There are 130 users in the forums

My first Mock Draft

I have seen so many mocks of us taking spiller, williams, ducasse with our first 3 picks that I decided to mix it up a bit. My mock has us taking none of those players, not because I don't think that they would help, just because I belive that Williams will not be there at 17 and that spiller, thought a great player helping our run game and special teams, canbe filled with cheaper picks.

1A Anthony Davis OT Rutgers
I Believe that he falls to us as AL Davis falls in love with JPP's athleticism and the bills draft Bruce Campbell. Anthony Davis is a Run Blocking beast and would anchor our right side for years to come.
1B Brandon Graham OLB/DE Michigan
Graham does not have the elite speed or first step of other prospects like JPP or Hughes, yet Graham is the best all around OLB. He playes the run WAY better that those two and knows how to use his hands and use leverage. Rush OLBs take time to develop as it is almost all technique, which is why we should draft one now. That way, when we are ready to truly ready to compete deep in the playoffs (2-4 years), Graham will be an fully develope and an elite pass rusher.
2 Dexter McCluster RB/WR/KR Ole Miss
Although I am not as high on him as some people on this board, you cannot denny his game changing speed, ability to catch passes out of the back feild, and the boost he will give us in the return game. Hmm... sounds like anyone else we may be targeting? But seriously, Spiller is WAY better than McCluster, however not as good a value. I'd rather have value anyday.
3 Reshad Jones SS Georgia
Reshad Jones is a do-it-all saftey that we could have replace Micheal Lewis in a year or two, or he could even start today. Reshad may not have the elite athleticism that Taylor Mays and Chad Jones have, yet he can lay the wood on reciever, takes good angles while takleing, has pretty good ball skills (he's no Eric Berry, but 5 INTs as a sophomore ain't too shabby) and can read the QB and see where he wants to go. An alternative is Darrell Stuckey who whould also help out our weak secondary.
4 Ciron Black OL LSU
Gives as versatility and depth on the O-line as Black possesses the size and skills to play either gaurd position or RT. He is also a powerful run blocker.
5 Micah Johnson ILB Kentuky
Micah is an explosive player in the middle with great potential whoes stock was hurt by a knee injury. He could be a player that spikes mentors to play alongside willis as our future MLBs.
6 Jeffery Fitzgerald DE Kansas State
Fitzgerald st out the 08 season due to a transfer form Virginia to Kansas State and has lost a lot of hype due to that. The guy is an impressive DE who finished with 7 sacks at 6-4 280. This is added depth at DE as who can maybe take over in a few year for Justin Smith and be what Kentwan Balmer was supposed to be.
7 O'Brien Schofield OLB Wisconsin
A guy with lots to show, yet a torn ALC kept him of the Senior Bowl. This is just a value pick. If the guy ever recovers from the surgery (and can still play at a competative level) then he will help out as a 3rd down pass rusher.

In my humble opinion this draft fills our needs better than the cliche Spiller Williams mocks and get us better value at those positions. With this draft, although it does not give us as much of an emidiate impact (Spiller and Willimas are much more NFL ready than McCluster and Davis), this sets us up to GROW for the future and compete for a chance at the NFC division game. But then again, thats just my opinion.
excellent draft
u filled all our needs
Would like Davis & Graham as first two picks.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
excellent draft
u filled all our needs
love it.
Looks good but do we need to go ILB with our 5th? Are we sure McKillop won't be the answer?

[ Edited by btak49 on Feb 23, 2010 at 20:32:16 ]
Pretty good. I'd like to see a corner in there somewhere though. A great year for corners and ours are older than dirt.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Good job, this one I really like, I wouldn't be disapointed at all with any of those picks.
Originally posted by dbdublin:
Pretty good. I'd like to see a corner in there somewhere though. A great year for corners and ours are older than dirt.
Agreed on the draft but this is a good point
Originally posted by Shifter:
Originally posted by dbdublin:
Agreed on the draft but this is a good point

