LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

Strong Safety Options???

I believe that the 9ers need to bring in a SS option. Even if they bring back Michael
Here's the names that I can see being options right now:

1) Taylor Mays: 6-3 231 4.47
2) Chad Jones: 6-3 220 4.55
3) Kam Chancellor: 6-3 232 4.58
4) Barry Church: 6-2 220 4.56
5) Myrone Rolle: 6-2 217 4.59

What round do these guys project to go in? How would they fit in Manusky's scheme? Realistically, I personally don't see the Niners grabbing Mays unless he falls to the middle of the 2nd (unlikely), so I think one of the other guys are more realistic as a target.
My choice is for Chad Jones.
  • JD81
  • Veteran
I have a strong feeling Dashon Goldson will be moved to Strong Safety....he plays well close to the line of scrimmage, and is a heavy hitter.....I am almost positive we will sign O.J. Atowgwe from the Rams and have him at FS.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I like Rolle, for both value and player. He was a good player and to be that smart opens up a lot, wearing the green dot, lining up the defense. Just a great all around asset.
Originally posted by JD81:
I have a strong feeling Dashon Goldson will be moved to Strong Safety....he plays well close to the line of scrimmage, and is a heavy hitter.....I am almost positive we will sign O.J. Atowgwe from the Rams and have him at FS.

That would be nice. Then draft another FS to learn from O.J.

Really? I just don't see it. I obviously value SS's with a little bit more size, but I think Goldson is good at FS. He was showing some serious play making ability at the end of the year. Put him next to a heavy hitting SS, and receivers are going to think twice about stretching out for a pass across the middle for years.

• smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Butter:

Really? I just don't see it. I obviously value SS's with a little bit more size, but I think Goldson is good at FS. He was showing some serious play making ability at the end of the year. Put him next to a heavy hitting SS, and receivers are going to think twice about stretching out for a pass across the middle for years.

Dashon Goldson is average size for a SS (believe me, I've looked it up). I also think he'd make a great SS.
Originally posted by smileyman:

Dashon Goldson is average size for a SS (believe me, I've looked it up). I also think he'd make a great SS.

I'm thinking of a SS like Adrian Wilson, this year's Pro Bowler. However, if you look at someone like Brian Dawkins, I see your point. I guess it just depends on what the Niners want from their SS.

However, I absolutely agree that taking a wide body who can not play is never a good idea. In an extreme example, if the Niners were able to land Berry, I'd be fine with playing Goldson at the SS position. But at an even 200 lbs, I'd be concerned with Goldson's ability to hold up playing down in the box.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

It makes sense to move Goldson to SS. He is a bit weak as a FS ball-hawk, but would be excellent as a SS ball-hawk.

But more importantly, with our front 7, we don't need a mack truck at SS. With our DB troubles, our front 7 can handle the run and we need as many ball-hawk coverage men as possible.

well he is f**king sings daughter, so maybe he might come play for us

This would be great, and Kerry Rhodes would not a bad consolation prize either.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Where did you get this/that ?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Originally posted by valrod33:

Where did you get this/that ?

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-10-03/sports/17186563_1_tight-atogwe-career-interceptions
If were gonna go FA- then I'd get Atogwe or Rhodes, thus moving Goldson to SS... If were gonna go Draft- I'd take Rolle .
Share 49ersWebzone