LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 165 users in the forums

Building the OL. Which way is the right way ?

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo63:
How many good OL are sitting on rosters not doing anything just waiting for an opportunity to play? All through out the league, teams have nothing but 4th/5th/6th rounders starting on their O lines. It just proves that you can find a good OL throughout the draft not just the first or second rounds.

Case in point : Jermon Bushrod the Saints LT this year who filled in pretty nicely for Jammal Brown this year. He played most of the snaps at LT for N.O. this year.

One has to wonder if Jammal Brown will be deemed expendable as there have been rumors in the past of moving him and now with Bushrod's play will they perhaps feel better about parting ways with their former 1st round pick.
One thing about offensive lineman is that they are the smartest guy son the field. They have a bit of a chip on there shoulders. A lot of guys drafted in the later rounds are more prone to take to coaching and listen thus giving them the intangibles that can make them a solid starter even though they don't have the physical tools. IMO this o line just needs better talent to go along with Solari. but that talent can be found everywhere which makes the fact that Scott hasn't drafted enough late round guy to see if they can be coached up.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Didn't NE have a mid to late round drafted O-line when they won their first Super Bowl??
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Didn't NE have a mid to late round drafted O-line when they won their first Super Bowl??

No.

LT Matt Light 2nd round
LG Mike Compton 3rd round pick (signed from Detroit)
C Damien Woody 1st round
RG Joe Andruzzi UDFA (Claimed off waivers from Packers)
RT Greg Robinson-Randall 4th round
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by KRS-1:

No.

LT Matt Light 2nd round
C Damien Woody 1st round

Still shows that the world isn't over if we don't select an O-lineman in the 1st round. And I really doubt we'll be drafting a C in the 1st.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:

No.

LT Matt Light 2nd round
C Damien Woody 1st round

Still shows that the world isn't over if we don't select an O-lineman in the 1st round. And I really doubt we'll be drafting a C in the 1st.

Well I would not be opposed. to drafting Pouncey if he is there in the 2nd or if we traded back to the 25-32 range. Can plug him at OG and let him compete for a job until Heitmann is done and then slide him over.

*Edit* Yes the sky will not fall if we did not draft any lineman in the early rounds but I would hope they draft at least one with the first 3 picks. If we don't draft one I wish you luck with the modding
[ Edited by KRS-1 on Jan 26, 2010 at 10:04 AM ]
Interesting post. What I find intriguing is the two extremes that you list there. Indy with the 2nd best passing offense, and very few sacks has the worst rushing offense. While the Jets have the best rushing offense, and the second to worst passing offense.

Does this mean that linemen tend to specialize and can be great pass blockers but really poor run blockers and vice versa? Does this mean that the other skill players have more affect on the line performance than what we may think? Is it simply a style of play difference between the two teams?

Depending on the answer to those questions, we should really look at what type of lineman we bring in, especially if we're going to draft one or two in the first round. It seems Sing prefers to be a strong run game with strong defense as our identity, if that's the case, which of those guys do we want? And if we take those guys for run blocking, how does that affect our passing game? Does it stay at the same level? Does it improve? Does it improve enough?

I think Smith would benefit more if we selected guys who were stronger in pass blocking. But then would we be sacrificing our identity of trying to be a strong running team?

If it's skill position affecting the line play or style of play differences, based on Sunday, it looks like the strong QB with the pass protecting line trumps the strong running on the team with the weak passing game. If that's the case, should we re-think our identity?

From the play I saw this year, no matter what our style is, or how good/bad our skill players are, we need to improve in both run blocking and pass blocking. Which may mean taking guys that may not be great at one or the other, but good at both. Which guys fit that description?
If it were up to me, I'd get a FA Guard (Dahl, Mankins, Latui, etc.) and I'd draft a RT. I'd then re-sign Pashos and let him and the rook fight it out. I'd let Baas walk or relegate him and Rachal to backups. Lastly, get a veteran Guard( Bobbie Williams ?) and have hm tutor/mentor Rachal. Have them rotate together and start Rachal in 2011..
This just shows me that off a cap gets done this offseason and Mankins becomes available we're fools for not bringing him in. Give me an example of bad money spent on guards? Faneca and the Jets. Davis and the Cowboys. Hutchinson and the Vikings. Works everytime.
Share 49ersWebzone