LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 210 users in the forums

The first 6 picks of the draft determine everything

Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
what the hell happened so Suh? A couple months ago, he was the sure #1 pick.

Suh is the best player but Bradford has the most value.

Suh simply had one great season; and if it weren't for the UT game, he'd be a mid first round pick.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by jreff22:
I would say what Stl, Wash, Cle, and Sea do will be the biggest determining factors.

I think STL is a 'lock' to take Bradford now that his shoulder checks out.

Also, Detroit is still a question mark. Do they make the smart move and take Okung, or do they go with their gut and take Suh the one-year wonder? I expect idiocy to trump logic in Detroit.

Agree on WAS and SEA, but KC is a big mystery too. Pioli doesn't like to draft OTs very high, but will if Okung falls. But if he's not there, what do they do? Trade down, I suspect -- too many holes...they need more picks.

And on Seattle, their strategy isn't too complicated: best player available. Whether its McCoy, Berry, Spiller, or Bryant, they will take the guy at the top of their board.

Unfortunately for us, Matt Millen is no longer the GM for the Lions. Schwartz and the front office are football people that no what they are doing. I see either Okung or a DT going to them.

The same can be said for Washington. Shanahan (who I am no fan of) and Bruce Allen are a far more formidable talent evaluation group than Jim Zorn and Vinny Cerrato. For one thing, they've been able to keep Dan Snyders checkbook closed for the first time in years. They will make a choice that makes sense for the franchise, and that could very well be an OT since there stalwart retired this season.

The days of having teams like Arizona, Cleveland, Detroit and the Raiders all making front end decisions are less likely now that qualified people (in most cases) have taken over the GM and coaching duties.

Matt Millen may no longer be the GM, but his assistant is -- Martin Mahew. In 2009, Mahew balked at taking an OT with their second first rounder because they already have 'Jeff Backus' -- that was his rationale for passing on Oher.
Originally posted by miked1978:
You can say this about any draft though.

To me, this year there is a huge pool of 2nd tier and 3rd tier players.

1st tier:
Bradford
Suh
McCoy
Berry
Clausen

2nd Tier:
Is arguably 20+ players

3rd Tier is the same way as the 2nd tier.

I'd be stoked if we can somehow get back into round 2 without losing either of our 1st round picks or a 1st rounder next year. That would be 4 picks in the top 60 picks.

You forgot Okung in your first tier.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I think we will end up with Haden or Trent Williams with our 1st pick. The 2nd pick is a complete tossup IMO. Could be Iupati, Charles Brown, Brandon Graham or even a wildcard like Jared Odrick or Jason Pierre-Paul if he falls.

If Trent Williams is there, we take him (no-brainer). But I don't think he will be. As a result, I think we go BPA at 13 and take Iupati or Brown at 17.

This is a strange year because it is so deep. Last year, I knew that the best possible scenario for the 49ers is if Crabtree or Raji fell to them at #10. And once Oakland took the greatest bust of all time, we were a lock to get one of the two.

But this year, I don't know what scenario to root for. I like Trent Williams, but I have my doubts. I guess I'm rooting for Haden, Dez, Williams, Earl Thomas, and McClain to ALL be there at 13. That way, we're guaranteed to get at least TWO of those players in the 1st round. If all those guys are there, we can trade down and still be guaranteed one of them at 17 -- maybe still pick up brown or Iupati in the late 1st round.

Green Bay will take Brown @ #23, so we can't trade down any farther than NE. @ #22
Originally posted by miked1978:
You can say this about any draft though.

To me, this year there is a huge pool of 2nd tier and 3rd tier players.

1st tier:
Bradford
Suh
McCoy
Berry
Clausen

2nd Tier:
Is arguably 20+ players

3rd Tier is the same way as the 2nd tier.

I'd be stoked if we can somehow get back into round 2 without losing either of our 1st round picks or a 1st rounder next year. That would be 4 picks in the top 60 picks.

You forgot Okung in your first tier.

And you forgot that Claussen is not a first tier player. He's dropping like a rock ... neither Holmgren or Shanahan appear enamored with him, which means that if Buffalo doesn't take him then he could slip to the bottom of the first round.
  • GTniner
  • Info N/A
It would definatly help if someone overdrafted a guy in the top ten. but i have a feeling okung, bulaga, t williams and davis will be gone before 13. i dont want to reach for a guy because have such a need at RT
Share 49ersWebzone