LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

Mock Version 2.0

Love Spiller...but if Singletary wants to get his OT in the 1st round, that won't be Iupati. His best position is OG...also a position of need, but Mac simply isn't going to draft an OG in the 1st rd. Don't believe everything Mayock says! Yes, Iupati's a beast, but he's not the OT we need! What matters is what Mike Solari thinks and believes...that will be who Singletary listens to. He'll want to draft the best OT on the board, but also a guy who can zone block, is quick, agile and very mobile. I realize Iupati's got some of those attributes, but the BL is he's not the best OT available at that spot. Coach may be able to choose from among Bulaga, Campbell and Charles Brown. Those guys are better OT choices.

I really like Kyle Wilson...but I don't see him lasting 'til mid 2nd rd. A guy that could be there is Perrish Cox..also an excellent CB with very good cover and tackling skills. Like Wilson, he's also an adept KR.

In the 3rd rd, now you're in OG territory...Mike Johnson's a great fit, played both OG and OT for Saban and can zone block.

4th rd, good spot for OLB, DL, WR.

5-7, depth among OL, DL, LB, secondary.
Originally posted by ninertico:

49 SF K. Wilson, CB—Allows us to upgrade secondary and can play ST

No way in hell Wilson last this long. He is going first round or MAYBE beging of the second, but thats the latest. This kid has flown up draft boards after his Senior Bowl performance, and the combine and pro day will only help his stock. Sorry, just not realistic. Maybe we could get Perrish Cox or Brandon Ghee (who is also on the rise), but no way for Wilson.
PS i'd rather have Ghee, who is a shut down corner with size and speed, while Cox is a Zone Corner with ball skills and return ability. From a pure coverage perspective, Ghee is hands down better, though Cox does offer lots of value with his ability to return kicks (though that value is deminished due to the fact that spiller would return most kicks and punts)
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:

49 SF K. Wilson, CB—Allows us to upgrade secondary and can play ST

No way in hell Wilson last this long. He is going first round or MAYBE beging of the second, but thats the latest. This kid has flown up draft boards after his Senior Bowl performance, and the combine and pro day will only help his stock. Sorry, just not realistic. Maybe we could get Perrish Cox or Brandon Ghee (who is also on the rise), but no way for Wilson.
PS i'd rather have Ghee, who is a shut down corner with size and speed, while Cox is a Zone Corner with ball skills and return ability. From a pure coverage perspective, Ghee is hands down better, though Cox does offer lots of value with his ability to return kicks (though that value is deminished due to the fact that spiller would return most kicks and punts)

This was my first attempt on page one:
Round 1 CJ. Spiller
Round 1 M. Iupati
Round 2 K. Wilson
Round 3 K. Calloway, OT—We land our starting RT here, what value!
Round 4 K. Chancellor, SS—Will be our next M. Lewis, will play ST
Round 5 B. Carter, OG—Someone to mold and provide great depth—I like this kid
Round 6 B. Sharpe, DE/OLB—Depth and ST
Round 7 K. Weston, NT—Depth and development

And this was my "bump" to show my revision of the above mock on page two:

13 CJ Spiller, RB—Same
This pick stays the same as my original for now. The other picks here could be Haden, Bulaga, and McClain if they fall. Spiller is the TD maker, not playmaker. When did we have one of those? Someone who could take it to the house each time they touch it. He’s so elusive, quick and fast while being able to stop on a dime and make players miss. He can play RB/WR/KR/PR where the last two gives us so many advantages with field position, a ploy Coach S loves to use.

16/17 M. Iupati, OT/OG—Same
This pick also stays the same. He will be viewed as a versatile OL who can play G and T. Right now, he’s slated as an OL. When camp begins, Solari and Brown will know where to place him. He’s a mauler with great feet and long arms with strong hands, perfect for the mix-scheme with Zone we will use. He’s the best OL on the board so far more talented than any OL in the next rounds. At best, he becomes our RT and plays well there. At worse, he stays at LOG and becomes a Pro-Bowler. I like those odds. Yes, I am exaggerating. Others at this point: T. Williams, B. Graham, or D. Williams.

