Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by jreff22:
How about...NO!

See Detroit Lions for reasons why not.

How about ...YES!

See Philadelphia Eagles for reasons why

Another one? Really?

What am I seeing from the Eagles? Did they win a superbowl that I missed at some point?

Honestly I don't even know wtf you're talking about. If your example is that they drafted Maclin this season...at pick #19...after drafting Jackson in teh 2nd round.

So why are they a good example of spending back to back top 10 picks on receivers who are very similar?

Because spending two some what high picks on the same position isn't a bad idea. We don't have the depth or actual playmakers at WR to leave it alone. If Crabs or Morgan went down we are left with nothing. Every great team that will be in the playoffes usually has 2 great WR's...we don't yet. Plus we need a return guy which Bryant is.

You know what great playoff teams have too? A very good defense. A great D and pass rush > great receivers - just see the Pats vs Giants superbowl for that.

And as far as the actual bolded part...let's take a quick look at probably playoff teams

Colts - Wayne and who else? Garcon?
Bengals - Ocho and ?
Pats - Moss and Welker
Chargers - Vincent Jackson?

Saints - Colston and ?
Vikings - ?
Cards - Fitz and Boldin
Dallas - Austin and ....Williams?

The thing is most teams don't have 2 top receivers. A lot of teams have a #1 receiver and a guy who compliments him well or a couple of decent receivers.

Receivers just don't impact games as much as other positions. Don't get me wrong I like Bryant and his game but we cannot afford to draft a receiver so early in the draft again.

Josh Morgan has been playing much better and he's a pretty good #2 receiver.

We'd do a lot better drafting a guy like Dexter McCluster in the 3rd to go along with an OT and OLB int he first round.
How about...NO!

How about ...YES!

Another one? Really?

What am I seeing from the Eagles? Did they win a superbowl that I missed at some point?

Honestly I don't even know wtf you're talking about. If your example is that they drafted Maclin this season...at pick #19...after drafting Jackson in teh 2nd round.

So why are they a good example of spending back to back top 10 picks on receivers who are very similar?

Because spending two some what high picks on the same position isn't a bad idea. We don't have the depth or actual playmakers at WR to leave it alone. If Crabs or Morgan went down we are left with nothing. Every great team that will be in the playoffes usually has 2 great WR's...we don't yet. Plus we need a return guy which Bryant is.

You know what great playoff teams have too? A very good defense. A great D and pass rush > great receivers - just see the Pats vs Giants superbowl for that.

And as far as the actual bolded part...let's take a quick look at probably playoff teams

Bengals - Ocho and ?
Pats - Moss and Welker

Saints - Colston and ?
Vikings - ?
Cards - Fitz and Boldin

The thing is most teams don't have 2 top receivers. A lot of teams have a #1 receiver and a guy who compliments him well or a couple of decent receivers.

Receivers just don't impact games as much as other positions. Don't get me wrong I like Bryant and his game but we cannot afford to draft a receiver so early in the draft again.

We'd do a lot better drafting a guy like Dexter McCluster in the 3rd to go along with an OT and OLB int he first round.

From the top....

Colts Wayne and 1st round pick Anthony Gonzalez
Bengals Ocho and high 3rd round pick Andre Caldwell...but they had Housh for years
Pats Moss and Welker
Chargers Jackson and recently released FA Chris Chambers..but they have Gates
Saints Colston and 1st round pick Mecheam
Vikings first round pick Harvin and high priced FA Berrian
Cards Fitz and Boldin
Cowboys Austin and high priced FA Williams

The point being almost all the top teams have 2 very reliable WR's. I'm not ready to put Morgan into that category yet. Like previously said if one (Crabs or Morgan) goes down who do you want to rely on to step up. Jason Hill has been MIA, Jones has been MIA, Battle is gone, Bruce is gone, and Z is a practice squad guy. We would be entering 2010 with only 4 WR's on the roster, that doesn't fit the bill. We will most likly have to drat a guy anyways so Bryant isnt out of the question.

If Berry, Spiller, McClain, and Haden are gone I have no issues drafting Bryant. He fills a need for both WR and return man. Granted I would rather draft a true Slot WR instead but his value cant be ignored and his skills would be very valuable considering we have become a passing team. Banking on the fact that we land a WR in the 2nd , 3rd, or 4th is great but if nobody is there.....what do you propose we do? Just because you want Dex (I'm with you as well) doesn't mean we can get him. I would love to get a Gilyard, Shipley, Ford, Dex, Tate etc etc but you have 31 other teams drafting. Waiting and hoping for a guy could leave us empty handed, if we have the shot we have to go for it.

Look at the past 3 Superbowl winners, at least 2 dangerous WR's. Right now we have good but not dangerous guys.

