LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 251 users in the forums

Trent Williams vs Gosder Cherilus

When I hear that Trent Williams excelled at RT but struggled at LT, it makes me think of former first rounder Gosder Cherilus who has been a disappointment.

I'm interested to hear some of our resident draft experts weigh in on their opinion of Williams vs Cherilus.

Thanks in advance.
That's interesting... I remember that the zone was pretty high on Gosder as well.
Originally posted by amigoj49:
That's interesting... I remember that the zone was pretty high on Gosder as well.

There were also more than a few that were scared to death of him.
Any body?
I thought Cherilus was a wreck at times in college, and I graded him as a third round prospect going into the draft. So, when he was drafted in the first round, even though I thought he would be drafted somewhere close to that area, I believed it was a terrible reach.

Trent Williams is a LOT better player, and worthy of a first round pick. To me, he is the best run blocking OT in the draft, but has some deficiencies at LT in pass protection. However, as a RT, I think he would fit in quite well overall for the team.
To me, I grade Iupati better as an OL, but if there is a run on OT, and Williams is on the board at 13, the team may have to make the pick. I've got him projected to the Seahawks at 14 right now.
Not bad, I do think Williams is a "boom or bust" type prospect and I am not crazy about taking him with either of our 1st rd picks.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I thought Cherilus was a wreck at times in college, and I graded him as a third round prospect going into the draft. So, when he was drafted in the first round, even though I thought he would be drafted somewhere close to that area, I believed it was a terrible reach.

Trent Williams is a LOT better player, and worthy of a first round pick. To me, he is the best run blocking OT in the draft, but has some deficiencies at LT in pass protection. However, as a RT, I think he would fit in quite well overall for the team.
To me, I grade Iupati better as an OL, but if there is a run on OT, and Williams is on the board at 13, the team may have to make the pick. I've got him projected to the Seahawks at 14 right now.

Thanks, MadDog. That's good to hear. We need a RT. If he can be a good RT in the NFL, I'm all for taking him. I'm usually not a fan of drafting for need, but RT is such a big one that if we can get a good player that can man the position for a long time, it's worth it.

Question, do you like the idea of Iupati at RT? He's got the size and arm length. As well as the athleticism.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:

Thanks, MadDog. That's good to hear. We need a RT. If he can be a good RT in the NFL, I'm all for taking him. I'm usually not a fan of drafting for need, but RT is such a big one that if we can get a good player that can man the position for a long time, it's worth it.

Agree. I wouldn't be mad if we took him & plugged him in at RT.
We just need to get the guy.

He fits our team like a glove at our annual position of great need.

Our team is not going to be a young team forever, we need to shore up the darn RT position with Trent Williams now, because if we improve our record any more in a horribly weak NFC West next season, we might not got another shot at a top tackle for a while. And free agency is a huge question mark for the foreseeable future.

He's not perfect, but he's as close to perfect for us as we're going to find.

13 Williams (unless someone falls)
17 BPA

We plug a major hole and pick up some more firepower with the other pick. Sounds good to me.

Share 49ersWebzone