LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 417 users in the forums

FIRST THREE PICKS

Earl Thomas with the first pick
My top 3 picks are....

1st round pick Anthony Davis, OT

It's obvious watching the games over that the right side of the line needs help. I don't really think we need a new guard though. We have talent at guard just needs to be developed.

(2nd) 1st round pick Jerry Hughes, ROLB

This is another apparent obvious need. Though ahmad brooks has become a new potential pass rusher. Every great team has more then one....jerry hughes fits the bill!!!

2nd round pick Perrish Cox, Corner Back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma_n9K3stn8 2009 highlight reel

Two birds one stone anybody!? A solid cover corner with great punt and kickoff return ability. He's solid against the run which helps tremedously and he has solid cover speed and agressiveness to the ball in open space.

I think we can really fix many of the glaring needs of the 49ers this offseason. The only one that time will tell is the qb position which will be the tell all of next season. Go niners!

[ Edited by thaakingd on Jan 9, 2010 at 13:01:06 ]
Originally posted by GORO:
#13 Earl Thomas S Texas

# 16 Brian Buluga OT Iowa

# 49 A.J. Shipley WR Texas

Most of us want to draft an OT at #13 but with Earl Thomas available, the Niners would be wise to select him and then select the next OT left on the board at #16 or #17. Shipley gives us another young Wr, but he can return kicks while he works his way up the depth chart.

And when we go 7-9 next season, do we keep the coaching staff>
  • obx49
  • Veteran
1. Trent Williams (Fills a huge need and solidifies our OL)
1. C.J. Spiller (We need as much talent on the offensive side of the ball that we can get and would be the BPA at that point of the draft)
2. Javier Arenas (Fills two immediate needs)

Our offense and ST struggled and we need an infusion of talent in those two areas...BIG TIME.
  • fip24
  • Veteran
Tebow
Spiller
Any QB not named Bradford
You can pretty much guarantee Earl Thomas will NOT be a 49er.

McCloughan has an infatuation for big players especially in the 1st round which wouldn't shock me if they drafted Taylor Mays even though Thomas has been the more productive player. But I don't think safety is as high a need as CB.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Scout Inc. on ESPN has EARL THOMAS listed at #12.

While Mel Kiper said this in his 2010 DRAFT PREVIEW;

He is the complete package at the saftey position. In coverage he's like having another corner on the field. He does a great job of reading the quarterback and has terrific ball skill (6) interceptions. He's also a very good tackler and is at his best in big games.

In summary; This guy if available at #13 will be hard to pass up.

I don't like him that much and IMO the need for Safety is somewhat overstated on this board.

Our needs our these.

1) OT
2) OG
3) KR/PR
4) CB
5) WR - yes we could use another one alongside Crabtree. Crabtree is the only real threat out there.
6) OLB - pass rusher. This is somewhat better with Brooks and Manny playing well this year. Better than I expected.
7) S - sure Safety is something we could look at. But Goldson and Lewis are more than capable for now.

What Josh Morgan is not a threat? I know he started slow the last few years but he has talent.
Originally posted by thaakingd:
My top 3 picks are....

It's obvious watching the games over that the right side of the line needs help. I don't really think we need a new guard though. We have talent at guard just needs to be developed.

This is another apparent obvious need. Though ahmad brooks has become a new potential pass rusher. Every great team has more then one....jerry hughes fits the bill!!!

Two birds one stone anybody!? A solid cover corner with great punt and kickoff return ability. He's solid against the run which helps tremedously and he has solid cover speed and agressiveness to the ball in open space.

I think we can really fix many of the glaring needs of the 49ers this offseason. The only one that time will tell is the qb position which will be the tell all of next season. Go niners!

Really beginning to like Perrish Cox. A big physical corner who can tackle, run & play the ball. His return ability make him even better & would bring immediate impact to the 49ers.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Scout Inc. on ESPN has EARL THOMAS listed at #12.

While Mel Kiper said this in his 2010 DRAFT PREVIEW;

He is the complete package at the saftey position. In coverage he's like having another corner on the field. He does a great job of reading the quarterback and has terrific ball skill (6) interceptions. He's also a very good tackler and is at his best in big games.

