LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Luxury Picks

Are we that good of a team that we can afford splurging first round picks on guys like Spiller and Bryant?

On the offensive side of the ball, we already have dedicated so many 1st round picks to the skill positions - Smith, Crabtree and Davis.

With so many holes on the offensive line, no depth at CB behind Spencer and below-average FS play, is drafting luxury picks really advisable?

I feel that the best case scenario for us is to either trade up for Berry or trade down and pick a RT, OG and OLB.

I think that we now may have to go away from drafting BPA to drafting for need.

Thoughts?

-9fA
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
The 49ers now have enough talent across the board, that they can target the BPA within a specific position group that needs upgrading.

That doesn't necessarily mean reach for need if that makes sense.
I see what you are saying, but in regards to Spiller, we NEED a game changer for PR/KR as well as the home run threat. Our offense lacks speed in the back field, spiller AND gore would be a nightmare for defenses.

Is berry so good that we trade up for him....Maybe he is? Do we trade Carolina's pick and our 3rd to move up to get him at say the 5th 6th spot?

My dream draft right now is, Berry and Spiller in the 1st, best OL either guard or tackle in the 2nd, unless Jerry Hughes or similar OLB is available.

In reality, We probaly will go with RT and BPA in 1st, either OLB or Secondary.
I don't see Spiller or Bryant as "splurges." They're top notch athletes and playmakers on offense...IMO, we're not good enough yet to pass on those types of players.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
I don't see Spiller or Bryant as "splurges." They're top notch athletes and playmakers on offense...IMO, we're not good enough yet to pass on those types of players.

Neither of those guys are a sure pick. Bryant has some questions about him and doesn't provide much compliment to Crabtree.

I don't want us to draft either player in the first round(and we know they wont be around in the 2nd) because we have other holes to fill and despite what people think we have BIG holes.

RT and OLB are huge needs. People see some sacks and a couple of games with decent pass protection(against mediocre pass rushing teams) and everyone forgets about how terrible those really are for us.

I'm a big Lawson fan but he hasn't been able to rush the passer consistently, neither has Haralson or Brooks. We need that 1 guy who is a stud and the other team has to gameplan for. You get one guy like that and the guy on the other side will look 3 times better.

If we HAD to draft either Spiller or Bryant it sure better be Spiller as he could produce in various spots on the offense and actually provide a different threat to opposing teams.

If we have just size/possession type receivers there doesn't leave much for the defense to think about. They don't need to worry about covering certain routes.

Ideally I want a situation like the pats do with Moss(Crabtree) and Welker(whomever) where you have a bigger receiver and a quick mofo who can take a quick pass and pick up a first down.

I realize Crabtree doesn't have the speed or talent of Moss but that was the best example out there of size and speed working together.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Are we that good of a team that we can afford splurging first round picks on guys like Spiller and Bryant?

On the offensive side of the ball, we already have dedicated so many 1st round picks to the skill positions - Smith, Crabtree and Davis.

With so many holes on the offensive line, no depth at CB behind Spencer and below-average FS play, is drafting luxury picks really advisable?

I feel that the best case scenario for us is to either trade up for Berry or trade down and pick a RT, OG and OLB.

Thoughts?

-9fA

if we get atleast 1 free agent oline then i say yes.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

Thoughts?

-9fA

a legit o line not a backup like manikins then maybe draft a RT and use 1 luxury pick on mcclain spiller or bryant
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

Thoughts?

-9fA

a legit o line not a backup like manikins then maybe draft a RT and use 1 luxury pick on mcclain spiller or bryant

aye yeah i meant a legyt Olinemen in free agency, and i mean a bonafide signing not some second rate signing like pashos was.
Originally posted by genus49:

Neither of those guys are a sure pick. Bryant has some questions about him and doesn't provide much compliment to Crabtree.

I don't want us to draft either player in the first round(and we know they wont be around in the 2nd) because we have other holes to fill and despite what people think we have BIG holes.

RT and OLB are huge needs. People see some sacks and a couple of games with decent pass protection(against mediocre pass rushing teams) and everyone forgets about how terrible those really are for us.

I'm a big Lawson fan but he hasn't been able to rush the passer consistently, neither has Haralson or Brooks. We need that 1 guy who is a stud and the other team has to gameplan for. You get one guy like that and the guy on the other side will look 3 times better.

If we HAD to draft either Spiller or Bryant it sure better be Spiller as he could produce in various spots on the offense and actually provide a different threat to opposing teams.

If we have just size/possession type receivers there doesn't leave much for the defense to think about. They don't need to worry about covering certain routes.

Ideally I want a situation like the pats do with Moss(Crabtree) and Welker(whomever) where you have a bigger receiver and a quick mofo who can take a quick pass and pick up a first down.

I realize Crabtree doesn't have the speed or talent of Moss but that was the best example out there of size and speed working together.

1.) Nobody in any draft is a sure pick
2.) A WR corps of Crabtree/Bryant/Morgan/Jones/Hill would be deepest and most talented 1-5 in the NFL
3.) RT and OLB are definite needs, but is using the two 1st rounders the smartest approach?
4.) I tend to agree that we'd be more balanced with a smaller/speedier WR on the roster
5.) I'm not convinced that there is 1 clear pass rusher in this draft that other teams have to game plan for. Some of these guys could turn into that, but it's not obvious at this point that there's that 1 guy.

2.) A WR corps of Crabtree/Bryant/Morgan/Jones/Hill would be deepest and most talented 1-5 in the NFL
3.) RT and OLB are definite needs, but is using the two 1st rounders the smartest approach?
4.) I tend to agree that we'd be more balanced with a smaller/speedier WR on the roster
5.) I'm not convinced that there is 1 clear pass rusher in this draft that other teams have to game plan for. Some of these guys could turn into that, but it's not obvious at this point that there's that 1 guy.

suh is the only legyt pass rusher in the draft, the rest is a gamble, and suh won't last past 3.

Good points, Ghost.

The only concern I have is trusting McCloughan and his scouting staff to find our RT of the future AND a quality pass rusher in the middle rounds (3rd round on....). The Niners may have some tough choices with gamebreakers like Bryant, Spiller, and Haden available with their first two picks.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Good points, Ghost.

The only concern I have is trusting McCloughan and his scouting staff to find our RT of the future AND a quality pass rusher in the middle rounds (3rd round on....). The Niners may have some tough choices with gamebreakers like Bryant, Spiller, and Haden available with their first two picks.

Very good points! Hopefully we can have a good FA signing or two to help make the draft easier for us.

Thoughts?

-9fA

Spiller would not be a luxury in my opinion. In fact, we need a PR/KR. For once BPA is also a need.

I agree and I disagree. I agree that Spiller isnt a spluge because he would make a huge impact right away in areas (special teams) where we just suck. He would also be a great compliment to Gore. I actually see our rb's as average at best now and feel like we need some explosion there.

I disagree about Bryant. When you have as many holes as we do I just dont think you should take a WR in back to back years that high UNLESS there simply isnt another player close in ability. I consider Bryant to be a total luxury pick as I do McClain. That doesnt mean they wont be very good. It simply means we need more help elsewhere and players like Haden and Spiller make more sense.

Berry
Spiller
Bryant
Haden
McClain

If one is gone go down the list and pick the next, each offer a skill set needed and are masters at their respected positions.
Share 49ersWebzone