LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Where is the best 'value' in the top half of the draft?

To me, it appears that there is a TON of value in the 25 - 50 range. A lot of pass rushers, defensive backs, and offensive linemen in that range.

'Value' is defined as talent of player divided by trade value chart points (talent/trade chart points).
Nice post!

I believe that the true value lies in the middle of the round where certain top 10 picks may fall like Morgan, McClain, D. Williams, E. Thomas, A. Davis, J. Haden, CJ Spiller, and D. Bryant. All these guys in other drafts would be top 10 picks, all of them, IMO.

We are so fortunate to have two picks in that range! Honestly, we can potentially land two top 10 picks at #13 and #17. Wow!
  • krizay
  • Veteran
"value" is the most overrated and overused word during draft time. It drives me nuts! and this post is full of
Originally posted by krizay:
"value" is the most overrated and overused word during draft time. It drives me nuts! and this post is full of

don't forget "potential" and "upside"

as for this question you really won't be able to answer this til years later and you see who does and doesn't pan out how can i calculate value for things that haven't happened yet
11-25 no question. You're still getting really good players but not paying a fortune for them. So even if they don't workout you're not paying them to ride the bench.

Take a look at 2005 for a good example of it.
Honestly, in this particular draft, I think without a doubt the talent is in the 26-50 range. I would kill to have what the Patriots have with multiple 2nd round picks, because with such a deep draft, that's the spot where you want to be in. Not only can you get great players, but they're easy on the salary cap as well.

hehe. Does it make you krizay?
I actually think the best value is between 11 and 50. This is where all those guys that if they returned to school, could have ended up being top ten or top five picks, but the lack of a salary cap drew them out. Mid way into the second round this year is equal to a first round pick almost any other year. The guys in the teens like Joe Haden or Jason Pierre-Paul would have been top five if they returned to school and those are two guys the 9ers could get (but I don't want Pierre-Paul).
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

hehe. Does it make you krizay?

well played!
Originally posted by lamontb:

don't forget "potential" and "upside"

as for this question you really won't be able to answer this til years later and you see who does and doesn't pan out how can i calculate value for things that haven't happened yet

also add "measurables" ... I love Mike Mayock but this is his goto word

BTW...I choose the 11-26 because of the amount of true top 10-15 guys that will be available all through the 1st round...we are going to get at least one top 5-8 guy at 13 maybe even another at 17

cant wait for this draft

Share 49ersWebzone