LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

GEEK's 2010 Mock Draft

• GEEK
  • Veteran
DMB's 2010 Mock Draft

Note: I am going with a different direction for this mock plan. In the past, I tried to emulate picks that McCloughan would make. Since he's a bum, I am taking over the role of GM and will be selecting the picks based on my evaluation - and the influence from viewers like you!

Assumptions:

CBA does get renewed.

Chris Foerster gets fired for the poor offensive line play. Rachal has regressed, and Snyder has had only one solid game. We hire Pat Ruel as our offensive line coach. Ruel has been the Trojan's OL coach for the past 4 seasons, and instrumental in the development of Sam Baker, Chilo Rachal, and Winston Justice. He has a track record of success, and NFL coaching experience as well.

Resign -

Barry Sims - 2 year deal
- He's had an outstanding year at LT. No joke. I expect Staley to be moved back to RT, and we'll draft a backup LT in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Ahmed Brooks - 3 year deal
- Raw player with potential to becoming a serviceable player. 3 year deal, but we won't overpay for his services.

Walt Harris - 1 year deal
- Depth at CB.

David Baas - 1 year deal (RFA Tender)
- Competes at RG with Rachal

Aubrayo Franklin - 1 year deal (franchise)
- Another year to prove himself.

Extend -

Vernon Davis - TE - 5 year deal
- No question about it that Vernon deserves an extension after this season.

Patrick Willis - LB - 7 year dael
- Since we can't get Derek Smith back on the roster, Willis will have to do as the long-term guy at ILB.

Cut -

DeMetric Evans - DT/DE
Michael Lewis - SS (retires/releases) - Yes, GoFD, I stole this one from you.

Free Agent Signings -

Matt Roth - DE/OLB - 4 year deal - Browns
- With the emergence of Ahmed Brooks, we need another OLB to push Haralson for his job. Roth fits the bill without breaking the bank. This signing also is a proactive one as Manny Lawson may not get resigned for a long-term deal.

Clifton Ryan - DT/NT - 2 year deal - Rams
- He'll be a RFA, but I think the Rams will opt not to resign him as they will select Suh in the draft. Ryan is an interesting developmental prospect at NT for us.

Derek Anderson - QB - 2 year deal - Browns
- Let's hear the roars on this signing. Give Anderson a team with weapons, and he's at least proven to utilize it in some way. We won't let go of Hill though. Davis may see the practice squad if he can't beat out any QB.

Trade -

49ers 2nd round draft pick for Kerry Rhodes - S - Jets and their 4th round draft pick. A steep price to pay? Yes, but it adds a long-term solution to our secondary in a shallow market.

49ers trade 1st round drat pick (SF) and 4th round draft pick (NY) to Tampa Bay for two 2nd round draft picks (TB & CHI). Tampa trades up to select prime talent, while we re-obtain that 2nd round draft pick.

NFL Draft -

R1: C.J. Spiller - RB/KR - Clemson
- Spiller instantly becomes our big play threat. With an offense loaded with talent from the likes of Gore as the core, Davis as the powerful and speedy TE, and Crabtree as the rising WR star, Spiller can find his niche as the speedy RB, slot WR, and game changing KR/PR we've been lacking.

R2: Brandon Spikes - ILB - Florida
- ILBs are fairly hard to project, unless they rival Willis's abilities. In 2009, 0 ILBs were selected in the first round. If Spikes falls to this spot, it will be hard to pass on him in the 2nd round. With Takeo Spikes entering his final contractual, and potentially his last season, in the NFL, we need a replacement for him. While McKillop has shown flashes, it's hard to pass up Spikes talent at this spot.

R2: Jon Asamoah - OG - Illinois
- Would you take one 5 star OG over two 4 star players at OG and TED/LB? I chose the latter with this mock draft. Asamoah is by no means Iupati, he definitely holds his ground as an instant starter in the NFL. Good power and mobility, he can succeed in a zone scheme or power blocking scheme.

R3: Kyle Calloway - OT - Iowa
- Developmental left tackle, Calloway comes from a program with proven success to input starters in the NFL. He's got great size and power to at least have the potential as a starting LT in this league. He'll have a year or two to develop behind Sims.

R4: Myron Rolle - SS - Florida St.
- With the subtraction of Lewis and Roman, we'll need an additional safety. Rolle is a no-nonsense strong safety that does everything by the book, but isn't a big playmaker...basically a younger version of Roman with a bit more potential.

R5: Chris Hawkins - CB - LSU
- Replaces Hudson at CB on the depth chart.