In summary; This guy if available at #13 will be hard to pass up.

I don't like him that much and IMO the need for Safety is somewhat overstated on this board.

Our needs our these.

1) OT
2) OG
3) KR/PR
4) CB
5) WR - yes we could use another one alongside Crabtree. Crabtree is the only real threat out there.
6) OLB - pass rusher. This is somewhat better with Brooks and Manny playing well this year. Better than I expected.
7) S - sure Safety is something we could look at. But Goldson and Lewis are more than capable for now.

You really think so SD? Safety not that important and more so than CB? Hmmmm...I think it is third in the list after OT and RS, IMO. Then, pass rusher or CB for depth. I believe it will be Clements, Spencer, Bly and Brown. If not, then I see your point if Clements leaves of course.

Still, I see where you are getting at.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by thaakingd:
My top 3 picks are....

Really beginning to like Perrish Cox. A big physical corner who can tackle, run & play the ball. His return ability make him even better & would bring immediate impact to the 49ers.

Really hard to tell from highlight videos, but here's my opinion for what it's worth:

Positives: Size, jumping ability, timing is good.

Negatives: Slow for a CB, average returning due to lack of speed and explosion. Also not a very physical tackler, misses some tackles.

#13 Earl Thomas S Texas

# 16 Brian Buluga OT Iowa

# 49 A.J. Shipley WR Texas

Most of us want to draft an OT at #13 but with Earl Thomas available, the Niners would be wise to select him and then select the next OT left on the board at #16 or #17. Shipley gives us another young Wr, but he can return kicks while he works his way up the depth chart.

You so wanted to take Sergio Kindle at #16 . . . DIDN'T YOU!

The only DB I'd want at #13 besides Berry is Haden . . . otherwise it's gotta be OT, offensive playmaker, pass rusher or heaven help-us a QB.
Sorry, but I hate these picks. Not anything wrong with these prospects, I just do not like the individual people or there style. Earl Thomas is too small, Bulaga is a terrible run blocker, and Shipley is mediocre.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:
Sorry, but I hate these picks. Not anything wrong with these prospects, I just do not like the individual people or there style. Earl Thomas is too small, Bulaga is a terrible run blocker, and Shipley is mediocre.

Earl Thomas is 5'10, 197 lbs.

Jarius Byrd is 5'10, 200 lbs

Nick Collins is 5'11, 207 lbs

Antoine Beathea is 5'11, 203lbs

IN other words Thoms is proto-typical size for a FS.

Bulaga is a great run blocker

Watch this video and tell me again that Bulaga isn't a great run blocker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx8FKLXUmHA

Shipley has great hands and great speed after the catch. He'd be a good pickup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdCcQh05tPk
Originally posted by fip24:
Tebow
Spiller

Wow. I hope this is a joke. I would hang myself if we did this.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by fip24:
Tebow
Spiller

Wow. I hope this is a joke. I would hang myself if we did this.

COSIGNED!!!!!

I think the original poster's mock is pretty good. I like both Thomas and Bulaga. The only thing I'd do different is with the 2nd rounder I'd maybe go with Hughes or Graham if they're there. Or maybe another OT like Jason Fox, or one of the OGs. SO I might go OLine there, or OLB. But I like Thomas and Bulaga a lot, We got Goldson and Lewis for coming up in run support. Thomas is the perfect cover guy and he is a ball hawk. The main reason he didn't do great in the National Championship game was that Bama hardly ever passed the ball. It's not like I'd hang myself if we picked Shipley though. He's a good reciever, contrary to popular belief. He can play. I don't understand why people don't think he can. He'd be a great #2 to Crabby, but he seems like a less talented Crabby IMO or like a Welker. He's a really good posession reciever, at the same time he can get deep on people. But mainly if we get a WR I think we need a guy like Emmanuel Sanders later on in the draft to stretch the field. Maybe go corner in the 2nd round with Kareem Jackson or Donovan Warren, but the guy I like the best is Brian Jackson from OK, OTC thinks we could get him in the 3rd.
Share 49ersWebzone