2nd Round D. McCourty, CB—Different
Kyle Wilson will be long gone by then as he’s moving quickly up the boards. Now, I still think this pick will be for the secondary who can contribute immediately in ST so McCourty it is. He’s a ST gunner and can immediately fight for the nickle and dime packages. He may not even be here when we pick, but we would definitely be sitting pretty in ST if he is. Others here: C. Jones, J. Hughes, B. Cox, K. Jackson, V. Ducasse, R. Sapp, and even Mt. Cody.

Round 3 K. Calloway, OT—Same
I think this round we land our starting RT because we will have some to choose from in Calloway, Veldheer, Saffold and maybe Fox. I remember so many mentioning and believing that the first round OTs are for LTs and not RTs. That depends on who you talk to. We land a pro-bowl caliber OG and now take an experienced RT who happens to play in the Zone scheme at Iowa. Wow, two OLs who are maulers with great feet to handle the movement of Zone, BONUS!!!! Solari and Brown are going to be besides themselves!

Round 4 K. Chancellor, SS—Same
Man, this draft is full of BIG safeties! I loved the way he played in the Shrine game and he had some hits that made you say “Wooooooooooo!” He would be able to learn from Lewis and immediately impact the STs. He also played ST at V. Tech. Again, McC gets great value and keeps getting bigger! He loves his fourth round safeties.

Round 5 B. Carter, OG—Same
- EAST-WEST SHRINE RISERS: OG Brandon Carter, Texas Tech: His 6-5, 326-pound is formidable, as are his all-over body tattoos, but Carter's strength and relatively quick feet (for his size) were as good live as they appeared on film. His strong punch off the snap will impress offensive line coaches, and he is able to get out to the second level.--Rob Lang Another mauler with quick feet. See a pattern? Again, McC goes super size and it gives us incredible depth while allowing Baas to walk next year. See ya! Oh, did I say he handle Suh during the season, too?

Round 6 B. Sharpe, DE/OLB—Same
Another tweener flying under the radar. Well, that’s because he’s a one-year wonder. He replaced Brandon Williams and did well as a JUCO transfer. He will provide some more bodies for ST and if he can’t cut it, he will go to PS for more development.

Round 7 T. Ivey, DT/NT—Different
Here we land a developmental player at NT at 340, 6’-4”. He will become a PS player with the intention to bring him up slowly. Eh, it’s the seventh round for Pete’s sake.

Whatcha think?

I know that Wilson is going into the first, but before the SB we all thought that he was a good second rounder. That is why I changed it to McCourty who I think can actually go before we pick at #49. The one DB I am intrigued with is Chad Jones, the huge S from LSU. He may be there when we pick.

Thanks for the feedback though...

And Corva, I disagree with you on Iupati, but I completely see your point of view. I just believe that talent, irregardless of position, will be the order of the day. Yes, McC has said that OGs can be had later, but Iupati is special...again, IMO. I am no scout by any means, but I respect Mayock's views more than many other pundits.

My opinion stems from my own eyes. After watching games of Bulaga, Williams, Davis and Okung especially at the SB practices, Iupati ranks right up there with them hence the mid-round grade from many.

I am just one who was wowed by his size, strength and mobility. More than one scout believes that he can be versatile not only in position, but also scheme.

Any of these OL prospects in the first would satisfy my taste: Okung, Davis, Bulaga, T. Williams, and Iupati. I don't like Campbell, too raw to make an immediate successful and dominant impact and I don't like the OT from USC.

JMTC...thanks for the feedback, too!
It might interest some of you (or not) that between Trent Williams, Bulaga, Campbell and Brown (not counting Okung, as he'll be long gone), only the latter three have LT abilities. Williams' experience there wasn't good...he's simply too slow. Campbell's the most athletic...with Brown a fairly close second. I really don't get all the Iupati hype...yes, he's big, athletic, etc. but OG is his best position. Are you truly advocating he be the first OL we draft? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me...not when there are some very good "true" OT's to be had and the fact they can get a very good OG in the 3rd rd. Any OT taken should have the ability to play both positions...if he doesn't, he's not a good 1st round pick, it's that simple. I don't see Iupati worthy of such a high pick...maybe I'm missing something, I don't know. I just can't see spending a #16/17 pick on an OG that might be able to transition to OT at some point. That's a risk, and 1st rd picks should be closer to "can't miss". Besides, we all know how Mac feels about OG's...the pick will be best OT on the board and BPA, which could go 3-4 different directions.
Share 49ersWebzone