OL and DB is where our rookie starters will be and of course K/PR. if those spots are off the board BP but not a quarter back. besides any first rounder could possibly be starting next year, especially at linebacker and in the defensive backfield. will be interesting though. really cant see how we can F this draft though. . . we'll be in good shape no matter how the to 12 shake out
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I wouldn't be happy if the first 12 picks happened like that either, but if they did, I think Dan Williams or Earl Thomas would be our best choices. I really hope one of the top 4 OT falls to us at 13.
anthony davis, he'll fit our style. . . .if all OTs are gone then earl thomas and graham/wilson
i just dont like dt at those picks for us, just think we can get one later and they'll develop just as good.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Just take the BPA regardless of position.

Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by 9erred:
A lot of drama on your end......

Share 49ersWebzone