I agree, and I really wanted to pick a corner, yet I could not find a spot to pick a corner that would be an improvment over our current corners without taking away majorly from another area of need. I like Donovan Warren, and if he fell to our 2nd rounder I'd take him, but I doubt he will as I belive Minnesota scoops him up late in round 1. After Joe Haden, Kyle Wilson and Warren, there is no one that really jumps out at me. I mean Branon Ghee had a great senior bowl, and many here on the forum are high on Perrish Cox, but I think they are both very raw and don't know how quick they will transition to the pro game. Also, I think we need an injection on both special teams and offense, as our offense has lacked consistency (we go from 3 touchdown quarters to 6 points halves against the lions), and I know Cox can return kicks, but is he a real improvment? Anyway, I do like Ghee alot, and he does have the speed, athleticism and physicality you like to see in a corner, but not sure if A) he will still be there when we pick and B) how good his ball skills are. I mean, he only has 1 interception IN HIS CAREER!
Meanwhile Perish Cox is a bigger corner (which I like for our style of play) how has returned punts and has great athleticism and ball skills and speed (10 ints in his carrer). However, does he is even more raw in coverage than Ghee and has almost no experince in man coverage. This is a huge concer for me because without the right system (Tampa 2) zone corners can find it hard to succeed (Rhonde Barber and Aqib Talib whould not have as good stats if not for their system). Without a potential "shutdown corner" availible, i'll just sit tight with our current corners and hope we find our answer next year through the draft, trade or FA.

Actually on second though, I might take a risk on Brandon Ghee. Although he has an absolute lack of ball skills, he is actually a very good shutdown corner and has the speed to be a diffrence maker in the return game. But again doubt he'll be availible (detroit snags him is my best guess. They need serious help on that side of the ball, and they have the time to let him develop).

Originally posted by btak49:
Looks good but do we need to go ILB with our 5th? Are we sure McKillop won't be the answer?

McKillop is a tackeling machine, yet does not possess the skills to be a truley game changing MLB. He is a great special teamer and a sure tackeler, yet cannot blitz, cover, hit hard, or intercept a pass over the middle. He tackles. Thats it. But he is very good at what he does. Plus I do not believe a 5th round pick is too much of an investent to spend on a MLB with potential to start. If there were someone who could fall to us who would be either more valuable or fill a greater need (such as Demaryius Thomas, whoes broken leg should lower his stock), then I would pick them instead.

On a side not, I know many people are not to high on Demaryius Thomas (bad hands, no route running, not great speed or acceleraction), but he is a big bodied reciever that can make acrobatic catches with mid air adjustments. He is also a great option in the run game and screen pass and would add depth and size to our quickly improving recieving core (Crabtree, Davis, Morgan *McCluster*, *Thomas*)
While I'd have no problem w/Davis, he may not be the kind of OT Solari wants. I believe he's not as big on size as he is agility/mobility...and with the ability to execute zone blocking. Campbell, Bulaga and Charles Brown possess those abilities, therefore I think they'd be better picks for what Solari wants to do.

Graham is one of the top pass rushers in the draft, no argument there. However, is he really the BPA at #16/17? I think if Spiller's there at #13, Singletary will take him. You say McCluster has more value? I don't think so...Spiller has both the ST and backfield speed to be a HR hitter. And, he's got the body to succeed in the NFL...I love McCluster, but realistically, which of those two players stands to make the most meaningful, lasting impact...I think it has to be Spiller.

Instead of McCluster, 2nd rd would be a great spot to grab one of the top CB's. Assuming Haden, Warren and Wilson are probably gone, Perrish Cox would be an excellent pick there. He's a good cover CB, tackles exceptionally well and also has very good KR abilities.

3rd rd would be about the right spot to get the OG Singletary wants...Mike Johnson would be my first choice, because he played both OG and OT for Nick Saban at a national championship level.

In 4th, with OT and OG already addressed, it's a good spot to go after a WR, OLB, DL.

5-7 rd picks should some combination of LB, OL, DL, secondary depth.

I'm not saying your mock isn't a good one...it is, I just think Singletary/Mac will not risk taking a pass rusher that early. There have been too many busts in recent years. They will address OT and other skill positions, like RB and CB early. At least that's my take...we'll see what happens.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
While I'd have no problem w/Davis, he may not be the kind of OT Solari wants. I believe he's not as big on size as he is agility/mobility...and with the ability to execute zone blocking. Campbell, Bulaga and Charles Brown possess those abilities, therefore I think they'd be better picks for what Solari wants to do.

Graham is one of the top pass rushers in the draft, no argument there. However, is he really the BPA at #16/17? I think if Spiller's there at #13, Singletary will take him. You say McCluster has more value? I don't think so...Spiller has both the ST and backfield speed to be a HR hitter. And, he's got the body to succeed in the NFL...I love McCluster, but realistically, which of those two players stands to make the most meaningful, lasting impact...I think it has to be Spiller.

Instead of McCluster, 2nd rd would be a great spot to grab one of the top CB's. Assuming Haden, Warren and Wilson are probably gone, Perrish Cox would be an excellent pick there. He's a good cover CB, tackles exceptionally well and also has very good KR abilities.

3rd rd would be about the right spot to get the OG Singletary wants...Mike Johnson would be my first choice, because he played both OG and OT for Nick Saban at a national championship level.

In 4th, with OT and OG already addressed, it's a good spot to go after a WR, OLB, DL.

5-7 rd picks should some combination of LB, OL, DL, secondary depth.

I'm not saying your mock isn't a good one...it is, I just think Singletary/Mac will not risk taking a pass rusher that early. There have been too many busts in recent years. They will address OT and other skill positions, like RB and CB early. At least that's my take...we'll see what happens.

Charles Brown? You mean the sub 300 finesse Left Tackle who whould excel in Green Bay with his elite pass blocking yet very weak run blocking? You think HE would do better on Mike Singletary's rough, powerful O-Line at Right Tackle where his main responsibility would be to run block. No dis to Brown, the guy can play, just not in the gold and red. he doesn't fit at all what we are looking for. Otherwise, Bruce Campbell will be long gone (he would have to go by Washington, Oakland and Buffalo to get to us), but I would definatly rather have him, and Buluaga who I do not like that much. To me, he is a por mans Joe Staley (he is form Iowa, a school known for producing some of the highest quality collegate players, yet have no room to get better as they are already at their best). I belive right now, Davis is better, fits our system better, would look better on the right side, and has more potential than Bulaga. But thats just my honest opinion.

Next, Graham is BPA at 17 as if he is not taken he will undoubtably go by the 20th as the falcons need help across form John Abraham. As well, Spiller will not be there at 17 as Seattle will probably pick him seeing as they badly need a running back. And I would rather have Davis at 13 than Spiller, therefore BPA.

Next, I have been thinking, and I would be okay with switching McCluster with a CB, however that CB would be Brandon Ghee. Although he has NO ball skills (which I hate in a corner), he is truly a shut down corner, possesing the size speed and skills to play man, zone or press against any reciever. Perrish Cox on the other hand, has ball skills and is bigger (and bigger is better), oh and can return punts, yet has no experience in man and is purely a zone corner, perfect for a Tampa 2 defense (not us).

Lastly, Mike Johnson is going in the very begining of round 3 (or earlier), but even if he lasted to the 49ers, I'd still rather have Ciron Black in the 4th. Why? because of the value he offers. He can play anywhere along the offensive line (LT he will have some difficulty due to heavy legs, but will do in a pinch) and is a great run blocker. Rather than having a really good LG in the third, I'd rather have a very good G who can be moved around in case of injury (more depth). Oh and i'd rather have Reshad Jones (or Darrell Stuckey, if Jones is gone, which I doubt) in the third as they have great potential and would make an imediate impact in our secondary as Michael Lewis is one collision away form ending his career.

I agree with your point about both Spiller and the cornerback(definitely don't agree about picking Brown as he would be a HUGE reach and fills no need), yet I belive that those picks do not offer as much value. Both Spiller and McCluster are not every down backs. Both have game changing speed. Both can catch out of the backfield and even be prought out in the slot. Both can return punts and kicks. Yet Spiller would be taken 36 spots before McCluster. Hands down Spiller is the better player, and if he were gonna be availabe at 17, I think the 9ers should take him. But you are also missing the point of my draft. Read the very first line. It read:
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:
I have seen so many mocks of us taking spiller, williams, ducasse with our first 3 picks that I decided to mix it up a bit. My mock has us taking none of those players, not because I don't think that they would help, just because I belive that Williams will not be there at 17 and that spiller, thought a great player helping our run game and special teams, can be filled with cheaper picks.

My "challenge" was to mock without picking any of the cliche 9er picks. That is why I didn't take Spiller.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
You won't here a peep from me regarding this draft. You addressed our needs in the right order. Graham is icing on the top.

Great first try!
Share 49ersWebzone