Steelers-Ward and Holmes
Giants-Plaxico, Smith, Toomer
Colts-Wayne and Harrison
Originally posted by joey82:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Dez Bryant is a sick player. To me, he graded out better than Crabtree last year, and if this team sees him on the board at number 9 (or wherever the team first picks), they have to seriously pick him up.

There are only so many game changers in each draft. Bryant is a game changer.

I would take Spiller before I'd take Bryant if we are going to go after a skill player with game breaking talent. I just dont think another WR is the way to go.

Why not take both?

Cuz at some point we may want to play defense?

Defense?? What is that?

Is that when you go get a beer while the other team has their chance to score?

How about...NO!

How about ...YES!

Another one? Really?

Bengals - Ocho and ?
Pats - Moss and Welker

Saints - Colston and ?
Vikings - ?
Cards - Fitz and Boldin

From the top....

Bengals Ocho and high 3rd round pick Andre Caldwell...but they had Housh for years
Pats Moss and Welker
Cards Fitz and Boldin

The point being almost all the top teams have 2 very reliable WR's. I'm not ready to put Morgan into that category yet. Like previously said if one (Crabs or Morgan) goes down who do you want to rely on to step up. Jason Hill has been MIA, Jones has been MIA, Battle is gone, Bruce is gone, and Z is a practice squad guy. We would be entering 2010 with only 4 WR's on the roster, that doesn't fit the bill. We will most likly have to drat a guy anyways so Bryant isnt out of the question.

If Berry, Spiller, McClain, and Haden are gone I have no issues drafting Bryant. He fills a need for both WR and return man. Granted I would rather draft a true Slot WR instead but his value cant be ignored and his skills would be very valuable considering we have become a passing team. Banking on the fact that we land a WR in the 2nd , 3rd, or 4th is great but if nobody is there.....what do you propose we do? Just because you want Dex (I'm with you as well) doesn't mean we can get him. I would love to get a Gilyard, Shipley, Ford, Dex, Tate etc etc but you have 31 other teams drafting. Waiting and hoping for a guy could leave us empty handed, if we have the shot we have to go for it.

Look at the past 3 Superbowl winners, at least 2 dangerous WR's. Right now we have good but not dangerous guys.

Steelers-Ward and Holmes
Colts-Wayne and Harrison

You have named some good combos but here is the common thing about every one of them.... none of those teams selected both of their star wr's in the first 10 picks and only 1 (Indy) has used first rd picks on both of their wrs. It just doesnt make sense to use back to back top 10 selections on wrs. The Niners have postions where there are REAL needs. Wide receiver isnt one of them.
Great teams have great players. Some built on O-lines, some built on D-lines, some built on OLBs, some built on secondaries, some built on ILBs, some built on QBs (most great teams have great QBs...90%), some built with WRs, RBs, etc... Great teams are not built on bad players--regardless of where they were selected, or what positions they play. If you can get a great player, do it.
this seems really retarded
How about...NO!

How about ...YES!

Another one? Really?

Bengals - Ocho and ?
Pats - Moss and Welker

Saints - Colston and ?
Vikings - ?
Cards - Fitz and Boldin

From the top....

Pats Moss and Welker
Cards Fitz and Boldin

Steelers-Ward and Holmes
Colts-Wayne and Harrison

You have named some good combos but here is the common thing about every one of them.... none of those teams selected both of their star wr's in the first 10 picks and only 1 (Indy) has used first rd picks on both of their wrs. It just doesnt make sense to use back to back top 10 selections on wrs. The Niners have postions where there are REAL needs. Wide receiver isnt one of them.

The only reason I agree with Bryant is because we have 2 1st rounders. Having that extra 1st gives us the opportunity to add another starter that should be ready day 1. We need more play makers, guys who teams have to game plan around. I think were about 2 play makers away from being where we want to be, that's 2 guys on both sides of the ball.
How about...NO!

How about ...YES!

Another one? Really?

Bengals - Ocho and ?
Pats - Moss and Welker

Saints - Colston and ?
Vikings - ?
Cards - Fitz and Boldin

From the top....

Pats Moss and Welker
Cards Fitz and Boldin

Steelers-Ward and Holmes
Colts-Wayne and Harrison

The only reason I agree with Bryant is because we have 2 1st rounders. Having that extra 1st gives us the opportunity to add another starter that should be ready day 1. We need more play makers, guys who teams have to game plan around. I think were about 2 play makers away from being where we want to be, that's 2 guys on both sides of the ball.

I agree - Offensive Tackle and Defensive End(OLB)

Just because we have 2 first rounders we should squander it on a position that doesn't need as much help.

Thank you NinerJohn for pointing out what I've been trying to say...teams that draft receivers early in back to back seasons simply do not improve much.

