LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Mock Draft (First 8 picks only)

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by ninergold:
Maddog, do you think the Niners will burn a high pick on a RT? I was hoping that they could trade down, still pick up a RT and perhaps a G and pick up another pick.

I do think they need to restock at LB. They got lucky with McKillop, but there isn't any young talent in reserve outside.

I never think it is a good idea to burn a top 10 pick on a RT, but the Niners might just do it. It seemed like they had Michael Oher second on their draft board in the 2009 Draft.

A trade down is better for a RT, in my opinion.

You are right about the OLB position. I'm still not convinced our guys are good enough to make a difference in the long haul, and I don't see Brooks as a pass rusher.

What do you think are chances are of drafting Berry, is it to far fetched to think we would steal one of the best players again? At this point my best case scenario would be to draft Berry 1st, trade back with are 2nd 1st and acquire an additional 2nd rounder.

Do you think we roll the dice and go after another QB this year?

Who are your top 5 OLB's for this year?

[ Edited by jreff22 on Oct 10, 2009 at 06:59:06 ]
In opinion, we correct the two weakest spots on the field with our two picks, RT and LG.

Early in the draft, the Niners can select the best OT left on the board. It might end up being the best OT in the draft, since this draft is defense top-heavy and there is a ton of uncertainty as to who is the best OT in the draft. I would think the Niners might be willing to trade down and draft a bigger-sized RT, who can drive block well, not just a nimble pass-protection stud. Ciron Black would be a reach early in the first round, but he's that type of jumbo-sized RT the Niners would probably love. Maybe someone else can emerge to make a good value selection that early.

I will say that Carolina is in real trouble at this point in the season, as their schedule is pretty rugged. They are not going to beat either New Orleans, nor Atlanta, and their non-conference is no snap as well. They look on a crash course for a top 6-7 pick.

As for the pick in the latter portion of the first round, one guy that jumps off the screen to me is mammoth LG Mike Iupati, from Idaho. All I can say is, "WOW". I saw him play last week, and he is tall, big, and big. Did I say BIG. Not fat at all. Just a big, broad, mountain. Great, great footwork. Looks like a tackle, not a guard, but just crushes people. Really, really impressive, and a guy you are going to hear about A LOT in the next six months.

Remember this name, Mike Iupati. He would make the bad memory of David Baas disappear very quickly. And, he looks like a lock as a first rounder. He's that athletic.

If the Niners can solve these two areas, and work very hard to improve Rachal's game, they will have a studly OL, which would be huge for our running and passing game.

I have a problem with that logic. If you could select between:
-Ed Reed
-Jammal Brown
-Richard Seymour
It would be a pretty good discussion as to whether you would take Reed or Seymour, but would Brown even enter the conversation? All three are all-pros, but only two are hofers.

My point is that if you took Brown over Seymour because he is more of a need position, or Brown over Reed because you already have Goldson and Lewis, you would only be doing your team a disservice by selecting the less talented player.

I would rather have 1 great player and a subpar player than 2 average players.
Bryant: dropping out of the top 10 now?
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by 23zack80:
In opinion, we correct the two weakest spots on the field with our two picks, RT and LG.

Early in the draft, the Niners can select the best OT left on the board. It might end up being the best OT in the draft, since this draft is defense top-heavy and there is a ton of uncertainty as to who is the best OT in the draft. I would think the Niners might be willing to trade down and draft a bigger-sized RT, who can drive block well, not just a nimble pass-protection stud. Ciron Black would be a reach early in the first round, but he's that type of jumbo-sized RT the Niners would probably love. Maybe someone else can emerge to make a good value selection that early.

I will say that Carolina is in real trouble at this point in the season, as their schedule is pretty rugged. They are not going to beat either New Orleans, nor Atlanta, and their non-conference is no snap as well. They look on a crash course for a top 6-7 pick.

As for the pick in the latter portion of the first round, one guy that jumps off the screen to me is mammoth LG Mike Iupati, from Idaho. All I can say is, "WOW". I saw him play last week, and he is tall, big, and big. Did I say BIG. Not fat at all. Just a big, broad, mountain. Great, great footwork. Looks like a tackle, not a guard, but just crushes people. Really, really impressive, and a guy you are going to hear about A LOT in the next six months.

Remember this name, Mike Iupati. He would make the bad memory of David Baas disappear very quickly. And, he looks like a lock as a first rounder. He's that athletic.

If the Niners can solve these two areas, and work very hard to improve Rachal's game, they will have a studly OL, which would be huge for our running and passing game.

What the hell is a possible first rounder playing at Idaho for?

Um... Does Jerry Rice ring a bell? Mississippi Valley State?

How about Central Michigan's Joe Staley?

1st rounders come from everywhere.

REALLY? NO WAY!!!! I haz no ideaz thatz was possiblezzz!!!!

I was asking how someone so talented found himself at a scrub school. Great players can come from anywhere, I just want to know why he is playing for Idaho.

Iupati was a kid who moved to America from Samoa at 14, and had never played football. He was a star in high school, but was still pretty raw, and only a two star recruit.

Being from Anaheim, CA, it made sense that he stayed in the West, and Idaho was his landing place.

Thank you MadDog, it sounds like he has a very high ceiling. The team needs to find a solution at LG because Baas is not getting the job done.
I think niners go BPA, and it's likely a defensive player will be at the top of the board. I think they'll likely address the RT spot with their other 1st pick.
For some crazy reason nobody here is talking QB That needs to be a pressing need in 2010. hill is not the answer.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerFan1977:
For some crazy reason nobody here is talking QB That needs to be a pressing need in 2010. hill is not the answer.

He's 3-1, has basically the same stats as Matt Ryan, and he is managing and winning games.

Unless there's a can't miss prospect on the board, it should not be a first round priority.

McCoy in the 2nd round!!!!

Lets draft a QB just to draft a QB...that seemed to have worked out well last time we did that. There really isn't a great prospect out there.
Originally posted by English:
Bryant: dropping out of the top 10 now?

Possibly

It all depends on his combine numbers now.

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Lets draft a QB just to draft a QB...that seemed to have worked out well last time we did that. There really isn't a great prospect out there.

Wow...noone thinks of Nate Davis like ever
Originally posted by jreff22:
Maddog, do you think the Niners will burn a high pick on a RT? I was hoping that they could trade down, still pick up a RT and perhaps a G and pick up another pick.

I do think they need to restock at LB. They got lucky with McKillop, but there isn't any young talent in reserve outside.

I never think it is a good idea to burn a top 10 pick on a RT, but the Niners might just do it. It seemed like they had Michael Oher second on their draft board in the 2009 Draft.

You are right about the OLB position. I'm still not convinced our guys are good enough to make a difference in the long haul, and I don't see Brooks as a pass rusher.

What do you think are chances are of drafting Berry, is it to far fetched to think we would steal one of the best players again? At this point my best case scenario would be to draft Berry 1st, trade back with are 2nd 1st and acquire an additional 2nd rounder.

The chance of us drafting Berry will really depend on how badly the Panthers play this season. I think he's a top 5 or 6 pick, so they better continue to tank. If he is on the board, to me it's a no brainer. I like Goldson and Lewis, but you move one of these guys to give Berry a spot.

Very unlikely the Niners would draft a QB.

As for my favorite five OLB's in this draft, I'll leave out the juniors and backers that really fit a 4-3 defense (Witherspoon).

1) Ricky Sapp- Clemson- Probably the highest upside, with great size and superb speed.
2) Greg Hardy- Mississippi- My least favorite player on this list, but you cannot deny his physical gifts. He's got to stay injury free and stay disciplined to move his game to the next level.
3) Brandon Graham- Michigan- An OSU fan who admires a Michigan player? Sure. He's a flat out stud, who hits like a ton of brick. Closing speed is scary. Height issues going to drop him down boards. A guy you want to go to war with on Sundays.
4) Eric Norwood- A shorter and smaller version of Graham, and one great player. Some smart team is going to look beyond his measurables, and get a terrific football player.
5) George Selvie- Fast and agile, and a terrific playmaker early in his college career. He's got to stay injury free and maintain his weight.

I also like Jerry Hughes of TCU, and he'll probably be drafted earlier than Norwood. I'm just not sure he is quick enough at the NFL level. We'll soon see.

As for Sergio Kindle, all the physical talent is there. However, I don't see the fire in the belly to be a great player.
Originally posted by nannite:

I have a problem with that logic. If you could select between:
-Ed Reed
-Jammal Brown
-Richard Seymour
It would be a pretty good discussion as to whether you would take Reed or Seymour, but would Brown even enter the conversation? All three are all-pros, but only two are hofers.

My point is that if you took Brown over Seymour because he is more of a need position, or Brown over Reed because you already have Goldson and Lewis, you would only be doing your team a disservice by selecting the less talented player.

I would rather have 1 great player and a subpar player than 2 average players.

There is no doubt that you take the BPA, especially if it at a position of need. As explained in the post above, if a player like Berry is on the board, you don't look at your roster. You make the selection.

However, in this draft, the guys I believe are special, Berry, Bryant and Suh, will probably be gone before the Niners select. Of the three guys listed, the most likely to be on the board is Bryant, especially after his suspension. The question the Niners will have to ask themselves is, "Could they possibly draft another first round WR, and how would that work with Crabtree and Morgan?"
^^and you have to factor in that Bryant will be represented by Sanders/ Parker.

Niners may not want to go through that again, I dont think they take another 1st round WR regardless.

they may target someone in the lower rounds, maybe even 2nd, not 1st though
Originally posted by jreff22:

The chance of us drafting Berry will really depend on how badly the Panthers play this season. I think he's a top 5 or 6 pick, so they better continue to tank. If he is on the board, to me it's a no brainer. I like Goldson and Lewis, but you move one of these guys to give Berry a spot.

Very unlikely the Niners would draft a QB.

As for my favorite five OLB's in this draft, I'll leave out the juniors and backers that really fit a 4-3 defense (Witherspoon).

1) Ricky Sapp- Clemson- Probably the highest upside, with great size and superb speed.
2) Greg Hardy- Mississippi- My least favorite player on this list, but you cannot deny his physical gifts. He's got to stay injury free and stay disciplined to move his game to the next level.
3) Brandon Graham- Michigan- An OSU fan who admires a Michigan player? Sure. He's a flat out stud, who hits like a ton of brick. Closing speed is scary. Height issues going to drop him down boards. A guy you want to go to war with on Sundays.
4) Eric Norwood- A shorter and smaller version of Graham, and one great player. Some smart team is going to look beyond his measurables, and get a terrific football player.
5) George Selvie- Fast and agile, and a terrific playmaker early in his college career. He's got to stay injury free and maintain his weight.

I also like Jerry Hughes of TCU, and he'll probably be drafted earlier than Norwood. I'm just not sure he is quick enough at the NFL level. We'll soon see.

As for Sergio Kindle, all the physical talent is there. However, I don't see the fire in the belly to be a great player.

As always

What are your thoughts on Rolando McClain? I know everybody will say we drafted McKillop but McClain is in an different class. Takeo is almost done with his career, same with Ulbrich so we will need draft another guy anways. If he does stay for his senior year I think we should target him in 2011, putting him next to Willis would make the best ILB duo in the country.
Share 49ersWebzone