There are 148 users in the forums

Very deep draft for 3-4 OLBs

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Thanks for compiling the list Ghost. I'm very interested in how you (and OTC) would rank them as well. I know it's a little early for that, but a round grade will be very helpful. I have been working out of the country since sept, so I don't have much idea of what's going on in college football.

I can take a stab at putting a round grade on these guys, but it's definitely subject to change after the upcoming bowl games, combine and pro days.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Thanks for compiling the list Ghost. I'm very interested in how you (and OTC) would rank them as well. I know it's a little early for that, but a round grade will be very helpful. I have been working out of the country since sept, so I don't have much idea of what's going on in college football.

I can take a stab at putting a round grade on these guys, but it's definitely subject to change after the upcoming bowl games, combine and pro days.

Yeah, things will change quite a bit. I'll wait till the end of the senior bowl and declarations. Maybe, after that you could post the round grade if you get a chance.

Yeah, things will change quite a bit. I'll wait till the end of the senior bowl and declarations. Maybe, after that you could post the round grade if you get a chance.

I took a best-guess on it and just now added the rounds to the original post.
The depth at OLB in this draft is exactly why the 49ers should not take one in round 1 but instead wait until the 2nd round . There is going to be an outstanding pass rusher that does fall to us. Hughes, Graham, Hardy, Sapp... any of them could still possibly be there. I'm not sure any of them are an absolute certainty for round 1.
  • JD81
  • Veteran
We need to get Brandon Graham....'Nuff said.
I'd be happy with Hughes or Graham. Von Miller also looks very intriguing but I haven't watched much of him.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

I took a best-guess on it and just now added the rounds to the original post.

Just looked at the original post again, and thank you very much. So, quite a few should be available in 2nd and 3rd round. The way Manny Lawson and Brooks are coming along, I'll wait till 2nd or even 3rd round to draft a pass-rusher.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
The depth at OLB in this draft is exactly why the 49ers should not take one in round 1 but instead wait until the 2nd round . There is going to be an outstanding pass rusher that does fall to us. Hughes, Graham, Hardy, Sapp... any of them could still possibly be there. I'm not sure any of them are an absolute certainty for round 1.

I completely agree with this. The Niners could take one in the 2nd, and then another OLB/DE on day 2. I think that'd be a very smart way to go.
Not that we shouldn't take an OLB at all in this draft (I definitely think we should, though I'd prefer to wait until the 2nd/3rd round), but I wouldn't automatically discount Dyral Briggs as a legit backup next year.

If they didn't believe in this kid's talent, there's no way they use a roster spot on him this year...they'd continue to develop him on the practice squad and take their chances that someone might grab him.

If he spends the off-season bulking up, improving his pass rush technique with Al Harris and gets his head around the playbook, we could have ourselves a steal.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Ghost>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>OnTheClock>>>>>>>MadDog

Not that we shouldn't take an OLB at all in this draft (I definitely think we should, though I'd prefer to wait until the 2nd/3rd round), but I wouldn't automatically discount Dyral Briggs as a legit backup next year.

If they didn't believe in this kid's talent, there's no way they use a roster spot on him this year...they'd continue to develop him on the practice squad and take their chances that someone might grab him.

If he spends the off-season bulking up, improving his pass rush technique with Al Harris and gets his head around the playbook, we could have ourselves a steal.

This I agree with. This will help us wait & take a guy later unless there is an absolute stud sitting there in the 2nd round!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

After, what Brooks, Alex Smith, Vernon, Manny, Goldson, and Franklin have done on the field this year, I have renewed faith in our coaching staff to develop players with potential, and Briggs certainly have that. I like the depth at DL also (Balmer, McDonald) and at ILB.

We have had a consistent front 7 for last year and a half, and now they are all playin' well. Shocking to see how continuity brings the best out of the individuals and the team...

trade back in the first round, maybe switch 1st's with a team and we get their second or third and get haden and an ot in the first round then olb in the second round and guard or bpa from then on
Great list GOFD.... although Manny, Brooks and Haralson are doing pretty good at getting sacks we have lacked a dominate pass rusher since the days of BY. I wouldn't mind if we used one of our first 3 picks on one of these guys. You are right, that there is a lot of depth and great talent there. I'd prefer Haden, then one of these guys and tackle with our 2nd rounder. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind geting a tackle in free ageny either and saving a pick. We could also use FA to get a safety because to me there isn't much depth in the draft and Berry should be long gone by our pick.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 18, 2009 at 06:04:44 ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
The more you exam this draft, the more excited you get in seeing all of the potential 3-4 OLBs (and it gets deeper/richer if a few of these juniors declare). So here's my first pass at putting together a comprehensive list, though keep in mind, it's not really a ranked order at this point and some of these are projected to potentially play 3-4 OLB but could either be a pure 4-3 DE or a 4-3 OLB:

Player - college - measureables - projected round (subject to change)
Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech (6'3", 270)* - 1st
Brandon Graham, Michigan (6'2", 265) - 1st-2nd
Jerry Hughes, TCU (6'3", 255) - late 1st-2nd
Sergio Kindle, Texas (6'4", 250) - 2nd
Von Miller, Texas A&M (6'3", 245)* - 2nd-3rd

Brandon Sharpe, Texas Tech (6'3", 255) - 2nd-4th
Eric Norwood, South Carolina (6'1", 250) - 2nd-4th
Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma (6'3", 260)* - 2nd-3rd
Ricky Sapp, Clemson (6'4", 240) - 3rd-5th
Jermaine Cunningham, Florida (6'3", 255) - 3rd-5th
Austen Lane, Murray State (6'7", 260) - 2nd-5th
Antonio Coleman, Auburn (6'3", 260) - 3rd-5th
Greg Hardy, Ole Miss (6'5", 270) late 1st-2nd
George Selvie, South Florida (6'4", 250) - 2nd-4th
Sean Witherspoon, Missouri (6'2", 245) - late 1st-2nd
O'Brien Schofield, Wisconsin (6'3", 250) - 3rd-5th
Jarvis Geathers, UCF (6'2", 240) - 3rd-6th
Brandon Lang, Troy (6'4", 255) - 3rd-6th
Aaron Morgan, La-Monroe (6'4", 240) - 4th-7th
Lindsey Witten, UConn (6'5", 260) - 3rd-6th
Willie Young, NC State (6'4", 250) - 4th-7th
Dexter Davis, Arizona (6'2", 255) - 4th-7th

Feel free to add someone that I missed. Fyi, I didn't add McClain as I see him as an ILB, but he could definitely be considered an OLB prospect by some teams.

I'm beginning to think that Jerry Hughes is this year's Everette Brown, not that that's a bad thing. I think the 1st 3 guys on the list best pro position is DE in a 4-man line. People forget that Sergio Kindle had 11 sacks as a junior playing LB, but they lost Orakpo, he commands all the attention and double teams and his numbers are down.

I know the 49ers need a KR, a RT, and possibly a backup RB, but in terms of long-term impact I think the best bet for the 49ers 2 #1s are Joe Haden and Kindle.

Feel free to disagree.
Share 49ersWebzone