LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 276 users in the forums

November's Mock Premiere by OnTheClock is here.

My goodness, a lot of questions I see. I'll try to address as many as I can here.

Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Hey OTC, which safety, or db for that matter, in this year's class reminds you of last years draftee Pat Chung who now is with the Patriots? He seems to have the game locked in already after a half season.

Darrell Stuckey of Kansas.

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

OTC, i remember you saying you'd be upset if we draft a QB, but why? I don't think Smith is the answer. I really really really really don't. You can find flaws with all the signal callers this year, but out of the Tebow, Bradford, Clausen, Locker, McCoy, Snead class, at least ONE will be good. And we have the firepower (picks wise) to draft that guy.

The team seems content to sit with Smith for at least one more year. Next year, I'm sure they will re-evaluate based on two things: 1) Smith's success, and 2) Nate Davis' development.

Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
OTC... Great breakdown!!

Charlie Brown seems a little light in the pants for an NFL tackle, but he does seem to be climbing the radar screen lately. There are only a handful of good OT's Okung, Williams, Baluga) in this draft and if we want one, we'll have to take him with the first of our choices, unless they are back to back. I like the Iupati selection a lot. From everything I read he is way ahead of every other guard in this draft. We need a later day Kevin Gogan or Ray Brown badly.

I love mock season, even in November

Thanks, DW. As you mentioned, there were several guys to pick from. Here I have the 49ers taking the more local product, which if you notice, location is almost always a factor when you look at teams' drafts.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
OTC.. as always you do a nice job on your mock. Just a couple of things:

1) Just curious if you think Charles Brown can transition to the mauling type RT. I doubt that the team moves Staley. I like Brown but wonder if Bulaga might not be a better fit. I think either would be solid though.

2) Iupati.. really like the pick but not if we have 2 picks in lets say top 12. In the past decade there has been 1 OG selected that high and Iupati does play against inferior competition. I think the Niners could trade down to 20, get a 2rd or 3rd rd pick and still select him. I just dont see Iupati being a top 15 selection.

3) Schofield.. I just really wonder if that isnt a bit of a reach. Do you have him rated higher than Hughes, Graham, Kindle, and Norwood? All of those guys are bigger and have been generally rated much higher than most.

I really like the order by position though:
1) OT
2) OG
3) OLB
4) DB - cb or fs

1. I firmly believe Brown easily has the frame to add more weight to play at 300+ and eventually 310 without losing mobility. I knew Bulaga would be the trendier pick for people, so I picked someone else this time.

2. The Iupati pick and remaining picks are based on the assumption that we make the playoffs. I'm projecting the picks based on what I think they'll be later, not where we currently stand in the draft order.

3. I'm almost certain Hughes and Graham go in the 1st round. Unless Graham times really poorly, he should go in the first. I have Schofield actually about even with Norwood. I think Norwood may be selected sooner, but I think even if he were available, Scot would opt to go with the better height (he seems to care too much about that) in Schofield. Sergio Kindle is overrated. Size and speed, little production. 3 sacks and 9 TFL this year for someone with his potential is pretty lackluster for a day one prospect. I might even take Selvie over Kindle.

----------

Other notes: I think there is a bevy of awesome talents that will be available at pass-rusher from rounds 5-7. To name one: Austen Lane (Murray St.) at 6-6 258 is a monster (in his competition at least), and he drops into coverage from time to time, so that really helps with a possible transition to 3-4 WILL. Unlike Manny, he's starting out at almost 260 instead of 240, yet Lane clocks in the 4.5's still.

Others include Auston English, Dexter Davis, Adrian Tracy (William and Mary), and Larry Hart (Central Ark.).

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 10, 2009 at 13:28:49 ]
Great mock OTC! I watched that Texas-Oklahoma game & Jackson did shut Shipley down. Was great job by him all game.
Hey OTC, if for some reason, we decide not to go after an OT in the first round, I know you had mentioned Notre Dame's Sam Young as someone you liked in the 2nd or 3rd round.

