LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 336 users in the forums

MadDog's Winter Solstice First Round Mock

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by genz22:
How about Golden Tate in the 2nd....

Love the 1st round picks....

In the above draft scenario, the Niners still need help at the PR position. However, I'm not sure they will pick up a WR to fill that role. I'd expect a 4th rounder at CB/PR to fill that role.

I think the team need to look at safety and guard in the second and third rounds. Of course, what happens in free agency, and the decisions they have to make on Clements, Baas, Franklin, will be huge. Finally, I'm not sure what will happen with M. Lewis this offseason. He may call it quits, or give it a go one more year.

In other words, this team may have to replace five or even six starters in 2010, and the draft may be largely needs-based if players walk away, or are released.
Should be a highly interesting offseason with the uncapped year approaching.

MD, I know you've stayed away from the QB position for a while, but I just can't imagine that we completely pretend that this is not an issue anymore. Smith has not had a great game in his career. He's had a few good games, some more decent games, many bad games, and a ton of horrific games. He's thrown INTs in the last drive of the game when we've needed a TD, several times, and the one game we needed to win to stay alive in the hunt he comes out and has a terrible terrible game. THIS IS A QB LEAGUE!!! Manning, Rivers, Rodgers, Warner, McNaab, etc...these are the guys taking their teams to the playoffs! Not Smith, Campbell, Edwards etc.
Originally posted by jta854:
Hey MadDog, right now where do you see T. Cody going in this draft? Another player I'd like your opinion on is Dan Williams from Tennessee, do you think he could play NT in the 3-4?

Cody and Williams are going in opposite directions. Cody is sliding and Williams is rising. Cody's weight, and inability to show much lateral movement really limits his options to 3-4 teams. He also did not progress in 2009.

On the flip side, Williams has really jumped out on film, and provides an option for both 3-4 and 4-3 teams. The biggest concern is concussions. If this can be cleared at the combine in the medical testing done, and teams feel confident he will be alright, Williams will more than likely be drafted before Cody.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Williams goes about 20th overall, and Cody to the last few picks of the first round. SD might like Cody to replace J. Williams.
Originally posted by j3xperience:
I know this is kind of petty but if this scenario was to happen I feel that Haden would be picked 11th and Williams at 12. I feel that management doesn't want to pay a RT with that type of money.

but this addresses 2 big areas as I don't see Bly back next year and expect Clements to move to FS and Goldson to slide to SS. Brown and Spencer can man the CBs till Haden is ready to take over after being the nickel back.

Here is why I had this order: The Niners definitely want to use their first pick on a player and then put the second on the trade block to see what offer may be thrown their way. Since the team MUST get a tackle, Williams is the choice with that first selection. Then, the team could select Haden, or trade down for another player they are targetting.

The Niners seem really uncertain about their plans for Clements. If he does move to FS, or is released, then Haden seems the obvious choice. I don't think the team has any confidence with Brown, and he could end up being a dime back in 2010, if Harris returns for one more year.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

In the above draft scenario, the Niners still need help at the PR position. However, I'm not sure they will pick up a WR to fill that role. I'd expect a 4th rounder at CB/PR to fill that role.

I think the team need to look at safety and guard in the second and third rounds. Of course, what happens in free agency, and the decisions they have to make on Clements, Baas, Franklin, will be huge. Finally, I'm not sure what will happen with M. Lewis this offseason. He may call it quits, or give it a go one more year.

In other words, this team may have to replace five or even six starters in 2010, and the draft may be largely needs-based if players walk away, or are released.

MD, I know you've stayed away from the QB position for a while, but I just can't imagine that we completely pretend that this is not an issue anymore. Smith has not had a great game in his career. He's had a few good games, some more decent games, many bad games, and a ton of horrific games. He's thrown INTs in the last drive of the game when we've needed a TD, several times, and the one game we needed to win to stay alive in the hunt he comes out and has a terrible terrible game. THIS IS A QB LEAGUE!!! Manning, Rivers, Rodgers, Warner, McNaab, etc...these are the guys taking their teams to the playoffs! Not Smith, Campbell, Edwards etc.

You are right that this is a QB league. At the same time, Smith was splittling reps in training camp, was under a new OC (again) and was not the starter going into the season. The team is still trying to figure out an identity on offense, and I believe he will get every opportunity to be the man in 2010.

