LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 160 users in the forums

32 team first round mock v 1.0

BTW, I like Norwood a lot, but teams looking for a pass rusher/OLB will look at Jerry Hughes, Brandon Graham and even Sergio Kindle (who has played standing up and with his hand down) before Norwood.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Haden isn't that impressive to you but he is the best CB of this draft class. He was like a blanket to a lot of receivers this season and has great speed. He also doesn't mind supporting against the run. Don't know exactly what it is about him you don't like, but the guy is a top 10 pick.

I've already posted some You Tube clips to highlight this. Here's another one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84on9OKrqe4

At 3:39 he gets beat on a crossing route.

At 7:03 he gets faked out of his cleats by a double move which leads to a Georgia TD.

Those were this year.

He got schooled by Brandon Lafell all game long last year--and his habits haven't improved any
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpLLlAGHGns

He gets beat really bad at 2:25 here. Major Wright bails him out.
At 6:00 he falls flat to his feet on a short and goal. Major Wright bails him out again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B795fAe1VKI

He's lucky he's got Major Wright back there to help out and that he's got a defensive line that can really bring the pressure.

I can dig up more clips of him making bad plays if you'd like.
Originally posted by smileyman:

Haden isn't that impressive to you but he is the best CB of this draft class. He was like a blanket to a lot of receivers this season and has great speed. He also doesn't mind supporting against the run. Don't know exactly what it is about him you don't like, but the guy is a top 10 pick.

At 7:03 he gets faked out of his cleats by a double move which leads to a Georgia TD.

Those were this year.

He got schooled by Brandon Lafell all game long last year--and his habits haven't improved any

At 6:00 he falls flat to his feet on a short and goal. Major Wright bails him out again.

He's lucky he's got Major Wright back there to help out and that he's got a defensive line that can really bring the pressure.

LOL, of course he has some bad plays, Who doesnt?

You seen to be the only one in the country who doesnt believe he is the best CB in this Draft

10. Jacksonville Jaguars--Earl Thomas [S] Texas
Surprisingly Jackonsville has a top 10 offensive line, though their pass protection leaves much to be desired. The team ranks 9th in the league in rushing (hello MJD), but 19th in passing. Their defense is awful though, particularly against the pass. I originally had them taking Tim Tebow for the tickets he can sell (and they might still go that way), but I think they upgrade their defense here. Earl Thomas will provide some much needed help in the secondary.

The Jaguars do not have a good OL, Garrard is tied 4th for most sacked with Cassel

MJD is just a beast but their OL still sucks ass
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by valrod33:

You seen to be the only one in the country who doesnt believe he is the best CB in this Draft

He has bad plays almost every single game he plays. He can't cover college WRs well, much less Pro receivers. He misses tackles in run support and is easily blocked. FFToolbox has him rated #31 on their board. Draftcountdown.com doesn't even have him in the 1st round. Prodrfaftparty.com has him ranked #23 overall. I'm not making up his downside--he's got real problems and has lots of help from a great safety and a strong defensive front.

Those were this year.

You seem to really dislike Joe Haden. First off, every CB makes a mistake. That's why the title "shutdown corner" is unrealistic. But Haden is a very good cover corner. The first video you listed, the first play where he gets "beat by a crossing route", how can you tell when the camera moves right when the catch is made. From what it looked, the defense was playing zone and not man. On the play where he gets "faked out of his cleats", so did the safety and this is mainly because Georgia's run game on that drive was pretty dominant.

No need to look at video from last year. He improved plenty this year, especially in man coverage. If you like looking up videos where he's getting schooled, how about you search videos where he's making plays. I guarantee you will find more of those. One more thing, it's difficult distinguishing who gets beat on the defense unless you have multiple angles. A lot of these video clips don't show too much. That means you don't know what kind of defense they're playing, man or zone.