R6: Freddie Barnes - WR/QB - Bowling Green
- The new Arnaz Battle at WR.

R7: Erik Cook - C - New Mexico
- Developmental pick to challenge Wallace and Wragge on the interior line.

Depth Chart -

QB: Smith/Anderson*/Hill PS: Davis
RB: Gore/Spiller*/Coffee
FB: Norris/Robinson
TE: Davis/Walker

WR: Crabtree/Jones
WR: Morgan/Barnes*
WR: Hill

LT: Sims/Calloway*
LG: Asamoah*/Wragge
OC: Heitmann/Wallace PS: Cook*
RG: Baas/Rachal
RT: Staley/Snyder

Summary: We need continuity and upgraded talent on the offensive line - ironic, ain't it? With this mock, we keep Baas, Staley, Sims, and Heitmann in the lineup. We get a new starting OG in Asamuah, and a backup LT in Calloway. 1 starter, and 1 new back up? I think that's the best we can do for the situation. Spiller is the main addition as he can play multiple positions.

LE: Smith/McDonald
NT: Franklin/Ryan* PS: RJF
RE: Sopoaga/Balmer

OLB: Lawson/Brooks
ILB: Willis/McKillop
ILB: Spikes/Spikes*
OLB: Haralson/Roth*

CB: Clements/Brown/Harris
CB: Spencer/Hawkins*
FS: Rhodes*/Smith
SS: Goldson/Rolle*

ST: Nedney, Lee, Jennings

Summary: We are only a few pieces away from having a top 5 defense in 2010. The acquisition of Rhodes will give us a pro-bowl caliber S that we haven't had since Tony Parrish in his prime. The continued growth of Goldson and a healthy Nate Clements will improve our secondary. We also add role players in Roth and Ryan that may end up being future starters in 2010 or 2011. The selection of Spikes will give us the equivalent of Ray Lewis and Bart Scott in their prime.

Remaining questions: Is moving Joe Staley to RT feasible? Will Sims continue his performance in 2010? Is the addition of Calloway going to suffice to address the OT position? Is Geek an idiot for signing Derek Anderson? Isn't Nate Davis better than Marino, Montana, and P. manning combined? At least according to NT.

Thoughts?
a lot of weird stuff here but i just want to point out that if freddy barnes wont be there in the 6th
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I would hate this. Rhodes has regressed, if you can't prosper in Ryan's system you aren't a very good defender, in fact I don't like any of the FA/ trade moves propsed.
I don't mind the trade back, but once again spending our 2 top picks on areas we are already solid at is a complete waste and yet again ignoring our most glaring weaknesses. I don't want to be sitting here next year at this time saying "boy we sure need to fix the oline and get a pass rush" for the umpteenth year in a row. I know everyone is in love with Spiller and he likely won't be there when we pick because everyone will have Chrisjohnsonfever after this year and overdraft anyone who reminds them of him. We have playmakers, I wouldn't mind seeing the entire draft and offseason in general aimed at fixing our 2 biggest perrenial problems, and maybe adding a CB who can return kicks.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I could've sworn you said, you wouldn't mock until 2010, so you lied. LIAR!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Forget the trades, I want quality not quantity.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Have you seen Derek Anderson this year? I know no weapons but he's been GOD AWFUL.
As for Kerry Rhodes, my best friend is a Jets fan, all i hear is him complaining about Rhodes, and sighing relief when he actually does something.

Plus we all know that the OL should be the #1 priority this offseason. You're biggest addition is a 2nd round OG?

Don't really like this at all.
Good try bad mock and off season!
Matt Roth - DE/OLB - 4 year deal - Browns
- With the emergence of Ahmed Brooks, we need another OLB to push Haralson for his job. Roth fits the bill without breaking the bank. This signing also is a proactive one as Manny Lawson may not get resigned for a long-term deal.

Roth is a RFA and has been great for the Browns, they will not let him go.

Derek Anderson - QB - 2 year deal - Browns
- Let's hear the roars on this signing. Give Anderson a team with weapons, and he's at least proven to utilize it in some way. We won't let go of Hill though. Davis may see the practice squad if he can't beat out any QB.

I have watched Anderson very closely for the last 3 years, I can honestly say NO! Moving Davis to the PS is not a good idea at all.

Walt Harris - 1 year deal
- Depth at CB.

We need to get and stay younger, time to let Walt go.