What do you think of Wisconsin's Gabe Carimi, he's definitely got the size at around 6'7" and in the 315-325 pound range, and Wisconsin is definitely known for producing some pretty darn good linemen. Do you think he would be a good fit at RT and who does have the skills to shift to LT if needed?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
My goodness, a lot of questions I see. I'll try to address as many as I can here.

Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Hey OTC, which safety, or db for that matter, in this year's class reminds you of last years draftee Pat Chung who now is with the Patriots? He seems to have the game locked in already after a half season.

Darrell Stuckey of Kansas.

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

OTC, i remember you saying you'd be upset if we draft a QB, but why? I don't think Smith is the answer. I really really really really don't. You can find flaws with all the signal callers this year, but out of the Tebow, Bradford, Clausen, Locker, McCoy, Snead class, at least ONE will be good. And we have the firepower (picks wise) to draft that guy.

The team seems content to sit with Smith for at least one more year. Next year, I'm sure they will re-evaluate based on two things: 1) Smith's success, and 2) Nate Davis' development.

Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
OTC... Great breakdown!!

Charlie Brown seems a little light in the pants for an NFL tackle, but he does seem to be climbing the radar screen lately. There are only a handful of good OT's Okung, Williams, Baluga) in this draft and if we want one, we'll have to take him with the first of our choices, unless they are back to back. I like the Iupati selection a lot. From everything I read he is way ahead of every other guard in this draft. We need a later day Kevin Gogan or Ray Brown badly.

I love mock season, even in November

Thanks, DW. As you mentioned, there were several guys to pick from. Here I have the 49ers taking the more local product, which if you notice, location is almost always a factor when you look at teams' drafts.

OTC.. as always you do a nice job on your mock. Just a couple of things:

1) Just curious if you think Charles Brown can transition to the mauling type RT. I doubt that the team moves Staley. I like Brown but wonder if Bulaga might not be a better fit. I think either would be solid though.

2) Iupati.. really like the pick but not if we have 2 picks in lets say top 12. In the past decade there has been 1 OG selected that high and Iupati does play against inferior competition. I think the Niners could trade down to 20, get a 2rd or 3rd rd pick and still select him. I just dont see Iupati being a top 15 selection.

3) Schofield.. I just really wonder if that isnt a bit of a reach. Do you have him rated higher than Hughes, Graham, Kindle, and Norwood? All of those guys are bigger and have been generally rated much higher than most.

I really like the order by position though:
1) OT
2) OG
3) OLB
4) DB - cb or fs

1. I firmly believe Brown easily has the frame to add more weight to play at 300+ and eventually 310 without losing mobility. I knew Bulaga would be the trendier pick for people, so I picked someone else this time.

2. The Iupati pick and remaining picks are based on the assumption that we make the playoffs. I'm projecting the picks based on what I think they'll be later, not where we currently stand in the draft order.

3. I'm almost certain Hughes and Graham go in the 1st round. Unless Graham times really poorly, he should go in the first. I have Schofield actually about even with Norwood. I think Norwood may be selected sooner, but I think even if he were available, Scot would opt to go with the better height (he seems to care too much about that) in Schofield. Sergio Kindle is overrated. Size and speed, little production. 3 sacks and 9 TFL this year for someone with his potential is pretty lackluster for a day one prospect. I might even take Selvie over Kindle.

----------

Other notes: I think there is a bevy of awesome talents that will be available at pass-rusher from rounds 5-7. To name one: Austen Lane (Murray St.) at 6-6 258 is a monster (in his competition at least), and he drops into coverage from time to time, so that really helps with a possible transition to 3-4 WILL. Unlike Manny, he's starting out at almost 260 instead of 240, yet Lane clocks in the 4.5's still.

Others include Auston English, Dexter Davis, Adrian Tracy (William and Mary), and Larry Hart (Central Ark.).

LOL.. To quote Jim Mora Sr.. Playoffs???? PLAYOFFS??????? I think the projections for the Niners 2 picks will be between 10 and 15. Playoffs are just not reality. With that in mind, Iupati would be a reach unless we moved down.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Hey, what do you know? The title even rhymes.

