LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

offense to run and affect on draft

watching all these bowl games, i see almost all the teams are running out of the shotgun formation...as far as niners decision as to whether to run a shotgun formation or pro set, i would think that future niners qb draftees will have more experience in shotgun formation, so maybe niners should run more shotgun formations now, it looking to be the wave of the future
Originally posted by hofer36:
watching all these bowl games, i see almost all the teams are running out of the shotgun formation...as far as niners decision as to whether to run a shotgun formation or pro set, i would think that future niners qb draftees will have more experience in shotgun formation, so maybe niners should run more shotgun formations now, it looking to be the wave of the future

So you want the niners to use college offensive schemes and you think that will make this team better?

Oh and Alex Smith has just a tad bit of experience in shotgun offense.
i think that it was an ironic post...I hope it anyhow
dude.........................really? wtf?..............ca mon maaann no really are you serious?
Originally posted by genus49:

So you want the niners to use college offensive schemes and you think that will make this team better?

Thats what the Colts, Eagles and Pats do. They feature the shotgun spread as their base offense infact. Go watch some tape and you see Brady and Manning in the shotgun formation around 70% of the time when passing.

The Colts operate out of the shotgun nearly 48 percent of the time, less than only the Eagles, Patriots and Buccaneers. Teams are using the shotgun 50% of their total plays.

The only time we look good on offense. Is when we get in the shotgun spread it out and let it fly. I`m all for it!

[ Edited by MadMartz on Jan 8, 2010 at 01:17:03 ]
Originally posted by genus49:

i am not sure you get my point...probably my fault for not being clear, this was a bit hard to put in writing....this is not a pro alex smith post, though i am on rcord as being pro alex smith...this is not a run a college offense post...nfl teams like the colts and pats run shotgun offenses and they are not college offenses

the point im trying to make is that the qb who takes the snap under center in the college game is a dying breed, a dinosaur....most of these college teams run some offense where the qb takes the snap in shotgun formation...therefore, the qbs in the draft pool are, and will continue to be, less expereinced taking the ball from under center.....so do you take these guys and try to make them learn how to be comfortable taking the ball from center, or do you adapt to a colts/pats type offense? I dont now the answer, just throw it out as whati thought was an interesting question

and btw, nate davis at ball state ran almost exclusively the shotgun formation, so he would probably be more comfortable if niners went that route...if he has learning disability, reducing the demands on his making reads as he drops back probably would help him

but maybe you stay in standard pro set and make the qb learn to be comfortable in such a formation....alex smith did hit the 73 yard td pass to davis vs rams from under center, and as noted by the comentators, looked the safety off to the left before coming back to the right to hit davis (something many poster used to say he didnt/couldnt do)
More to the point, what type of OL's do we need to run an offense that can get some yards on 1st and second down so we're not always 3d and long and fail to convert any 3d downs.
Yup, and we could bring back Co-offensive coordinators in Mouse Davis and Chris Ault.
That way you could do the zone read for running and the run-and-shoot for passing.

Then you could just draft scat backs, and slot receivers and wouldn't have to worry about other teams drafting them.
I really wonder just who might make the most positive effect on the OL. I think we only need a moderate ORT to do well and I think the play of Rachal had a lot to do with the overall poor play of the right side. They just looked very disorganized last year. I have given my opinion as to taking Iupati in the first and picking a tackle later.
I think a very good guard will improve the running far more then a tackle. A tackle is mainly for pass blocking. I also think we should have 3 tightends next year if Singletary has his head out of his ass. I think coupled with a blocking tightend often, the blocking will be enough. The possibilities of trading down on both firsts and getting Iupati plus many lower picks for Pass rusher, DBs, and runningback makes much more sense. I think I would also draft two tackles before the fifth round and a center possibly the best center with maybe the third round. IMO trading down in small steps may gain us quite a few picks and in the past we found some gems by selecting some raw but potentially good players and numbers really benefit our odds. If we could trade down both firsts, even one or two pick steps, I think Walsh could parlay it into another 1986 draft. I think for instance trade firsts, and seconds to have six picks in the third and fourth rounds. After the third round much would be luck but if we had six picks in say the fourth we could clean up on a lot of sleepers. I do not mean trading all of the firsts and seconds but the superfluous after the trade downs. I think it depends on what values exist after the trade downs but I think we need more depth and having many picks could yield a bushel of players. Often in the past we drafted some superfluous players that yielded too many good players to keep but IMO we need to purge too much dead wood to not glean as many as we can.

Share 49ersWebzone