Barry Sims - 2 year deal
- He's had an outstanding year at LT. No joke. I expect Staley to be moved back to RT, and we'll draft a backup LT in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Actually I agree on Sims being resigned but Staley will stay on the left unless he starts to regress.

R1: C.J. Spiller - RB/KR - Clemson
Spiller is a board favorite and I'm a fan of the kid. If he's there when we pick I expect Scotty to pull the trigger. Taking the best offensive skill player in back to back years is awesome....and a bit lucky.
R2: Brandon Spikes - ILB - Florida
Wouldn't be mad with this pick but there's only 1 MLB I want (McClain) and if we don't get him I would rather wait till 2011 to look for another one.
R2: Jon Asamoah - OG - Illinois
Great pick and good value but lets hope we don't bust on another 2nd round OG....
R3: Kyle Calloway - OT - Iowa
Good pick but the chances of this kid "beating out" Staley for future LT wont happen.
R4: Myron Rolle - SS - Florida St.
Need to see some combine numbers first
R5: Chris Hawkins - CB - LSU
Regarding Hudson with this pick....I would rather keep Hudson
R6: Freddie Barnes - WR/QB - Bowling Green
Another combine and maybe Senior Bowl guy I would like to see. His numbers are great but the competition was weak.
R7: Erik Cook - C - New Mexico
At the 7th round whoever you want is fine.

49ers 2nd round draft pick for Kerry Rhodes - S - Jets and their 4th round draft pick. A steep price to pay? Yes, but it adds a long-term solution to our secondary in a shallow market.

If were looking for a FS and you're willing do dump a 2nd I would rather keep the pick and go after Allen from USF for instance.

49ers trade 1st round drat pick (SF) and 4th round draft pick (NY) to Tampa Bay for two 2nd round draft picks (TB & CHI). Tampa trades up to select prime talent, while we re-obtain that 2nd round draft pick.

Not sure if the math is correct in that ^^^^^ trade.

You basically gave us 1 first rounder and 2 second rounders......I would rather stay with 2 first rounders and 1 second rounder. We could just as easily trade back in the first and keep both first rounders but gain a second rounder.
I'm not sure about how I feel about the Spikes pick, but I wouldn't complain about spending a 2nd on him. I'd really like to land Spiller though. I think we've lacked explosive players on offense for FAR too long. I can't recall the last time we have a player that was a threat to score any time he touched the ball. Gore is a stud, but I'm talking speed.

Rhodes is starting again in NY and has been playing great lately. They'll might be looking to restructure his fat deal. Mainly though, I don't really think he's worth a 2nd, in terms of what he'd add to our defense. He's not really a ballhawk. I'd rather draft someone with that pick. Plus, if we landed Rolle, it kind of takes the value out of the Rhodes trade. IMO, we should be looking at a SS to develop behind Lewis.

The Roth signing would be a great move, but I don't think Holmgren is going to let him leave town. He's been a monster for Cleveland and he really seems to be coming into his own at OLB. He'd take Haralson's job in no time. Roth and Brooks would be a scary duo. Roth reminds me of slightly smaller and quicker version of Justin Smith.

If we can sign a quality RT in free agency, it would give us so much freedom in the draft. Too bad there aren't going to be many options. I think Willie Colon might be the best fit for us. Jeremy Trueblood is probably the next best option. Both would be a significant upgrade over Snyder. I'd like to see Pathos backing one of these guys up. I also expect that Baas will be resigned.
I'm not to excited about the trade for Rhodes, but nice job & alot of thought into it.

Well thought out. I liked the creative avenues you took to shore up the oline and addressed the Dline. I thought your draft was heavy on the safety areas but overall it was a creative outside of the box approach. We will soon see how reality matches up with your GM skills.
Originally posted by FL9er:
I could've sworn you said, you wouldn't mock until 2010, so you lied. LIAR!

I think GEEK lives in Guam which is on the other side of the International Date line. For him it is 2010 already
I really dislike how you handled the qb situation, Hill needs to go. But I like the Spiller pick
Davis to the PS.

Davis>Hill
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Well thought out. I liked the creative avenues you took to shore up the oline and addressed the Dline. I thought your draft was heavy on the safety areas but overall it was a creative outside of the box approach. We will soon see how reality matches up with your GM skills.

My main goal was to give a taste of my perspective to the zone that's atypical compared to other mock drafts. So I am sure others are not going to like it haha.

Thanks for the kind words.

And in certain parts of the world, it is 2010. So i did not lie, I am just observing that time for the mock. Suck it.
Share 49ersWebzone