** Considerations and Expectations: We'll likely sign a veteran KR/PR and possibly add at least one FA OL.

2010 NFL Draft:

1. Charles Brown-OT-USC, 6-5 295 5.16

Plain and simple, we need a top-tier pass-protect who has the ability to shift and play on both sides of the line. Trent Williams has shown he would struggle severely if forced to play left tackle, and that's not what we want in a 1st round pick. This is why we need a guy like Brown, who I seriously doubt we'd shy away from even if he weighs in at around 295 at the combine, which he likely won't (I expect him to be more near 300). His immense talent and great athleticism could make him a top 20 pick come draft-time, and I'd be happy to have him here.

1. Mike Iupati-OG-Idaho, 6-5 330 5.20
Iupati is hands down the best OG prospect right now. He's a team captain, and he's got the look, the size, the strength, the power, the nastiness. Everything you look for in an NFL player. This is why scouts have him tabbed as a 1st-round prospect, and in the second half of the 1st round, we could be in excellent position to select him. Iupati is an absolute monster out there. Watching him each game is like watching a man take on small children in a wrestling match. Iupati manhandles opposing players, often tossing them aside as if they were mere ragdolls. Adding Mike Iupati would bring us a massive anchor at LG for some time to come.

2. O'Brien Schofield-OLB-Wisconsin, 6-2 248 4.63
What's so special about Schofield? Easy. His greatest trait is his ability to disengage and shed the blocks of tackles playing End at 6-2 248 pounds for Wisconsin. Schofield already has extensive experience playing linebacker before, so he not only knows how to rush the passer, he also knows how to drop into coverage and play standing-up, making him a perfect fit as a 3-4 pass rusher. Something that is important to note is that Schofield's fantastic numbers (16.5 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, 2 FF, 5 QB hurries) he's posting this year are all coming against top-notch competition. He had 2 TFL against previously #4 ranked Iowa, and 2 sacks with 1.5 TFL (not including the sacks) against both Minnesota and Ohio State. This tells us he's no pretender, which could be concerns for guys like Lindsey Witten of UConn who seem to only be dominating lower-level competition. I believe if Schofield has a good showing at the combine, he'll rise from his current 3rd round grade up into the middle of the 2nd.

3. Brian Jackson-CB-Oklahoma, 6-0 200 4.54
Jackson flat out shut down Jordan Shipley (who recently set a UT record with 270+ receiving yards) when Texas played Oklahoma this year, limiting him to just 24 yards receiving. Jackson is the kind of big, physical cover corner we need here in San Francisco. He excels in man-to-man and press coverage, and his ability to shut down fast/quick receivers like Shipley is something we're really missing right now. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jackson is on the 49ers radar already.

4. Dan Williams-NT-Tennessee, 6-2 327 5.23
Williams has made a very quick rise with some stellar play this year, putting up some terrific performances over the last few weeks. Overshadowed by other stars on the Tennesse defense, Williams holds his own along the DL. Both against the run and the pass, he is adept at penetrating the line with his fantastic combination of quickness, power, and ferocity. His numbers aren't huge, but for an interior defensive lineman, he's doing very, very well. Williams has 9 QB pressures with 4.5 tackles for loss and 1 sack on the year.

5. Kyle McCarthy-SS-Notre Dame, 6-0 210 4.58
While not from a lesser known program in the least, McCarthy has quietly been an outstanding performer this year, and with his continued success, I can see him rising very quickly up the boards into early day two. One of the most sure tacklers you might ever see and extremely underrated in coverage, he already has 5 interceptions this year, 1 TFL, and 3 Pass break-ups. He has also moved around playing both FS and SS. McCarthy is one player in particular that I really hope the 49ers have their eyes on and possibly would draft in 2010. He's one of the top safeties of the draft, in my mind.

