LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

If we draft McClain...

• Walsh
  • Veteran
Can we put P Willis on the edge on 3rd and long? Cuz I could watch him hit QB's all day long.

Discuss;)
  • flow
  • Veteran
trade willis?

• Walsh
  • Veteran
I'm only half joking. No reason why we can't move P Willy around to the outside if we have McClain doing a great job holding down the center on long passing downs. I mean, I hope we get someone other than McClain but we might end up with him. He looks like a real solid middle linebacker. Why not have Willis screaming towards the QBs blind side? The guy runs like a receiver!
We would have a hard hitting smart tandem for the next couple of years
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by kstolai:
We would have a hard hitting smart tandem for the next couple of years

If we're even playing after this year.
McClain's a good pass rusher himself. We'd truly have 4 linebackers that could rush thus causing mass confusion for the opposing teams OL. If McClain is there we should take a hard look.
Originally posted by eastbay49er:
Originally posted by miked1978:
McClain's a good pass rusher himself. We'd truly have 4 linebackers that could rush thus causing mass confusion for the opposing teams OL. If McClain is there we should take a hard look.

• Walsh
  • Veteran
McClain looks like a good run stuffer but didn't look like much of a rusher to me from the clips I've seen. I know that he doesn't have the speed of Willis for sure.
If we do, I'll be pretty upset.

I could see him falling. I caught most of Alabama's games this season and I just didn't see the pursuit skills that previous 1st rounders had. Guys like Willis and Mayo have DB-like speed and quickness. Articles have said that McClain will run around a 4.5-4.55, but he doesn't seem to play that fast. He has excellent size for a TED/ILB, but many scouts are expressing concerns about his ability to take/shed blockers. While he may have all the intangibles that teams crave, I'm not on the bandwagon and I think there will better players on the board when we pick.
Originally posted by Walsh:
McClain looks like a good run stuffer but didn't look like much of a rusher to me from the clips I've seen. I know that he doesn't have the speed of Willis for sure.

I saw some video of McClain playing, and his weak tackling concerns me. He was getting dragged for yards by college running backs. Imagine what Adrian Peterson or Steven Jackson would do to him.
i'd rather we take a chance on micah johnson in the 5th for our TED of the future
Share 49ersWebzone