Quote:

For this video, how does he make a mistake here? He made a great play on the ball that could've resulted to a touchdown. Major Wright was there to grab the tipped pass and pick it off. Because of Haden, that was an INT.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

Surprisingly Jackonsville has a top 10 offensive line, though their pass protection leaves much to be desired. The team ranks 9th in the league in rushing (hello MJD), but 19th in passing. Their defense is awful though, particularly against the pass. I originally had them taking Tim Tebow for the tickets he can sell (and they might still go that way), but I think they upgrade their defense here. Earl Thomas will provide some much needed help in the secondary.

The Jaguars do not have a good OL, Garrard is tied 4th for most sacked with Cassel

Football Outsiders ranks them 11th in the run (and that's not all on MJD). Their pass blocking is worse, but not bottom of the league bad--they're tied for 25th with 44 sacks.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Those were this year.

he already stated he was the best CB in this class. He just doesn't think he's a shut down corner.

I actually agree with him. Not as impressed as many. But still a good CB.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

Football Outsiders ranks them 11th in the run (and that's not all on MJD). Their pass blocking is worse, but not bottom of the league bad--they're tied for 25th with 44 sacks.

Jacksonville spent both their 1st & 2nd round picks on tackles last year. I'm willing to bet they will give those rookies another year before spending another 1st on an OT.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Love the two OL. Would cream my pants if this came true.

I would cream mayo's pants as well. Pretty much dream scenario. An O line to take us to 2020!

• smileyman
  • Info N/A

Quote:

For this video, how does he make a mistake here? He made a great play on the ball that could've resulted to a touchdown. Major Wright was there to grab the tipped pass and pick it off. Because of Haden, that was an INT.

Because he ended up on the ground with the WR still having a chance to get at the ball and no way for Haden to recover in time to stop him if Wright isn't there.

That's the biggest issue I have with Haden--the whole defense is so good that he doesn't play smart all the time relying on his safeties to come in and help out if he screws up. He won't always have that support in the pros.

He's susceptible to inside moves and to double moves and those will get him killed in the NFL.

He has bad plays almost every single game he plays. He can't cover college WRs well, much less Pro receivers. He misses tackles in run support and is easily blocked. FFToolbox has him rated #31 on their board. Draftcountdown.com doesn't even have him in the 1st round. Prodrfaftparty.com has him ranked #23 overall. I'm not making up his downside--he's got real problems and has lots of help from a great safety and a strong defensive front.

Draftcountdown has him going to the Niners with the 11th pick. Hasn't been updated since December 17th, but he's on the mock. The rankings on the site is of Senior players only.

Quote:

Because he ended up on the ground with the WR still having a chance to get at the ball and no way for Haden to recover in time to stop him if Wright isn't there.

That's the biggest issue I have with Haden--the whole defense is so good that he doesn't play smart all the time relying on his safeties to come in and help out if he screws up. He won't always have that support in the pros.

He's susceptible to inside moves and to double moves and those will get him killed in the NFL.

Well that's why you coach the guy up. He isn't gonna be perfect.

Quote:

They were less than 5 yards away from the endzone and the receiver runs a short slant towards the middle. The only way for Joe Haden to stop that is to make a break for the ball, which he did. The receiver he was covering was big enough to keep some sort of balance, but as a corner, Haden made the correct play. What exactly do you expect him to do?! Break for the ball but stay standing up?
Originally posted by mayo63:
Love the two OL. Would cream my pants if this came true.

it wont..

this is a terrible mock, its not even a mock its a ..'what i want us to take and what everyone else will take around us'

again....RT needs to be addressed, however the top two tackles will be gone by #13....taking any other tackle that high would be an absolute reach with all the talent that is laden through the top two rounds of this draft....and the same goes for guard considering Singletary likes BOTH Baas and Chilo...

2nd and 3rd round picks have a much better chance of going OL....the only thing that will change this is if for some reason Okung or Williams are sitting there when we pick..

[ Edited by MaliCali on Jan 7, 2010 at 13:57:04 ]
Share 49ersWebzone