6. Derek Hardman-OL-Eastern Kentucky, 6-6 300 5.23
Just an incredibly hard worker. Hardman can play on both sides of the line having started at both the right and left tackle spots in his career, spending his first two years at RT and last year and this year at LT. Last year, he was First team All-Ohio Valley at left tackle, and was noted as having caught a substantial amount of attention from many NFL scouts who believe that Hardman is a very special talent. It would seem his team believed this from the beginning, as he was voted their Most Valuable Lineman in his very first season as a starter.

7. Arthur Moats-OLB-James Madison, 6-0 250 4.58

This kid has had a sack and/or a tackle for loss in every single game this season except for one (a 35-38 loss to Maryland) and has really turned some heads after his marked improvement this season. Last year he finished with 8 sacks; This year he already has 9.5 to go along with 21 Tackles For Loss and 1 FF. He has 72 total tackles. Moats does not have great height and will probably measure in at around 5-11, but his 4.5-4.6 speed and high motor, much like Elvis Dumervil, make him one of the best players in the FCS and a player to keep your eyes on in the later rounds when looking at developmental pass-rushers.

UDFA: David Pender-CB/FS-Purdue

My Comments:

Pick 1: While I understand your logic in that the 49ers want an OT that can play on both sides, I think this is what has been hurting the 49ers under the Nolan/McCloughan era: favoring players that can play in multiple spots instead of pure at one spot. Baas, Rachal, Walker, Robinson, etc. All good depth players, but they have yet to prove their worth at the multiple positions.

I think Trent Williams is the way to go because we NEED a pure RT prospect, and Williams is the best one in the draft. If we resign Sims, I think the LT combo of Staley and Sims will secure that spot, and Williams and Snyder will secure the RT spot.

Pick 2: No disagreements here, but if Baas is a RFA, I think we may go OG in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Pick 3: You stole from my mock - you b*****d! jk

Pick 4: Jackson is a good prospect at a good program. No disagreements here.

Pick 5: I honestly don't think we go NT this year that early in the draft. If Franklin gets injured, you can bet your ass that Sopoaga slides to the NT spot and Balmer subs in at DE. Plus, RJF can play all 3 DL positions. Instead, I think we look for a WR prospect with this pick - either a huge possession type, or a shifty/speedy type.

Pick 6: McCarthy goes in the 3rd or 4th round IMO with an average combine. He could go sooner if Rolle stinks it up at the combine (should he get an invite).

The Rest: Good developmental prospects.

LOL.. To quote Jim Mora Sr.. Playoffs???? PLAYOFFS??????? I think the projections for the Niners 2 picks will be between 10 and 15. Playoffs are just not reality. With that in mind, Iupati would be a reach unless we moved down.

Until it's out of the question, the pick range that I have our second 1st in is right about at 20. We may not make the playoffs, but it's not out of the question yet. So the mock's second 1st rounder is contingent upon that. If it changes, you'll see an obvious change in picks.

Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Hey OTC, if for some reason, we decide not to go after an OT in the first round, I know you had mentioned Notre Dame's Sam Young as someone you liked in the 2nd or 3rd round.

What do you think of Wisconsin's Gabe Carimi, he's definitely got the size at around 6'7" and in the 315-325 pound range, and Wisconsin is definitely known for producing some pretty darn good linemen. Do you think he would be a good fit at RT and who does have the skills to shift to LT if needed?

Considering he is currently Wisconsin's LT, yes, he absolutely can play LT. I'll need to see more of Carimi to give you a better evaluation on him, but in limited viewing of Gabe this year, he moves amazingly well for a 6-7 325 man. He supposedly clocks in the 4.9s -- Now that's impressive. He's a punishing run-blocker and locks on and turns his man outside quickly for runs up the middle. I think he'd be an especially nice addition for our short-yardage game. The thing is, I don't think he's going to come out this year unless he gets a sure-fire 1st round grade, which he may not get.

