LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 263 users in the forums

Joe Haden, CB, Florida

Question for you college fans (since I didn't watch a bunch of Florida games this year).... how good is Joe Haden? I've read a ton of mock drafts that have us selecting him with our first pick. I've read the reviews but just wanted to hear first hand from people who have watched him play. Thoughts?
He's the real deal. Not sure how he'll time out (4.4s or 4.5s), but in terms of pure cover skills, toughness, technique and size, he'd be the top CB in the draft if he declares.
I was VERY impressed by his coverage and tackling skills. He is the guy I want with our first pick if Berry is gone but I'm afraid he might be gone as well.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
He's the real deal. Not sure how he'll time out (4.4s or 4.5s), but in terms of pure cover skills, toughness, technique and size, he'd be the top CB in the draft if he declares.

Where do you think he ranks as a prospect compared to the other top CB prospects of the last 3,5,10 yrs etc. I ask because I think for a CB to be a truly impactful on our team he would have to be an upgrade over 2 good corners in Nate and Spencer, and I hardly want to spend a top 10 pick on a "slight" upgrade.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Where do you think he ranks as a prospect compared to the other top CB prospects of the last 3,5,10 yrs etc. I ask because I think for a CB to be a truly impactful on our team he would have to be an upgrade over 2 good corners in Nate and Spencer, and I hardly want to spend a top 10 pick on a "slight" upgrade.

I think Haden is somewhere between a Leon Hall (Bengals) and Darrelle Revis (Jets), and definitely a better overall talent than Spencer. If the 49ers feel that Clements is no longer worth his contract, they could grab Haden and start him next to Spencer next year. Haden, Spencer, Brown and a vet like Bly/Harris would be a very nice corps of CBs.

I think Haden is somewhere between a Leon Hall (Bengals) and Darrelle Revis (Jets), and definitely a better overall talent than Spencer. If the 49ers feel that Clements is no longer worth his contract, they could grab Haden and start him next to Spencer next year. Haden, Spencer, Brown and a vet like Bly/Harris would be a very nice corps of CBs.

Is that really that much better than Nate, Spencer, Brown and Bly tho?

If we plan on keeping Nate, I doubt we go with a CB in the 1st round...it wouldn't make sense financially to have that much money tied up into a group of CBs. But if we think Nate isn't worth his contract, and decide to part ways with him, grabbing Haden makes sense, because I don't think you want to head into next season with just Spencer, Brown and Bly/Harris as your top CBs.
I like Haden. If we draft him we either re-work Nate's deal or release him.
Joe Haden #5 CB

CAREER STATS
TACKLES FUMBLES FORCED INTERCEPTIONS
197 2 8

Birth Date April 14, 1989 Age 20
Hometown FORT WASHINGTON, MD Class Junior
Height 5-11
Weight 190 lbs.

[ Edited by Negrodamus on Dec 16, 2009 at 18:20:55 ]

Originally posted by tohara3:
I like Haden. If we draft him we either re-work Nate's deal or release him.

am i the only one who knows theres no way in hell nate's going to re-work that deal ?
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Joe Haden #5 CB

CAREER STATS
TACKLES FUMBLES FORCED INTERCEPTIONS
197 2 8

Birth Date April 14, 1989 Age 20
Hometown FORT WASHINGTON, MD Class Junior
Height 5-11
Weight 190 lbs.

Nice info.

If we plan on keeping Nate, I doubt we go with a CB in the 1st round...it wouldn't make sense financially to have that much money tied up into a group of CBs. But if we think Nate isn't worth his contract, and decide to part ways with him, grabbing Haden makes sense, because I don't think you want to head into next season with just Spencer, Brown and Bly/Harris as your top CBs.

I see what you're saying, but I also don't think this team is in position to release quality players because they're overpaying them. Really bad teams can purge their rosters, and really good teams can afford to be fiscally responsible. This team needs the playoffs, and cannot spend a top 10 pick to be where it left off in the off-season. Any thoughts on how Nate projects to FS or SS? Personally I have mixed feelings.
Whether its at corner or safety, i think next year is nate's last year regardless. I"m of the Bill Walsh philsophy in that its better to draft a guy's replacement a year early than a year late. If we get Haden, I'd be ecstatic. Follow that up with an OL in round one like Bulaga and its winner winner chicken dinner. Arenas brings the return skills, but not that level of coverage ability. IMO getting Haden will be like when we got Willis. We didn't really have to get him, just too good to pass up.
I didnt watch many florida games, but the ones i did he looked like crap. The commentators gave him high praise but he got burnt alot. I think he was a product of better talent around him that made him look good i guess. There is also a Link on the 49erswebzone some one posted that shows haden playing terrible. I hope we dont draft haden he's going to be a bust.
Share 49ersWebzone