There are 243 users in the forums

Driftwood Mock Part Duex

My last mock wasnt so good, well lets say it wasnt really believable. :) This one I've set down and put alot more thought into it.

Offseason Additions : Julius Peppers, Casey Hampton, Lance Moore.

Peppers - I can obviously see this not happening as much as I can see it happening. But he's said he wants to rush the QB from OLB we fit that bill.

Hampton - Casey used to be considered the top 2 or 3 NT in the league. This would be a perfect combo with Franklin. We've not got the best depth behind Franklin and if he goes down our run defense will suffer severely.

Moore - Very good receiver , great out of the spread and would take over for brandon Jones as our 3rd wr.

DRAFT

1st Round pick a. - Anthony Davis OT Rugter
1st Round pick b . CJ Spiller RB/PR Clemson
2nd Round Mike Lupati OG Idaho
3rd Round Myron Rolle S FSU
4th Round Stephen Virgil CB VT
5th Round Micha Johnson LB KY
6th Round Riley Cooper WR Florida
7th Round Cody Slate FB/TE Marshall

Layout
Davis http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=238855 will step right in at RT Staley will stay put at left tackle , healthy I believe he belongs there.

Spiller http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=192151 will step in and give us the playbreaker, cure all our KR/PR issues, with him we can become even more balanced and all our weapons will become more dangerous.

Lupati http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188118 in the second well its going to be a close call he is pretty much head of the class at his position. Guards are nearly never taken in the first round with very few exceptions , unless he proves at the combine he's agile enough to play tackle we may have a good shot at him here.

Rolle http://myronrolle.com/ woulda been the best safety to come out last season but since he took off for the Rhodes scholar his stock will drop unless he's LIGHTS OUT at the combine assuming he's even invited. That being said, we'll have a defensive general that can take the mic helmet and prosper with it. Whoever gets him will get a very solid person and player.

Virgil http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=175146 A senior , virgil wasnt eligible for tonights game verse Tennessee. But he can step in and compete for the nickle position and give solid depth amongst the playmakers in our secondary.

Johnson http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/johnson_micah00.html he returned to kentucky for his finale season, this guy looks to me like he can step right in and replace Takeo in a season or two. To learn from Taeko , Willis, and Samuri Mike should be great for this kid.

Cooper http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=186575 , I can see us losing quite a few Wr's this season at least Bruce, then they may release Jones since they've wasted money on him along with that we know Battle will be gone. SO, Cooper would be a fantastic add this late in the draft.

Slate ,http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=184184 Hear me out here, this guy is not exactly a fullback, not exactly a TE. He's along the lines of a Chris Cooley, Dallas Clark, Justin Leonard build. I would look for him to take M.Robinson slot on the roster. I'd assume in the end he'd be listed as a TE.

Opinions?
puff puff passssss! Scotty McC said we weren't gonna do much in FA, then we turn around and bring in Peppers and Hampton? Not ever gonna happen. And Lance Moore? Really? Unless he's bringing Drew Brees with him, that'd be the only way Moore would be worth a payday. Moore is a product of the system. And what is up with everyone in the WZ all over Spiller? We're gonna draft a RB in the 3rd last year, and then turn around and pick another one in the 1st? Why not use the 2nd 1st round pick on Iupati (he won't make it to the 2nd) and then pick a CB/KR like Arenas in the 2nd? You'd kill 2 birds with one stone.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
puff puff passssss! Scotty McC said we weren't gonna do much in FA, then we turn around and bring in Peppers and Hampton? Not ever gonna happen. And Lance Moore? Really? Unless he's bringing Drew Brees with him, that'd be the only way Moore would be worth a payday. Moore is a product of the system. And what is up with everyone in the WZ all over Spiller? We're gonna draft a RB in the 3rd last year, and then turn around and pick another one in the 1st? Why not use the 2nd 1st round pick on Iupati (he won't make it to the 2nd) and then pick a CB/KR like Arenas in the 2nd? You'd kill 2 birds with one stone.

this is my mock draft not scottys. :) OUr 3rd round RB was a waste last season and he showed it all season long I wouldnt be suprised if he is released in the offseason.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:

this is my mock draft not scottys. :) OUr 3rd round RB was a waste last season and he showed it all season long I wouldnt be suprised if he is released in the offseason.

what? your saying he's a bust and a wasted picked? how? he was a ROOKIE? Plus when Gore was healthy, Gore rarely came off the field. Why would you give up on him after not even giving the kid a shot. Just cause he's not a generic version of Chris Johnson he's not good? Who says Spiller won't be a bust?

When did Scotty say that about FA? The only thing I heard was Jed saying most of the key guys would stay in place as far as Coach/GM/QB/OC etc. I'm not even a fan of his mock really, just wondering.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

When did Scotty say that about FA? The only thing I heard was Jed saying most of the key guys would stay in place as far as Coach/GM/QB/OC etc. I'm not even a fan of his mock really, just wondering.

I was wondering the same thing, I never saw any quotes from Scot saying anything about free agency.
I didn't even bother reading your FA really seriously.

As for your draft good luck waiting for Iupati in the 2nd.
The first three picks seem pretty optimistic.

Davis lasting past 10 and Iupati lasting into the 2nd doesn't seem likely, but if somehow we were able to land Davis, Spiller and Iupati I'd be . . . .
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
The first three picks seem pretty optimistic.

Davis lasting past 10 and Iupati lasting into the 2nd doesn't seem likely, but if somehow we were able to land Davis, Spiller and Iupati I'd be . . . .

Agree
Time for Option #3.......

Its hard to say exactly where players of these calibers will fall . Before the senior bowl and the combine its just tough.
Awesome draft !.. In FA though I doubt if Hampton would accept a lesser role (esp. with teams like San Diego in need of a good NT), so a draft pick (Cody ?) or a 2nd. tier backup type (like Franklin was when he got here) would accomplished the same goal you set out, and I'd get a guy like Harvey Dahl at OG..
[ Edited by toppdogg32 on Jan 1, 2010 at 3:36 PM ]
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Its hard to say exactly where players of these calibers will fall . Before the senior bowl and the combine its just tough.

Anthony Davis might make it to us. I'm fairly confident that Spiller will and even though RB isn't a huge need Scott M has shown he's not afraid to step out of our board to get the BPA. I'll be surprised if Iupait falls to our 2nd round pick. I think his draft stock is steadily climbing and he's got the size and agility to play just about any position on the line. Depending on his combine workout he could easily go top 20.

If he does go in the 2nd it'll be high second and if we want to grab him we'll have to trade down to get an extra second or move up our second.
Share 49ersWebzone