There are 144 users in the forums

In Regards to the Need for a RT, I Have a Feeling...

...the 49ers trade for a veteran OT. Face it, The closer we get to the draft, the less likely it looks like we'll get a top OT. We've heard that the talent level drops significantly after the top 4 OT prospects. I would trade for a veteran.
With the new guys in charge I just don't see any trades coming down the pipe. I mean what veteran's are even on the trading block? And if you got a good RT you don't trade him unless there is a contract problem or something else going on. Besides Jason Peters I can't recall the last time a top OT was traded.
I'd be ecstatic if we made a play for Gaither.
Gaither would be great or another T that is proven....but i think 13 or 17 will be a T and the other pick will be safety (because it will be too high for the 2nd cb, assuming Hayden is gone) and we won't pick a RB (Spiller) which we need for speed because we spent a 3rd last year on Coffee.

I really wish we would get Spiller at 13 and the BPA out of safety or OT at 17.....and if the OT we need is not there at 17 or a reach, we can still get a very solid RT in the 2nd as we have seen in previous drafts
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
...the 49ers trade for a veteran OT. Face it, The closer we get to the draft, the less likely it looks like we'll get a top OT. We've heard that the talent level drops significantly after the top 4 OT prospects. I would trade for a veteran.

Why exactly do you think we have to trade for a RT? If you look at past four drafts, only 2009 represents a year in which 3 OTs were taken in the top 10.

The better question is if Trent Williams or Bryan Bulaga is going to be there at #13 because they more the most ideal prospects for RT. IF they aren't, then who would we trade for?

2009:

Jason Smith (1); Andre Smith (6); Eugene Monroe (8)

2008:

Jake Long (1); Ryan Clady (12); Chris Williams (14)

2007:

Joe Thomas (3); Levi Brown (5); Joe Staley (28)

2006:

D'Brickashaw Ferguson (4)
Williams stock is rising, I don't think he will be there at 13. Bulaga maybe could be there for us

I don't want Anthony Davis though
Originally posted by PTulini:

That's too smart...the 49ers won't trade for Gaither. But you're right: the best move is to trade the #13 for Gaither and draft a playmaker at 17.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things shape up.
Instead of fantasizing about drafting the next Ronnie Lott or Larry Allen or stealing a premier tackle from another team, how about shoring up the one position that has plagued us for the last 5 years and bring in an ideal RT in Williams or Bulaga?

People mostly sound like they want Alex Smith to succeed, but he never will if we keep jury-rigging and patching up the right tackle position with mediocrity and then crossing our fingers.
Originally posted by elguapo:

I really wish we would get Spiller at 13 and the BPA out of safety or OT at 17.....and if the OT we need is not there at 17 or a reach, we can still get a very solid RT in the 2nd as we have seen in previous drafts

I don't think we have to take one of the top 3 OTs in the first round in order to get a ROT starter in this draft. There are a lost of guys in that second tier of OTs that we could get in the second, and I think many of them could be starters this year. Especially on the right side.
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
I think that the top 3 OT will be off the board by 13.
Originally posted by Stuuk:

Agree
Originally posted by tohara3:

Agree

Iupati at #17, trade Baas to move up our #49 to grab Saffold.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by tohara3:

Agree

Iupati at #17, trade Baas to move up our #49 to grab Saffold.

Does Baas have value? If at all, you'll probably only move that #49 pick to #47 with Baas' value.
Share 49ersWebzone