As for Sam Young, he's done great as a run-blocker, particularly in short yardage (I've been paying close attention to how OL have fared in that regard this year). His problem is speed rushers. He has the long arms to compete with them sometimes, but he's not all that quick and can get beat by faster ends.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 11, 2009 at 11:51:52 ]
i wouth rather have Williams at Rt
Originally posted by GEEK:
Hey, what do you know? The title even rhymes.

** Considerations and Expectations: We'll likely sign a veteran KR/PR and possibly add at least one FA OL.

2010 NFL Draft:

1. Charles Brown-OT-USC, 6-5 295 5.16

Plain and simple, we need a top-tier pass-protect who has the ability to shift and play on both sides of the line. Trent Williams has shown he would struggle severely if forced to play left tackle, and that's not what we want in a 1st round pick. This is why we need a guy like Brown, who I seriously doubt we'd shy away from even if he weighs in at around 295 at the combine, which he likely won't (I expect him to be more near 300). His immense talent and great athleticism could make him a top 20 pick come draft-time, and I'd be happy to have him here.

1. Mike Iupati-OG-Idaho, 6-5 330 5.20
Iupati is hands down the best OG prospect right now. He's a team captain, and he's got the look, the size, the strength, the power, the nastiness. Everything you look for in an NFL player. This is why scouts have him tabbed as a 1st-round prospect, and in the second half of the 1st round, we could be in excellent position to select him. Iupati is an absolute monster out there. Watching him each game is like watching a man take on small children in a wrestling match. Iupati manhandles opposing players, often tossing them aside as if they were mere ragdolls. Adding Mike Iupati would bring us a massive anchor at LG for some time to come.

2. O'Brien Schofield-OLB-Wisconsin, 6-2 248 4.63
What's so special about Schofield? Easy. His greatest trait is his ability to disengage and shed the blocks of tackles playing End at 6-2 248 pounds for Wisconsin. Schofield already has extensive experience playing linebacker before, so he not only knows how to rush the passer, he also knows how to drop into coverage and play standing-up, making him a perfect fit as a 3-4 pass rusher. Something that is important to note is that Schofield's fantastic numbers (16.5 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, 2 FF, 5 QB hurries) he's posting this year are all coming against top-notch competition. He had 2 TFL against previously #4 ranked Iowa, and 2 sacks with 1.5 TFL (not including the sacks) against both Minnesota and Ohio State. This tells us he's no pretender, which could be concerns for guys like Lindsey Witten of UConn who seem to only be dominating lower-level competition. I believe if Schofield has a good showing at the combine, he'll rise from his current 3rd round grade up into the middle of the 2nd.

3. Brian Jackson-CB-Oklahoma, 6-0 200 4.54
Jackson flat out shut down Jordan Shipley (who recently set a UT record with 270+ receiving yards) when Texas played Oklahoma this year, limiting him to just 24 yards receiving. Jackson is the kind of big, physical cover corner we need here in San Francisco. He excels in man-to-man and press coverage, and his ability to shut down fast/quick receivers like Shipley is something we're really missing right now. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jackson is on the 49ers radar already.

4. Dan Williams-NT-Tennessee, 6-2 327 5.23
Williams has made a very quick rise with some stellar play this year, putting up some terrific performances over the last few weeks. Overshadowed by other stars on the Tennesse defense, Williams holds his own along the DL. Both against the run and the pass, he is adept at penetrating the line with his fantastic combination of quickness, power, and ferocity. His numbers aren't huge, but for an interior defensive lineman, he's doing very, very well. Williams has 9 QB pressures with 4.5 tackles for loss and 1 sack on the year.

5. Kyle McCarthy-SS-Notre Dame, 6-0 210 4.58
While not from a lesser known program in the least, McCarthy has quietly been an outstanding performer this year, and with his continued success, I can see him rising very quickly up the boards into early day two. One of the most sure tacklers you might ever see and extremely underrated in coverage, he already has 5 interceptions this year, 1 TFL, and 3 Pass break-ups. He has also moved around playing both FS and SS. McCarthy is one player in particular that I really hope the 49ers have their eyes on and possibly would draft in 2010. He's one of the top safeties of the draft, in my mind.

6. Derek Hardman-OL-Eastern Kentucky, 6-6 300 5.23
Just an incredibly hard worker. Hardman can play on both sides of the line having started at both the right and left tackle spots in his career, spending his first two years at RT and last year and this year at LT. Last year, he was First team All-Ohio Valley at left tackle, and was noted as having caught a substantial amount of attention from many NFL scouts who believe that Hardman is a very special talent. It would seem his team believed this from the beginning, as he was voted their Most Valuable Lineman in his very first season as a starter.

7. Arthur Moats-OLB-James Madison, 6-0 250 4.58

This kid has had a sack and/or a tackle for loss in every single game this season except for one (a 35-38 loss to Maryland) and has really turned some heads after his marked improvement this season. Last year he finished with 8 sacks; This year he already has 9.5 to go along with 21 Tackles For Loss and 1 FF. He has 72 total tackles. Moats does not have great height and will probably measure in at around 5-11, but his 4.5-4.6 speed and high motor, much like Elvis Dumervil, make him one of the best players in the FCS and a player to keep your eyes on in the later rounds when looking at developmental pass-rushers.

UDFA: David Pender-CB/FS-Purdue

My Comments:

Pick 1: While I understand your logic in that the 49ers want an OT that can play on both sides, I think this is what has been hurting the 49ers under the Nolan/McCloughan era: favoring players that can play in multiple spots instead of pure at one spot. Baas, Rachal, Walker, Robinson, etc. All good depth players, but they have yet to prove their worth at the multiple positions.

I think Trent Williams is the way to go because we NEED a pure RT prospect, and Williams is the best one in the draft. If we resign Sims, I think the LT combo of Staley and Sims will secure that spot, and Williams and Snyder will secure the RT spot.

Pick 2: No disagreements here, but if Baas is a RFA, I think we may go OG in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Pick 3: You stole from my mock - you b*****d! jk

Pick 4: Jackson is a good prospect at a good program. No disagreements here.

Pick 5: I honestly don't think we go NT this year that early in the draft. If Franklin gets injured, you can bet your ass that Sopoaga slides to the NT spot and Balmer subs in at DE. Plus, RJF can play all 3 DL positions. Instead, I think we look for a WR prospect with this pick - either a huge possession type, or a shifty/speedy type.

Pick 6: McCarthy goes in the 3rd or 4th round IMO with an average combine. He could go sooner if Rolle stinks it up at the combine (should he get an invite).

The Rest: Good developmental prospects.

Hey, I sit down on Saturday with my laptop and TV going, with Notepad open as I write up these things. I always wait until November to put out the first mock, but Schofield's been on my list for a while.

I don't disagree with your points on Trent Williams, but his struggles at LT might make some worry that maybe he just wasn't as good at RT as some may have thought. If we do go that route, we better secure a back-up for Staley because Sims is a FA and Snyder has looked worse even at Tackle than Guard.

Other free agents that could/will leave are:

WR Battle
WR Bruce
FS Roman
CB Bly
CB Harris
CB Hudson
OG Baas
LB Ulbrich

As for McCarthy. Probably. Some rate him as a 6th right now, but I seriously doubt he goes any later than the fifth.

Among top SS, including those who could declare, my list would be:

1. Berry (Tenn.) *
2. McDaniel (Clemson) *
3. Stuckey (Kansas)
4. Rolle (FSU) - Pending Combine.
5. McCarthy (Notre Dame)
6. Kurt Coleman (Ohio State)

We may not go NT, but I'm almost positive we'll add at least one DL in the draft, whether it's a DE or NT, we'll have to see. But they won't pass up a guy who they feel could be a 3-down lineman for us in the future. Franklin is in his contract year, so if we can't re-sign him, we'll need to draft a NT. If we don't get Aubrayo back, that could change our second first, or our second rounder into an almost certain selection of Terrance Cody (pending combine).

