LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Nick's 3/14 Top 17 Mock (SF Takes Haden and Earl Thomas)

* Note: I think that somebody is going to trade up to #2 to take the QB STL doesn't take; Seattle makes a lot of sense.

The way that the Top 12 shakes out, we're left with the tough choice of Joe Haden or CJ Spiller...we take Haden because its more of a need and we can get a return man in the 2nd or 3rd round. At 17, we're in a tough spot. The three best players on the board are Earl Thomas, Pierre-Paul, and Taylor Mays. Pierre-Paul and Mays are athletic freaks with a high bust potential. As a result, we draft a ball-hawk who can step in right away -- Goldson moves to SS (he's a better fit there anyway).

We go for a third-tier OT in the second round. There should be good value at that point, but we may opt for Golden Tate and go OT in the third round.

1. STL - Clausen/Bradford
2. DET - Okung
3. TB - Suh
4. WAS - Clausen/Bradford
5. KC - Bulaga
6. SEA - McCoy (DT)
7. CLE - Berry
8. OAK - Campbell
9. BUF - Williams (OT)
10. JAX - Dez Bryant
11. DEN - McClain
12. MIA - Williams (NT)
13. SF - Haden
14. SEA - Spiller
15. NYG - Derrick Morgan
16. TEN - Brian Price
17. SF - Earl Thomas
Why the hell does everyone want Joe Haden?

CB is so far down our list of needs, and he's not even that good.
Watch out - You are going to be destroyed with two not very popular picks ;)
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

Haden is a stud who ran with a back injury @ the combine. If he falls to us he's a steal.

And CB is a huge need -- look at the mess we had a CB opposite Spencer last year. Haden will play nickel for a year and push clements for his job.
  • oklasooners
  • Info N/A
haden is over rated. scott m said he wanted size and speed in a atricle. forget hayden. they will pass on him guaranteed
Originally posted by stever:

Yep -- Best player available tho...and I think Haden is a steal at 13.

Who else do you take at 17? Reach for a tackle?
Originally posted by nickbradley:

It's not my oppinion, just not very popular.

I had Haden in my last mock at #13, too. I prefer Mays over Thomas, and i don't think we will go db with both 1st rounders, but i got my share of critical post for Haden only, so i knew what would happen :)

I had Haden in my last mock at #13, too. I prefer Mays over Thomas, and i don't think we will go db with both 1st rounders, but i got my share of critical post for Haden only, so i knew what would happen :)

I orginally had Mays going at 17 instead of Thomas, but I thought the 49ers would go for a more polished player.

I orginally had Mays going at 17 instead of Thomas, but I thought the 49ers would go for a more polished player.

The size mantra could be in favour for Mays. If they are looking for a Michael Lewis replacement they could directly replace him with Mays, or they could move Goldson over and pick Thomas. And finally, they could look at Thomas as a cornerback, but not if they draft Haden too.

Haden is a stud who ran with a back injury @ the combine. If he falls to us he's a steal.

And CB is a huge need -- look at the mess we had a CB opposite Spencer last year. Haden will play nickel for a year and push clements for his job.

What mess? Nate Clements got hurt, and everyone else played fine. If we had a decent pass rush, our secondary would be outstanding.

You have Derrick Morgan falling to us, but you pass him up for Joe Haden. I'd take Morgan over Haden in a heartbeat.

no to haden, i dont understand why everyone is on this guys nuts. we have clements or brown, we dont need to waste our first round picks on a cb
No soup for you..

What mess? Nate Clements got hurt, and everyone else played fine. If we had a decent pass rush, our secondary would be outstanding.

You have Derrick Morgan falling to us, but you pass him up for Joe Haden. I'd take Morgan over Haden in a heartbeat.

Spencer is the only good CB who was solid and consistent the entire season. Clements was 50/50 before the injury. Brown can't tackle, and he can't turn his hips well at all. Harris and Bly might not even be back with the team. Not to mention the secondary was torched last year. Haden is that good on top of that. CB is always a need in today's NFL.
Realize question is why does everyone want spiller when we have gore, but then use the argument that we should pass on Haden because CB is not a need....
  • 1love49erfan
  • Info N/A
This is my picks if the draft went like this:

STL:S.BRADFORD,QB
DET:R.OKUNG,LT
TB:D.SUH,NT
WASH:J.CLAUSEN,QB
KC:B.BULUGA,LT
SEA:G.MCOY,NT
CLE:E.BERRY,S
OAK:B.CAMPELL,LT
BUFF:T.WILLIAMS,OT