LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 342 users in the forums

TED Backers

Anybody have any realistic guys in mind that could be taken in the mid rounds? Were already a little thin at ILB so I could see a late round addition. Outside of Willis, Spikes, and McKillop I don't know who is a lock on the roster at this point.

One big bodied guy that caught my eye was Micah Johnson:
6'1"
258 lbs.
Kentucky

From Draft Scout

Read and React: Highly aggressive run defender. Can be beaten with effective play-action. Typically diagnoses run plays, showing the burst to slice through the line and stop the back for a loss. Feels blockers coming and protects himself from cuts. Sniffs out screens and draws. Rarely out of position against the run.

Pass defense: Only marginal straight-line speed and is stiff when asked to change direction in coverage. Shows at least adequate instincts for zone, but isn't a natural in this area.

Pass rush: Good size and strength to rush the passer. Typically relies on a simple bull rush, but can get under the pads of the blocker and push him into the pocket. Times his blitzes well and shows a closing burst when the ballcarrier is near.

Run defense: A decided strength in his game. Reads the action and shows a good initial burst to slice through the gap and close to make the tackle at or near the line of scrimmage. Good size and strength to take on and shed blockers, though he needs to be more consistent. Has a tendency to play too upright and can get locked up by blockers, but has good strength to disengage when he keeps his pad level low. Flashes the strength to pull down the ballcarrier with arm tackles while engaged with blockers. At his best playing in the box, as he has only moderate speed to beat the back to the sideline. Protects his knees from the cut block by sprawling and keeping his head on a swivel.

Tackling: Typically a strong, secure tackler in tight quarters and in space. Forceful hitter who has shown the ability to force fumbles, but could do a better job of wrapping up securely, as he'll launch himself into the ballcarrier (but also the potential to miss tackles). At least moderate lateral quickness and balance to break down in space and make the reliable open-field tackle on elusive ballcarriers. Good hustle laterally and downfield to make the play.

Intangibles: Has had multiple knee injuries, including one that required arthroscopic surgery in 2007 and twice losing time in 2009 to MCL injuries. Suffered his latest MCL injury in the final moments of the loss to Clemson in the Music City Bowl. The knee injuries will require a Combine check and might keep Johnson from participating in workouts prior to the draft. Suspended in the spring of 2007 due to academics.

From NFL.com

Johnson possesses a great combination of size, strength and toughness necessary to play linebacker at the next level. Is a highly competitive player who loves being in a phone booth and can really lay a hit. Is a really experienced talent who’s been productive. Is very instinctive against the run. Versatile player who could end up inside or on the strong side in a 3-4.

He really lacks great pure speed. Has limited range and isn’t really a sideline-to-sideline tackler. Isn’t overly comfortable in man or zone pass coverage. His ability to be an every down player is questionable because of his coverage shortcomings, but he can rush the passer.

Only obvious knock on this kid is the injury bug....he has had some knee issues the past few years. But as a late round pick 5-7, if he can stay healthy.....?

There is a couple of other guys who should be on the Niners radar in the later rounds at TED:

Donald Butler ILB Washington
Joe Pawelek Baylor
Pat Angerer Iowa
Jamar Cheney Miss St
If Brandon Spikes falls to us in the second round, I would be sorely tempted, even though there are CB, S, and OL picks that are greater needs.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Roddrick Muckelroy, LB, Texas
I like Sean Weatherspoon; that guy is a beast and he can play MIKE, TED or the Whip. I think he will be long gone by the 2nd round though. Maybe if the Niners trade back. His versatility and raw athleticism are great; not to mention that he is a talker and seems like he would be willing to be a leader, where Willis is having issues excelling at.
I like the Micah Johnson guy from Kentucky.
I think nfl network said Micah Johnson ran a 4.99. Is he still injured? That's way too slow.
Originally posted by mebemused:
If Brandon Spikes falls to us in the second round, I would be sorely tempted, even though there are CB, S, and OL picks that are greater needs.

The thing about that is that every year there seams to be that inside 'backer that slips to the 2nd rd. With more pressing needs this year, I think we can wait until next year for that. Now if we can find someone in rounds 5-7 than that's better.
Originally posted by calikid49:
Originally posted by mebemused:

The thing about that is that every year there seams to be that inside 'backer that slips to the 2nd rd. With more pressing needs this year, I think we can wait until next year for that. Now if we can find someone in rounds 5-7 than that's better.

See my above post.
Share 49ersWebzone