LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 146 users in the forums

Niners23 mock draft v2.0

Hey guys, so my last mock draft included quite a few trades because I just couldn't make up my mind on who I wanted the niners to pick, I believe my current one is a bit more realistic in that respect, and I would welcome any feedback regarding it.

1. St. Louis Rams: Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
The rams need a franchise QB, and they can't afford to pass on a guy with the rare accuracy of Bradford

2. Detroit Lions: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
It's kind of a tossup between the 2 elite DTs and you can't go wrong either way, I just feel that McCoy will get the edge due to his abundance of brute force.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
The Bucs will be more than happy to take whichever DT the Lions don't.

4. Washington Redskins: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
With Bradford gone, the Redskins get the best LT in the draft to protect whoever will be their signal caller.

5. Kansas City Chiefs: Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
Although safeties aren't normally taken this high, the Chiefs need help in the secondary, and he's the BPA at this point.

6. Seattle Seahawks: C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
Seattle will get nervous about someone else taking away Spiller since they need help badly at the RB position. I don't think they wait to get Spiller, and pull the trigger on their guy.

7. Cleveland Browns: Joe Haden, CB, Florida
Haden proved in his pro day that he is the best corner in this draft, and the Browns, who need help basically everywhere, will be more than happy to take the top CB.

8. Oakland Raiders: Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
Some have indicated Campbell here, but I believe even Al Davis is smart enough to realize that this is probably Russell's last chance to prove himself, and he will get the best technician OT in the draft to help him immediately rather than waiting a year or so for Campbell to develop.

9. Buffalo Bills: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
The Bills need a QB, and even though I'm not a big fan of Clausen, I think with this year's slim QB class, the Bills will be forced to reach for Clausen as there is a big drop in the talent level of the QBs after Bradford and Clausen.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars: Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
The Jags have already signed Kampman, otherwise I would have them with Morgan here, and their next biggest weakness, with both the top 2 QB gone, is the secondary. They would've been happy with either Haden or Thomas, who should have an immediate impact.

11. Denver Broncos: Dan Williams, DT Tennessee
It seems more and more likely that the Broncos will not trade Brandon Marshall, so in anticipation of that they take the best NT in the draft and immediately shore up their DL.

12. Miami Dolphins: Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
Miami's receiving corps is in desperate need of a jolt, and Bryant should provide exactly that. I don't think he slips past Miami because of bad press, due to: 1.) that Crabtree came in last year and such a great impact and 2.) Bryant is physically the best receiver to come out since Calvin Johnson.

13. San Francisco 49ers: Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
Singletary was chomping at the bit to get Oher last year, and it was only due to the unlikely fall of Crabtree that we got denied. There's no way that Sing is denied again, and they will take the best remaining tackle on the board with Trent Williams, which gives them a sure-fire RT, who has an off-chance of becoming an LT in the future.

14. Seattle Seahawks: Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
The Seahawks had 2 primary needs in RB and OT, and they will be more than happy to take the gifted, but troubled Davis, with the hope that the great O-line coach Gibbs can get him to preform at an elite level.

15. New York Giants: Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama
The Giants' biggest need comes at ILB, and they will be pinching themselves that the best ILB in the draft has fallen to them.

16. Tennessee Titans: Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
The Titans need help in their DL, and they will take Morgan due to his proven track record, high motor and work ethic as a great value pick at 16.

17. San Francisco 49ers: Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
With the OT position set, the top 3 DB already taken, the niners will treat this as a luxury pick and take the BPA, which has to be Pierre-Paul. The more I see of this guy, the more I feel that he has the potential to be a top-5 talent. He's raw, but has not had any attitude problems or anything. The only reason he drops is because there isn't that much tape on him since he went to a JC for 2 years. However, the niners have been looking for a dynamic pass rusher for years, and this guy could very well fit the bill.

Anyways, comments are appreciated, so let me hear it!

[ Edited by Niners23 on Mar 28, 2010 at 00:01:50 ]
If the draft does play out like this I would prefer we take Iupati instead of Pierre-Paul. But thats only if the three other DBs are off the board. But I would be excited with the fact of getting Trent Williams.
Originally posted by asu49ers:
If the draft does play out like this I would prefer we take Iupati instead of Pierre-Paul. But thats only if the three other DBs are off the board. But I would be excited with the fact of getting Trent Williams.