In addition, although Davis is not close to being ready, I think the Niners liked what they saw in preseason, and want to keep a close eye on his development. Davis could be the guy to step in midway through 2010 if Smith still struggles.

Smith simply has too much upside to abandon at this point, and none of the incoming QB's are going to be ready to play at a high level in 2010. In other words, I'd grade Smith well above the incoming class of QB's in 2010, so it wouldn't make sense to have that player sit. The team is close to making a serious run at the playoffs and beyond in 2010. They are just a few key players away.

Final note: Although Smith has been up and down this season, it is pretty obvious to see the progress, confidence. If the team can settle into a system this offseason, Smith presents the necessary tools (accuracy, arm strength, intelligence, etc.) to give the team the best chance to win. This team just needs to settle in.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 21, 2009 at 8:35 AM ]
Does Nate Allen have a chance at being their at the 9ers pick in the 2nd round?
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Does Nate Allen have a chance at being their at the 9ers pick in the 2nd round?

I think he's got a good chance. I expect one of the underclassmen to declare and leapfrog him on the board. I could easily see him on the board at number 47 this year.
Hey MadDog, right now where do you see T. Cody going in this draft? Another player I'd like your opinion on is Dan Williams from Tennessee, do you think he could play NT in the 3-4?

Cody and Williams are going in opposite directions. Cody is sliding and Williams is rising. Cody's weight, and inability to show much lateral movement really limits his options to 3-4 teams. He also did not progress in 2009.

On the flip side, Williams has really jumped out on film, and provides an option for both 3-4 and 4-3 teams. The biggest concern is concussions. If this can be cleared at the combine in the medical testing done, and teams feel confident he will be alright, Williams will more than likely be drafted before Cody.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Williams goes about 20th overall, and Cody to the last few picks of the first round. SD might like Cody to replace J. Williams.

And Williams as a NT?

And Williams as a NT?

Sure. Williams is about 6'1 1/2", 330 pounds. He's a widebody. Pretty good strength as well.
I would not be mad at those two picks.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

You are right that this is a QB league. At the same time, Smith was splittling reps in training camp, was under a new OC (again) and was not the starter going into the season. The team is still trying to figure out an identity on offense, and I believe he will get every opportunity to be the man in 2010.

In addition, although Davis is not close to being ready, I think the Niners liked what they saw in preseason, and want to keep a close eye on his development. Davis could be the guy to step in midway through 2010 if Smith still struggles.

Smith simply has too much upside to abandon at this point, and none of the incoming QB's are going to be ready to play at a high level in 2010. In other words, I'd grade Smith well above the incoming class of QB's in 2010, so it wouldn't make sense to have that player sit. The team is close to making a serious run at the playoffs and beyond in 2010. They are just a few key players away.

Final note: Although Smith has been up and down this season, it is pretty obvious to see the progress, confidence. If the team can settle into a system this offseason, Smith presents the necessary tools (accuracy, arm strength, intelligence, etc.) to give the team the best chance to win. This team just needs to settle in.

Nice mock MadDog. Agree this team needs to find a direction & stay together & gel. We are not very far away. This is a very big offseason for the 49ers!

from what I hear trent williams has not had a great year trying to make transition to left tackle.....the question is whether he was overrated or just put into bad spot....i suspect he was just put into a bad spot

but what about the iowa tackle brian bulaga...i dont watch alot of tape on the prospects but what i see of this guy, he is the most fundamentally sound tackle prospect, as he always seems to keep his body square to the pass rusher, and he also seems to block until the play ends...he reminds me a bit of staley, a guy who could probably start at right tackle and move over to left tackle if injury required him to do so...and he is a kirk ferentz guy, wasnt ferentz a very good oline coach before getting the iowa job?

thoughts on baluga?
I like it
MD when all is said and done should we say f**k it and move up for Berry? Dump him at FS slide Goldson into SS and call it a day.

Also

After the last few games its blatantly apparent that we need serious game speed on both sides of the ball. Why not go after a burner to play to slot and return kicks?
[ Edited by jreff22 on Dec 21, 2009 at 10:14 AM ]
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
its not sexy, but I'll take it.

Doesn't get any sexier than that.
I would be very happy with that draft. Two top players at biggest positions of need, especially Haden. Our team needs speed in the secondary and he is the best CB available, bar none.
Share 49ersWebzone