Josh Morgan is not terrible. Dez Bryant will be better but I'd rather have us improve our offensive line or pass rush where we really can use the help.

We can get a slot receiver later in the draft where the value hits the need. Not to mention a quick slot guy is a bigger need for this team than a big posession type receiver like Bryant.

It would also be really stupid to use him as a return man. I don't feel like looking it up but I'd imagine not many teams use their top players on returns and risk injuries to them.
How about...NO!

How about ...YES!

Another one? Really?

Bengals - Ocho and ?
Pats - Moss and Welker

Saints - Colston and ?
Vikings - ?
Cards - Fitz and Boldin

From the top....

Pats Moss and Welker
Cards Fitz and Boldin

Steelers-Ward and Holmes
Colts-Wayne and Harrison

I agree - Offensive Tackle and Defensive End(OLB)

Just because we have 2 first rounders we should squander it on a position that doesn't need as much help.

Thank you NinerJohn for pointing out what I've been trying to say...teams that draft receivers early in back to back seasons simply do not improve much.

Josh Morgan is not terrible. Dez Bryant will be better but I'd rather have us improve our offensive line or pass rush where we really can use the help.

We can get a slot receiver later in the draft where the value hits the need. Not to mention a quick slot guy is a bigger need for this team than a big posession type receiver like Bryant.

It would also be really stupid to use him as a return man. I don't feel like looking it up but I'd imagine not many teams use their top players on returns and risk injuries to them.

Let me clarify something that may not be clear in why I'm saying this. Bryant would be a possibility in my eyes IF we land either a FA OT or OG or both. IF we could fill both LOG and ROT in FA (high caliber players) then I would have no qualms with Bryant. If we get neither then yes OT becomes a bigger priority then WR in the first round.

As far as teams using main WR's as return guys...
Welker
Harvin
Ginn
Cribs
Hester
Royal

.......it does happen
The Detroit Lions failed to find success because they kept missing with their virtually all their draft picks. The fact they continually missed on WR's makes no difference. Substitute any position for WR in that scenario and you get the same result.

Pass on Bryant because you feel you don't need him, because you don't like him as a prospect, or because keeping both Bryant & Crabs on the same roster LT could be difficult. Not because you took a WR last year.

And if you feel we don't need him, you must be basing that on the play of Morgan, Jones, or Hill - because those are the guys he'd replace. Or on the emergence of VD - because he's a large part of the passing attack now. Crabtree's play shouldn't really be a factor, unless your projecting out 4-5 years (when it comes time to resign these guys).

if you want another reciever, take golden tate in the 2nd round..
Originally posted by bigfan:

whats with all this golden tate love??? its like some/most people here got him pegged as an automatic star
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by bigfan:

whats with all this golden tate love??? its like some/most people here got him pegged as an automatic star

well, as an Irish fan, I am biased, but he is fast, makes people miss, has strong hands, puts his body in good position to make the catch and shields the defender. plus he is a solid kick returner. I watched every game of his career and he will be a solid pro.. I dont know about a star, but I wouldnt consider welker a star either. just a solid player that puts himself in position to make plays and then makes them.

Let me clarify something that may not be clear in why I'm saying this. Bryant would be a possibility in my eyes IF we land either a FA OT or OG or both. IF we could fill both LOG and ROT in FA (high caliber players) then I would have no qualms with Bryant. If we get neither then yes OT becomes a bigger priority then WR in the first round.

As far as teams using main WR's as return guys...
Welker
Harvin
Ginn
Cribs
Hester
Royal

.......it does happen

None of those guys is the #1 receiver for the team and only one of those guys was drafted in the first round(later first round)

AND...each of those guys is a slot receiver type.
Originally posted by Overkill:
The Detroit Lions failed to find success because they kept missing with their virtually all their draft picks. The fact they continually missed on WR's makes no difference. Substitute any position for WR in that scenario and you get the same result.

Pass on Bryant because you feel you don't need him, because you don't like him as a prospect, or because keeping both Bryant & Crabs on the same roster LT could be difficult. Not because you took a WR last year.

And if you feel we don't need him, you must be basing that on the play of Morgan, Jones, or Hill - because those are the guys he'd replace. Or on the emergence of VD - because he's a large part of the passing attack now. Crabtree's play shouldn't really be a factor, unless your projecting out 4-5 years (when it comes time to resign these guys).

It all goes in together tho. I think it doesn't need to be said that if you draft a bust it doesn't matter what position you draft a bust in...but if you're going to get a good player - and that's what you're hoping to do when you select a first round pick. You should take a position that will help your team in the biggest way.

A receiver is not that position.

The fact that we have decent play from Davis, Morgan, and the other guys just adds to it. So does the fact that Bryant is similar type of receiver to all of those guys.
Share 49ersWebzone