I like Iupati, however, I'm not entirely sold on the idea of taking 2 OL rookies to start on a team that has hopes for the playoffs. If we took Iupati, it would probably be with the understanding that he may only play part or none of the first season.
Originally posted by Niners23:
Originally posted by asu49ers:

I like Iupati, however, I'm not entirely sold on the idea of taking 2 OL rookies to start on a team that has hopes for the playoffs. If we took Iupati, it would probably be with the understanding that he may only play part or none of the first season.

What asu said. It's an argument either way, but I personally would love to see Iupati. Sometime this season Baas would be riding pine.

Nice work on the mock.
Not a bad mock. Would rather take Brandon Graham with 2nd pick
Hayden way too early....he's probably going in the 15th region.

Williams the NT from Tenn Way too early.

Spiller too early. I think Pierre may not last until 17.

Besides that it is a very good Draft. Those look like the top 14 out of 17 athletes.
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by tohara3:
Not a bad mock. Would rather take Brandon Graham with 2nd pick

Agreed.
Taking Williams at #13 isn't the best value pick...yes, RT is a big need, but you don't spend that high of a draft pick on someone who hasn't proven he's LT material. If Solari/Brown are convinced they can coach him up to play LT, that may change things. But, there are 2-3 other OT's who should go in 1st rd that have already proven they can play both positions. So, it's a calculated risk...do you spend your #13 pick on a guy who MIGHT be able to play LT, or take another OT who can or just go BPA if a Haden or Spiller's there. I'd have no problem whatsoever if they end up getting best OT and Iupati. At a minimum, the OT would arguably start at RT and Iupati would compete w/Baas at LG. Nothing says both guys have to start immediately...but, what an investment in our OL...It's overdue and I'm hoping it happens.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Hayden way too early....he's probably going in the 15th region.

Williams the NT from Tenn Way too early.

Spiller too early. I think Pierre may not last until 17.

Besides that it is a very good Draft. Those look like the top 14 out of 17 athletes.

I disagree that it's too early for all 3, but I agree that JPP may not fall to 17

How does he fit into our defense, OLB?
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
I just don't understand why we would take the third or forth best tackle with our first pick when we could get Gaither who is only 24 and could play LT. Not that we need to put him at LT but he has the skill set.

[ Edited by KID9R on Mar 28, 2010 at 10:27:25 ]

• LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
JPP cannot play OLB.
it makes too much sense for the raiders to pick bulaga. never gonna happen
Originally posted by KID9R:
I just don't understand why we would take the third or forth best tackle with our first pick when we could get Gaither who is only 24 and could play LT. Not that we need to put him at LT but he has the skill set.

The rumor I've heard is that while he could be a real beast, he's just not motivated. Add in him receiving an expensive contract extension and then what do you have? A big gamble that he's not going to rest on his money... May as well take a flyer on A Davis then.

The only team needing an OT between our 13 and 17 picks is Seattle. They NEED a left OT. I think their choice is Charles Brown. Given that, T Williams should be availble for SF @ 17. The piece to the puzzle fits.

As for 13, I don't think Singletary will pass on McClain @ 13 if there. Too good a talent, a winner and a good leader.
not high on JPP at all, rather take Graham or Iupati than a 1yr wonder in JPP.

Love the 1st pick though.
Originally posted by mr_congeniality:
Originally posted by KID9R:

The rumor I've heard is that while he could be a real beast, he's just not motivated. Add in him receiving an expensive contract extension and then what do you have? A big gamble that he's not going to rest on his money... May as well take a flyer on A Davis then.

The only team needing an OT between our 13 and 17 picks is Seattle. They NEED a left OT. I think their choice is Charles Brown. Given that, T Williams should be availble for SF @ 17. The piece to the puzzle fits.

As for 13, I don't think Singletary will pass on McClain @ 13 if there. Too good a talent, a winner and a good leader.

Where is McClain gonna play?
Share 49ersWebzone