LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 275 users in the forums

I vote against taking Trent Williams the OT from Oklahoma because

Originally posted by KezarLivin:
After watching Iupati yesterday, it will be hard for ANY OL to impress me this bowl season. OTC and MD were right, Iupati is special.

Agree
Originally posted by MadMartz:
It Makes me laugh when people judge a player off of one game or a highlight video. Its sad really!

I think the concerns are legit. For a guy that's so highly touted, there's a range of opinions on him.

Personally, I'm really curious to see how fast he runs and how well he does against speed rushers. I know his speed doesn't really determine much, but for a guy that has (reported) 4.75 speed, I just don't see it.

Another thing I don't like about him is that he plays very upright. The power rushers in the NFL will probably be able to drive him back fairly easy.

His versatility is a plus and he has experience at RT, so if Williams slips to us, which wouldn't surprise me at all, we'd have to consider him. An early-mid 1st is huge investment for a RT, so for people to be concerned about the OT prospects, it shouldn't really surprise anyone. We need a RT that can bring some stability to our line and Williams' play hasn't exactly been consistant at OU.

The team seemed to love Oher last year and Williams looks like is a very different player. Oher has a mean streak and is a much better run blocker. If we're looking for a mauler at RT, Williams isn't our guy.
It Makes me laugh when people judge a player off of one game or a highlight video. Its sad really!

You are right, his 4 years as a starter means nothing.

There are plenty of 4-year starters that will never make it to the NFL.
Originally posted by strickac:

Not top 3 prospects at their respective positions bud!
Originally posted by strickac:

Not top 3 prospects at their respective positions bud!

That is true.

Again...

Again...

You are the most insightful poster on the zone. man you sure told me!

Again...

You are the most insightful poster on the zone. man you sure told me!

One note that may impact how people evaluated his performance yesterday. Williams was injured early in the game on the Stanford interception return. He landed very awkwardly after chasing the Stanford defender a long way down the field.

He came back in the next series, but the announcers were stating how he was dinged on the play.

I wouldn't put too much on any one particular game, especially since he was playing way out of position, and was dinged, as noted.

His offseason workouts will be critical in his final draft grade and where he will be drafted, which I believe will be before the Niners select.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 1, 2010 at 11:45 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone