LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 220 users in the forums

CJ Spiller

Cj spiller from clemson has been one of my favorite players to watch the last 2 years, guy is amazing and lightning fast. Right now i see him as a middle to late 1st round pick. We do have frank gore and glen coffee, If coffee does not play up to par do you think the 49ers would consider taking him with there 2nd 1st round pick? Probably not but who ever picks this guy will have a playmaker. I just hope seattle does not pick him up. OTC what you think how does he rank against the likes of best,dwyer,mckinght,scott,james,cooper,murray?
The guy is amazing in the open field & the ball in his hands!
This could be one of those needs vs. BPA type of situations. We have a playmaker in Gore, and potential playmakers at our other skills positions. Spiller would be a game-changer/breaker. We sorely need 1-2 lineman, a QB for the longterm, and a sack-generating OLB. I guess it all depends on who's available. But looking at the success of a Devin Hester in the return game, Desean Jackson as a receiver, and now with Percy Harvin coming along, it would be hard to turn pass on a playmaker like Spiller down if he were available.
Spiller is a special, special athlete and player. He had to share the ball with James Davis for three years and has had absolute garbage for an OL for most of his career. While RB is not a specific need, I have a hard time imagining their would be a better player on the board with our second first round pick.

Spiller could line up at RB or WR (kid has absolute velvet hands), and he's the best return man in the college game. I shudder to think what he could actually do with a competent offensive line in front of him.

I'm not saying we should draft him ahead of another need. I do think the kid will make someone very, very happy, and it wouldn't hurt me if it was the Niners.

He doesn't even need but one shoe:

After he posts a 4.3 at the Combine and teams get to work him out, I think he could slide into the 1st round. His speed and versatily, plus his added value as a returner could sway a team to bite in the #25-30 range.

I was hoping he'd come out this year, so Raye could get his Leon Washington-type player, but maybe we'll land him next year. I think it's unlikely we'll go RB early, but who knows? His draft spot could ultimately going to depend on how well he catches the ball. If Harvin only had average-fair hands, he wouldn't have been drafted nearly as high.

Spiller is more of a true RB than Harvin was in college, so the comparison isn't the best, but their skills sets are similar. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up being drafted. His return skills alone could warrant a 3rd round pick.
Originally posted by strickac:
After he posts a 4.3 at the Combine and teams get to work him out, I think he could slide into the 1st round. His speed and versatily, plus his added value as a returner could sway a team to bite in the #25-30 range.

I was hoping he'd come out this year, so Raye could get his Leon Washington-type player, but maybe we'll land him next year. I think it's unlikely we'll go RB early, but who knows? His draft spot could ultimately going to depend on how well he catches the ball. If Harvin only had average-fair hands, he wouldn't have been drafted nearly as high.

Spiller is more of a true RB than Harvin was in college, so the comparison isn't the best, but their skills sets are similar. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up being drafted. His return skills alone could warrant a 3rd round pick.

Spiller was given a first round grade by the NFL when he sent in his paperwork as a junior. I don't see any way he doesn't go in the first round. He'll tear up the combine with a 4.3something, and as you alluded to, his hands are money along with the return skills.

Of course, maybe our OL will bury him just like it did James Davis.
CJ Has the speed that our offense is lacking, imagine spiller on those little dumpoffs. If coffee does not play well i dont see why singletary wont take a shot on this guy since he loves to run the ball so much. He would also help in the return gm.
dude is fat as greased lightning
Now that Allen Rossum is gone we could definitely use Spiller!

[ Edited by PTulini on Oct 12, 2009 at 13:37:19 ]
Originally posted by PTulini:

I wouldn't be mad about that at all.

Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by PTulini:

I wouldn't be mad about that at all.

wow, i like to see my eyes on CJ Spiller. He had speed look fast, dodge is very good, bit stronger and almost everything is good. i like it.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
lol Buzz, you're awesome keep up the shtick, it's hilarious
I dont think he will last untill our 2nd 1st round pick.
Originally posted by thuglife619:

if jahvid enters it will be interesting to see where they both go
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by thuglife619:

if jahvid enters it will be interesting to see where they both go

i think jahvid is more electric... but spiller looks bigger and a little stronger. either of those two would be f**king fantastic. as i see good teams compared to ours -- we lack the speed that makes defenses honest. with either of these two or an extremely fast WR it would at least make the D think twice before moving close into the box
Share 49ersWebzone