Of our guys Smith and McDonald seem to be the main guys who come in and play DT on the pass-rushing downs. Smith can play on all downs. We need another guy like him. Tyson Alualu could be that guy, if we don't get a NT and retain Franklin.

DE: Alualu*, Smith, Balmer, Jean-Francois, McDonald
DT: Frankling, Sopoaga (DE/DT)

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 11, 2009 at 14:25:04 ]
OTC:
How do you rank the NTs this year?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
OTC:
How do you rank the NTs this year?

Easy to rank because there are hardly any.

1. Terrance Cody-Alabama
2. Dan Williams-Tennessee
3. Jerrelle Powe-Mississippi (if he declares).
4. Jeff Owens-Georgia
5. Cam Thomas-North Carolina

Next year will be the year for NT's if we want one. So if we re-sign Franklin and he regresses, we'll have options. The list for next year looks like this:

1. Jarvis Jenkins-Clemson, 6-4 310 4.98
2. Jerrelle Powe-Mississippi, 6-2 340 5.16
3. Linval Joseph-East Carolina, 6-6 322 5.32
4. Phil Taylor-Baylor, 6-4 355 5.36
5. Kendrick Ellis-Hampton, 6-5 340 5.32
6. Anthony Gray-Southern Miss, 6-0 314 5.19
7. Lawon Scott-Mississippi, 6-1 322 5.32
8. Abe Koroma-Western Illinois, 6-2 317 5.12

• GEEK
  • Veteran

Hey, I sit down on Saturday with my laptop and TV going, with Notepad open as I write up these things. I always wait until November to put out the first mock, but Schofield's been on my list for a while.

I don't disagree with your points on Trent Williams, but his struggles at LT might make some worry that maybe he just wasn't as good at RT as some may have thought. If we do go that route, we better secure a back-up for Staley because Sims is a FA and Snyder has looked worse even at Tackle than Guard.

RB Robinson
WR Battle
WR Bruce
FS Roman
CB Bly
CB Harris
CB Hudson
OG Baas
LB Ulbrich

As for McCarthy. Probably. Some rate him as a 6th right now, but I seriously doubt he goes any later than the fifth.

1. Berry (Tenn.) *
2. McDaniel (Clemson) *
3. Stuckey (Kansas)
5. McCarthy (Notre Dame)

We may not go NT, but I'm almost positive we'll add at least one DL in the draft, whether it's a DE or NT, we'll have to see. But they won't pass up a guy who they feel could be a 3-down lineman for us in the future. Franklin is in his contract year, so if we can't re-sign him, we'll need to draft a NT. If we don't get Aubrayo back, that could change our second first, or our second rounder into an almost certain selection of Terrance Cody (pending combine).

Of our guys Smith and McDonald seem to be the main guys who come in and play DT on the pass-rushing downs. Smith can play on all downs. We need another guy like him. Tyson Alualu could be that guy, if we don't get a NT and retain Franklin.

Makes sense.

As for your pending FAs, I thought Robinson was extended?

If so, and the CBA doesn't get renewed, then we most likely will retain Robinson, Baas, and Hudson as they all will be RFAs.
Originally posted by GEEK:

RB Robinson
WR Battle
WR Bruce
FS Roman
CB Bly
CB Harris
CB Hudson
OG Baas
LB Ulbrich

1. Berry (Tenn.) *
2. McDaniel (Clemson) *
3. Stuckey (Kansas)
5. McCarthy (Notre Dame)

Makes sense.

As for your pending FAs, I thought Robinson was extended?

If so, and the CBA doesn't get renewed, then we most likely will retain Robinson, Baas, and Hudson as they all will be RFAs.

Whoops, you're right. Forgot about M-Rob getting an extension. I could see us letting Baas go. If we spend our picks on tackles, and/or sign a FA OG, re-signing Baas would give us basically 5 Guards (FA, Baas, Snyder, Wragge, Rachal). At tackle, you have to wonder if Boone would make it into the mix. (Staley, Rookie, Rookie, Boone?)
Share 49ersWebzone